Woodcock Opener

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Anybody going tomorrow for WC?

Interested to know what types of habitat folks are seeing them in lately. With the dry weather we've had in the foothills I wonder if they'll be lower down in the valleys/creeks/floodplains. Last few years for me it's been all in the hilly cutovers and small pines.

Hopefully will get up a covey of quail too!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I'm ready to try on the Yadkin after deer season goes out.

I have way too much time invested in my dog for her to get shot...

There was a good showing of birds 2 years ago, but last year the flight was early before season came in.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I will get out his weekend and let you guys know. I have a few wet areas and I hope to bump into a couple while chasing Mr. Bobwhite. good luck.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love these little birds. Cool birds that go unnoticed by most. I flushed one behind the house a month ago. Kinda surprised me that he was here that early, but there has been one hanging around back there during the cooler months for a couple years.

If I had a dog that would flush them, I'd be after them. Today would be a good day for it. I pretty much see them in the same places along creeks and low spots. Unless it is really wet and they are all flooded.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I'm tempted to take the pup out in the morning to one of the more local game lands. Are they normally just found in muddy-ish low spots?

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
From what I know they like the soft muddy areas to get to the worms. They also like fairly thick cover so they are tricky to get a good shot at.

Irish Eyes

Moved 10 birds this morning. 5 shots and one bird came home with me. They are here on the coast.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I'm ready to try on the Yadkin after deer season goes out.

I have way too much time invested in my dog for her to get shot...

There was a good showing of birds 2 years ago, but last year the flight was early before season came in.

I hear you on caution with your dog during the deer season. I'm lucky to have a few woodcock spots that are not frequented by deer hunters. My dog looks like a bright orange creature moving through the brush with a loud bell. She's not a far ranger like many bird dogs so she's normally only 50-75yds out in the thick cover we frequent for WC.

Had 3 points and I missed every one....dog looked at me like I owed her money. She probably had a few wild flushes, but couldn't hear due to the high winds this morning. She was very birdy for much of the hunt. Only hunted 1.5 hours....had to get to the office.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
All mine today were not in the creek bottoms. They were higher up in very thick cover and in the 8' pines in old clear cut like areas. Wet ground was not far away and saw a lot of chalk sign in the damp areas, but during the day they move into relatively dry, thick, briar filled clear cut areas.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I will hopefully get out this weekend. I think the base on Sunday is where I will get out. family commitments tomorrow would cut the hunt way to short. I will be in Holly Shelter after Christmas.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Shot a limit in Wake County.....saw a decent amount of birds

Nice...Didn't move any woodies or quail at HS. Could have been bad luck, could have been my young dog, could have been that I didn't know where to look. The pup did have some nice points that didn't result in anything.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I didn't get into anything on Camp Lejeune. Got out Sunday Morning and the temperature and the humidity were not on our side. Hopefully I can get out again Monday after Christmas. Maybe some public land this time.

jaed.43725

Banned
I never thought about woodcock. Do they fly off like quail, grouse, dove, etc? Or do they try and hide and such? What sort of habitat would I be looking for, for them? And can you hunt them with an air rifle or are they a strictly shotgun bird (if so what shot)?

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
They spring straight up like a rocket, then take off weaving and gliding thru the thickets.

I use to see a lot of them along the swampy areas thick with young trees.

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer
I am seeing a lot flying to the field just after sunset. Some days 20 or more. See more woodcock than quail.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am seeing a lot flying to the field just after sunset. Some days 20 or more. See more woodcock than quail.

if in a field are they snipe maybe? I've always seen woodcock in cover,,,,,but never know with them goofy birds,,,,,,,,,

odie408

Ten Pointer
if in a field are they snipe maybe? I've always seen woodcock in cover,,,,,but never know with them goofy birds,,,,,,,,,

Pretty sure they are woodcock, they are about twice the size of a snipe. They are coming out of a kind of swampy area into the field. I have killed a few, they have a nice white breast a little bigger than a quail.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pretty sure they are woodcock, they are about twice the size of a snipe. They are coming out of a kind of swampy area into the field. I have killed a few, they have a nice white breast a little bigger than a quail.

nice,,,,,there were a bunch down around Pungo when I hunted with Mike,,,,,,,,

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Got out in Duplin county yesterday. Got one flush and that was it for the woodcock. Got into two coveys of Bobwhite and the two guns took four birds. That is not on the rise we had to hunt singles. Anyway good times were had and the dogs were wore out.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Are the WC flights still coming through, or are they mostly gone now? Next time out is Sat afternoon, so if the WC aren't around I'd just as soon head up to the mountains for grouse.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Are the WC flights still coming through, or are they mostly gone now? Next time out is Sat afternoon, so if the WC aren't around I'd just as soon head up to the mountains for grouse.

I hope you're going somewhere different than I was planning to go this weekend. Every mountain between here and TN is now forecast for 100% change of a 1/2" of rain...

Yesterday is was showing partly cloudy all day.. Hunted in that rainy foggy mess last weekend. Not gonna do it again.....

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
That is not fun weather to be out in. I am going to get out again here on the coast and hopefully can get into some. When I am not looking for them I seem to find them easily. Hopefully this weekend.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I tried Sandhills Saturday for 2 hours before the rain came in. I didn't see anything, but then with a 7 month old dog and me not knowing exactly what cover to look in, I don't expect a whole lot.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Killed 2 on 3 flushes this morning.
Just me and the pup. She did great. One perfect point flush and retrieve.

Second bird she had just winded and circled back but it jumped before she locked down.

Last edited:

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Well the season was a skunk for me here. I got out about four times and only had one flush that didn't provide a shot. I don't know where they were this year. All my usual haunts were without birds. There is next year and the quail season is going alright for me.