What Weapon Did You Use?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
What weapon did you use to kill your first deer? Bow, muzzleloader, shotgun, handgun or rifle?

I shot my first one, a small 5pt on 12/10/88 with a left handed .270Win Rem 700 that I inherited from an uncle who was killed almost exactly two years earlier by a drunk driver. It is hard to believe he has been gone 30 years and that it has been 28 years since I killed my first whitetail buck. I still have the rifle and have killed the majority of my with the rifle. It hasn't saw much hunting the last few season but I thinking of changing that.

What did you use? Do you still have it and hunt with it?

Edit: I checked that buck in at the old Mullinix Grocery and got my first of many "Uwharrie Buck" hats. Good times long gone. Remember the old paper possession permits you used to get from the check in agent?

<>< Fish

Last edited:

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Marlin 336C 30-30. Small doe eating in a field of sweet potatoes after they had been picked. She came in directly under my stand, then I watched her walk out about 30 yards before dropping her.

i wonder how many deer have been taken with a Marlin lever 30-30?

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I got my first deer with a Bear compound bow that I bought from Kmart.

Opening day 1995. It was a small 5ptr still in velvet. I was shooting Easton 2117 arrows with muzzy broadheads. Still have the bow but it hasn't been shot since '98.

This thread brings back some good memories.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
6.5mm Italian Carcano bolt rifle when I was 12 years old,,,

when I was 16 I traded that for a Winchester M43 in 218 Bee (good trade),,,,,,,

a year later I traded the M43 for a Marlin 336 (bad trade - but such is the vagaries of youthful gun trading),,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
Old savage model 110e in .270. I worked hard bucking hay and logging all summer just to afford it.

Sold it to my uncle a few years later to buy a Rem. 700bdl in 7mm rem mag. He stopped by the house 10yrs later and gave it back to me. It still had my Hunter safety cert. tucked safely under the slip on ammo pouch.

I gave it to a young hunter a few years later, minus the ammo pouch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Remington 742 "Jammaster" in 30-06. No longer have it as it was a loaner. Almost 40 years ago and I remember every detail. Although it was a small 9 point, I had him mounted and still have it.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
shotgun....got it for xmas and killed the deer on the 27th.......1976....button buck.....got the gun, tag, picture, and shoulder mount still........

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
30/30 Marlin 336, small spike .
I got the rifle as an inheritance when ny Uncle died. That was the only deer I can remember taking with that rifle.

624c

Six Pointer
.308 win Savage Model 11, left hand bolt action built in 5 rd magazine with a black synthetic stock. My first rifle was a ruger 10-22 when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I'm 36 now. I got the .308 when I was about 13 or 14. That .308 is still my go to hunting rifle, in fact its my only hunting rifle. The stock on the 10-22 can use some good tlc but it still will drop a squirrel with no problem.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
30/30 Marlin 336, small spike .
I got the rifle as an inheritance when ny Uncle died. That was the only deer I can remember taking with that rifle.
I was 11 when I killed the spike, 19 when my uncle drowned. During that time I bought my first gun, an 870 Wingmaster, that I used to kill several deer.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
30-30 Savage-Stevens bolt action rifle that was ancient when my father gave it to me. Killed my first deer with it when I was 15, dropping a doe on a dead run at 50 yards

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Fat doe at 90 yards with a 300 win mag. Did more damage to the ground behind her than I did to her.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Savage model 10 in .243 in October of 2008 I was a freshman in high school 5 point at about 50 yards. Sitting on the ground against a tree in blue jeans with no blind. Sitting with my dad (goofball on here). He killed his first deer the next year with the same gun, an 8 point

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Got my first deer in Franklin Co. with a Fox Model B 16 ga. using a slug. Had no idea with I was doing but the old guy that was running the hunt dropped me off and said, "stay here till I come back". Some hours later, I saw the dogs passing way across a field to my right and looked behind me to see a huge buck coming straight at me along the field edge. Stayed still till I thought he was going to run over me and swung around. The deer lunged for the bottom and I swung and shot. The deer was laying right where he fell in the weeds. I didn't see another deer that big until I left Franklin Co. many years later. Still have the old SxS and use it for dove now. It was the first gun I ever bought using my whole summers tobacco money when I was 15.

Targetshooter

12ga shotgun , I got for Christmas in 1972 , that New Years Day we " my grandfather and I " went hunting and I got my first buck 6 pointer . I can still remember it as if it was yesterday.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Belgium made Browning Gold Trigger Auto Five, 12 ga., 2 3/4", shooting 00 buckshot killed a doe at Buckner the first year they had a one day doe season.

And as a side note; the guy who helped me drag out and gut that deer died on Thursday of this week. He was a heck of a hunter and all around good guy.

Still have the gun but haven't hunted anything with it in years.

mann919

Button Buck
Remington 870 12 gauge. I was 10 years old. Little button buck My dad won the gun in a raffle and I just pretty much took it over. Me and that gun have many miles in the woods together and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't deer hunt with it much any more but it is still my go to gun for turkey season.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got a later start in deer hunting than i might have liked. Shot a 7 pointer with my uncles ruger 270

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Doe w 264 win mag propped on dads Silverado hood w sandbags. Back in 1985 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk