What Weapon Did You Use?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Still have my Whitetail hanging in the garage, ready to go...

My brother and I shared a Bear 45 pound recurve before then...I remember the first time I pulled back a Whitetail, thought it was unreal...I ended up buying it and used it until the early 90s, then bought a Mountaineer, still use that one...

Now, guess who sold me that bow??? It was in Greenville, at Hodges Sporting Goods and I believe the year was 1976...
The fellow that sold it to me, Joe Albea... :)

H. L. Hodges Sporting Goods... Wow.... When it was downtown too? I never knew Joe worked there... Saw him a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
My first Deer was a button buck. 1985, Ithaca 12ga with 00 buck. Roanoke River lowgrounds, Northampton County, NC.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, it was downtown, him and a guy named Maurice worked there...When Jimmy Bond opened Bonds Sporting Goods, Joe went to work there...

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, it was downtown, him and a guy named Maurice worked there...When Jimmy Bond opened Bonds Sporting Goods, Joe went to work there...

Great memory....Maurice is my dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
1st buck was a 3-pt (velvet) taken in Oct 1982 with a Remington Model 7600 .243 (bought with tobacco money I earned that summer). Still have the horns with velvet intact.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Bow here also. Never harvested an animal with a gun in my comparatively short hunting career.

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Great memory....Maurice is my dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way!!! Pretty unbelievable...Tell him I said Hi!!! Ha!!!
He probably won't remember me as I moved away for a career and don't get back to Greenville much...
How is he doing? Health still pretty good???

I am going to the Expo the end of the month, the wife and I are making a weekend of it... ;)

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My first and second deer were taken at the same time with a Jeep Wrangler when i was 19. Pushed the grill back just a little bit and busted a fog light, but never damaged the radiator. Drove it for several weeks before getting it fixed. They don't make them like they used to...

My third deer and first intentional harvest was taken with a CVA Muzzleloader. It was the first deer rifle i ever bought because at the time i couldn't afford to buy 2 rifles and i figured i could use it in blackpowder and rifle season.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
My first and second deer were taken at the same time with a Jeep Wrangler when i was 19. Pushed the grill back just a little bit and busted a fog light, but never damaged the radiator. Drove it for several weeks before getting it fixed. They don't make them like they used to.

My wife's first & only buck was taken with a Honda Accord, dead center of the front end. Damage was in the thousands.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm thankful that I was driving the jeep. Damage was pretty minimal for hitting 2 deer at once. If i was driving any other car the damage would have been much worse. That steel bumper and all steel front grill handled it pretty well.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Hungry

Rem 870/ Dogs

My First Post. I've really enjoyed this thread.

My first deer was taken with a Rem 870 12 GA with dogs hot on her trail. A small doe. My second was about 4 hours later, same gun. Another club's dog pack had chased a cow-horn straight to me. Those two gave me the fever! That was the 2015-16 hunting season. I was 45! New Son-in-Law introduced me to his hunting club.

This year, my full first season, I killed my first with a bow, next two with a muzzle-loader and filled the rest of my tags with shotgun.

I'm already anxiously anticipating the 2017-18 season! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BackCreek

Spike
My first deer was taken with a Browning Auto 5 at age 11, I hunted with that gun up till my mid 20's then retired it. I brought it out this year age 42 and hunted a couple days with it just for old times sake. I have a lot of great memories with that gun hunting deer, ducks, geese, and swan with my dad and friends. It was my first semi-auto shotgun I ever got. I always wanted one because my dad had one he purchased when he was 16 (new for $125.00). Out of all the firearms I own I cherish those two the most.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My first was with pawpaws Marlin 336 30-30. I was probably 6 and we were at the farm to move the cows- not really even hunting- and as we got out of the truck there was a doe watching us about 60 yards away. He handed me the gun and that was the end of it, I was hooked for life. He passed a few years ago but I got his guns, and I still use that 30-30 regularly, though I took the scope off it.

darekzman

Four Pointer
I borrowed a Savage 222/20 over and under to shoot my first. Thought it was a doe but ended up to be a button buck.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Iver Johnson single shot 12 gauge, serial number 784. My Grand dad's gun that hung on two nails above his bedroom doe. He died in 1968, I can remember seeing him only twice. October 1973, Granville Co, Charlie Stovall road. Four pointer be run by dogs. Winchester 0 buck, 2-3/4" Super X. It was the first day I had ever deer hunter and the first stand we stop on. Only about five minutes in the hunt.

I know that road! use to hunt some with red bird hunting club years ago....

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
A spike with pawpaws Marlin 336 30-30. A few years after he died I took the scope off, but up until about 2014 it had a cheap tasco 3-9x. The gun was made in the 60s I believe, but the scope was much newer. The first time I ever shot a gun it was that rifle, and being a 6 year old I put the scope right against my eye. I shot and that scope left a cut all the way down my face. Pawpaw was worried because my parents hate guns and hunting, after a few minutes we decided to tell them I'd run into one of the barb wire fences on our property. They never found out the truth till after he died in 2012.

BWard

Button Buck
270 Winchester with 6x18x40 scope. Doe less than 30yards, all I could see was brown through the scope.

NC livin

I used a Marlin 336 30/30. Still have the gun and still use it sometimes.

The Lock

Six Pointer
My dads 12 guage Mossberg pump on 11/14/1987. I was 14. Running dogs and a 7 point tried to sneak out on me on Shotgun road. Dad died last February. He didnt care a thing about hunting. Just took me cause I wanted to go.