Davidson County airport killings

Harpoon

It would seem to me that there are plenty eager hunters out there that would offer their services for free rather than have to pay to do it. Seems like an opportunity and resource wasted.

To much liability...rather have capable professionals on the ground that wont shoot in direction of aircraft or take hail Mary shots.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Skyhawk is absolutely correct. We do not and will not have hunters come in to help manage our wildlife. We, as the FAA inspector told me, "annihilate" everything that is allowed, (deer, coyotes,etc), but encourage those that we can't (hawks, etc) to leave to eliminate any chance of wildlife entering the Safety Area. We have a very active runway thst is very close to where the wildlife potentially could be. We cannot simply assume that a hunter will not make matters worse. Ie, wounded animal crash in the middle of the runway, or worse, shooting close to aircraft, passengers, buildings, etc. It's a very controlled area with a high potential of things going bad. Just remember, it's not a farm out in the country with a depredation permit.

As evidenced by the jack leg that shot the passenger jet in the 80s at RDU and injured a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As evidenced by the jack leg that shot the passenger jet in the 80s at RDU and injured a passenger.

I well remember that one but that wasn't exactly accidental, that plane was in the air. That idiot had all kinds of issues.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I well remember that one but that wasn't exactly accidental, that plane was in the air. That idiot had all kinds of issues.

Yes and that is why regular hunters will never be used in these situations. With some of the crap I see 'hunters' do, I can only imagine what it would be like turning them loose around a large airport.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Not only that, but accidents can easily happen in a tight area with a perimeter fence, runway, aircraft, passengers, hangars with more aircraft, etc. You don't want to be responsible for that. Too many people involved dramatically increases accidents happening. But, if no one is actively eliminating the hazards, ie deer potentially being struck by aircraft, then you have another major problem. It's definitely a balance that the FAA and USDA take very very serious!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know everyone thinks shooting stuff is fun. I have a buddy that works for USDA, I have seen him waist deep in water with cottonmouths. Covered in goose crap after netting the stinking things to euthanize them. And remember when he got dehydrated from setting between the runways that were closed off shooting geese and gulls in Washington. All the fun stuff that turns into a job.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I just hope this thread stays alive for the sake of my Tapatalk feed...
ac071dfbee2a3a6b6f7fa5096b46a6ea.png