300 blackout?

Boojum

Ten Pointer
not sure if you were pointing that "folks who want to get one ONLY for the purpose of ghunting with subsonic rounds" at me or not,,,,,but my .02 cents is that I never said anything about "hunting",,,,,,,,,,,but yes,,,plan (for the 300 Whisper when/if I get one) is to use it for deer (and other critter) KILLING :cool:,,,,,

so your saying that a round fit for killing a 200 lb (+/-) man is also insufficient for killing a 135 lb (+/- here in NC) deer? interesting observation :confused:,,,,,,,

as brownisdown stated,,,,,it's about the BULLET,,,,,,chose the proper bullet :wave:

and FYI - if going on a "covert mission" doubt I'd pack a .300 blackout nor a 300 Whisper,,,,,,,since the goal of a covert mission is to conceal the sponsor and those two rounds are mainly USA oriented,,,,hardly a covert weapon,,,,,best stick to that 7.62x39........:ninja:

there are folks who consider the 7.62x39 quite the anemic little pipsqueak of a 30 caliber as well,,,,,,,,,:bass:

I guess I don't understand what you're getting at. I like the .300BO as a hunting round, and think it's plenty enough with normal hunting ammo

I just wouldn't personally hunt deer with the subsonic ammo that cuts the ballistic performance down to around half that of the supersonic. Deer are a lot tougher than people. Loads of people killed every day with .22LR, and 9mm and .380 and .38 special, but I don't deer hunt with any of those. I'm sure you could kill a deer with either one under the right circumstances, but I don't hunt with my Glock 19 or my Ruger .22/45, because I have better options.

As far as comparing the .300BO and 7.62x39, there isn't a nickel's worth of difference in them performance wise as far as I can see. They are both good calibers. I have actually shot the .300 a lot, both supersonic and subsonic, and like the caliber. I just wouldn't use subsonic suppressed rounds for big game hunting. That's just me.

Again, I think the .300 BO is a fine hunting caliber when you're using hunting ammo in it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I guess I don't understand what you're getting at. I like the .300BO as a hunting round, and think it's plenty enough with normal hunting ammo .

what I was getting at is that prior to your post #13, no one, from what I saw, mentioned using the subsonic version of the .300 Blackout nor the .300 Whisper for hunting,,,,,,,,nccatfisher and I just discussed that the c concept for the cartridge was subsonic suppressed applications,,,,,,you brought up the hunting,,,,,,,

so I went along and said that it was fine for killing deer,,,,,my application is suppressed in urban situations as a wildlife damage control tool,,,,,,just as White Buffalo does,,,,,thus my "give them a run on their business model",,,,,,,

and I disagree that a deer is harder to kill than a man,,,,,,,deer are tough, but so are some men,,,,,but yes - most people will roll over and cry with a belly wound were a deer will haul butt away,,,,,but neither will die fast - but a heart shot will kill both quick as will a head shot,,,,,

heck my 17 HMR killed a hog just fine today,,,,,and it only has 250 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle,,,,,,bullet selection and shot placement,,,,,,

but at the end of the day it's all good,,,,,,in most hands the subsonic versions are not normal hunting rounds,,,,,,agree on that,,,,,,and the AK round is still anemic!:)

Boojum

Ten Pointer
what I was getting at is that prior to your post #13, no one, from what I saw, mentioned using the subsonic version of the .300 Blackout nor the .300 Whisper for hunting,,,,,,,,nccatfisher and I just discussed that the c concept for the cartridge was subsonic suppressed applications,,,,,,you brought up the hunting,,,,,,,

so I went along and said that it was fine for killing deer,,,,,my application is suppressed in urban situations as a wildlife damage control tool,,,,,,just as White Buffalo does,,,,,thus my "give them a run on their business model",,,,,,,

and I disagree that a deer is harder to kill than a man,,,,,,,deer are tough, but so are some men,,,,,but yes - most people will roll over and cry with a belly wound were a deer will haul butt away,,,,,but neither will die fast - but a heart shot will kill both quick as will a head shot,,,,,

heck my 17 HMR killed a hog just fine today,,,,,and it only has 250 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle,,,,,,bullet selection and shot placement,,,,,,

but at the end of the day it's all good,,,,,,in most hands the subsonic versions are not normal hunting rounds,,,,,,agree on that,,,,,,and the AK round is still anemic!:)

OK, gotcha! :cool:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
and the AK round is still anemic!:)

The .300AAC will be but a foot note in the history of firearm and world history. The 7.62x39 is legend. The most produced machine on our planet has rewritten history with it. Both are adequate for man or beast with the correct bullet for the application.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The .300AAC will be but a foot note in the history of firearm and world history. The 7.62x39 is legend.

Yeap,,,totally agree

Kalishnokov was a gun design genius for a weapon of war

Helped that the former USSR shipped millions for revolutions around the world

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I have a 300BLK SBR with a SilencerCo Omega. My intent for it is to have it up in the tree for close range shots that I can't do with the scoped Tikka. Had that happen once - deer at the base of my tree. Too close to even see in the scope. The lower is a PSA - you can get them right now for $139 complete. The upper is from a place in TX - can't remember the name now. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Was shooting a 16" upper from some other place and it worked well. The BLK is a fun round to shoot. I cut down a bunch of .223 brass and formed it. Load them with 147gr MG pulls. Got some Sierra 220s and I think some Hornady 110s in the cabinet. Just need to finish up organizing the house after the move so I can get some bench time in.

buckfvr

Eight Pointer
I'd like to hear if others are using this caliber to deer hunt with and what bullet they're using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ihave been using it for two years now...Killed 8 deer with it and I use 110gr Barnes TAC-TX it is a heck of a round no more then a 50 yard recovery on all 8 deer

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
sounds like your experience is similar to mine. use good supersonic ammo and the deer have no chance.