The Duck Dog Searth Begins.... (Need Breeder and Trainer Recommendations)

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
As the title states... I think I am finally ready to get a dog.

Looking for Lab breeders in and around NC. Not looking for a random dog that had puppies. I want a serious dog with papers and a good hunting/ competition type lineage.

Same with training. I can train a dog myself but I would want to put it in a boarding school of sorts for a while I imagine.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciate it.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Rhett Riddle at Bay Creek in SC one stop shop for what your looking for. Training them yourself will create a bond like nothing else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Rhett Riddle at Bay Creek in SC one stop shop for what your looking for. Training them yourself will create a bond like nothing else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I trained a lab retriever mix in college that was my girlfriends and did a dern good job if I say so myself so I am definitely prepared to take on that task. As I understand it though its good to get the dog around other dogs/distractions during training. Ill need some new training myself as well in regards to making a duck dog.. One of my biggest pet peeves is untrained dogs. Unfortunately thats the case more often than not.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
If you go to some hunt tests you can see and talk to plenty of trainers during their downtime if they don't have a full day. You can see the dogs they have work and how they handle them. A lot of guys are also breeders and more than willing to give you a few minutes.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Lots of great trainers right here on NCH&F. Can't go wrong with any of them from what I've seen but buckbuster04 is the only one I know personally and he does a good job.

Last edited:

labman63

Ten Pointer
I'm going to be breeding my female that is a FT dog as well as a great hunting dog in late Feb early March. Wide open and full of fire in the field but calm as a lamb in the house. I'm not sure yet who I'm breeding her to but it will be a top FT dog.
Emma%20Thanksgiving%20hunt_zpsm3todmms.jpg

Emma%20Jam_zpswth4vpny.jpg

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
If you go to some hunt tests you can see and talk to plenty of trainers during their downtime if they don't have a full day. You can see the dogs they have work and how they handle them. A lot of guys are also breeders and more than willing to give you a few minutes.

Very good suggestion here. You will gain more first hand info there in one (or 2) days than you could possibly imagine, in addition to seeing some quality dogs work. I've met a lot of nice guys there that will happily help you out. Some of the guys mentioned above would be very good contacts too, they are proven trainers.

Here's a link to the list of hunt test all around. www.entryexpress.com

labman63

Ten Pointer
Thanks, This is the first season I really hunted her(took her a few times last year) We started in ND and now spending the rest of the season in NE Ark. The guys in the club keep bragging about her. The owner of the club calls her Hotrod.

Labmam 63, That's a fine looking animal!

britlab64

Six Pointer
Labman63,
Dave,
When you get a little closer to selecting a mate to breed your female with If interested my Black male is HRCH with a Grand pass ,Hopefully Grand title 2017.Master Hunter and on track for Master National 2017. He's only 3 1/2 and never failed a hunt test. Excellent pedigree.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk