Hunting with the Granddaughters

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Its that time. Granddaughters are ready.

2014, Took the oldest to TM Hunting where she slayed her first, 220ish yards, big doe, with her new MuddyGirl 243 Savage. (This after many trips that were good for practice sitting all day long but not so good for seeing deer.)

2015, Took both Grandaughters on a Sept Low Country Hunt to Andrews SC, where the oldest promptly missed 5 large bucks in three nights (all within 150 yards, all clean low misses. Eyes closed shooting! I think we have that fixed now, we'll see on Saturday evening at her uncles place. I have a blind, sticks, seats and a 30 yard shooting lane set up for her. Hopefully she won't be plowing furrows again this year.)

And where youngest was presented with 5 deer in two evenings hunting of which she decided to take a fine big bodied 4 point at 125 yards with Myra The Mini (an original and scoped 180 series Mini14 in caliber .223 using Winchester grey box 55g SP.) A superb broad side quartering to her and we recovered the bullet after about 28" of penetration near the inside of the off side ham. (That bullet will be bedded in clear epoxy next week or so and presented to her for Christmas as a necklace....her "Boars Tooth". And then the next evening, she decided to take a medium large button at 80 yards with a frontal shot. That bullet exited the off side rear....who says a 223 with 55g SPs aint enough gun? Don't tell youngin, she'll show ya different.

And tomorrow, me and youngest will be back at TM Hunting looking out for Bucks and Does (any size she wants) or a boar and any predators that happen to show. This will be youngest's first dark to dark sit (unless she scores early).

Got her outfitted in Paps hunting cloths. They grow so fast, she shifted from her stuff to my old fat man stuff since last season. But, even after a discussion of whether or not to wear girl underwear with long johns (she decided its more comfortable with just the long johns {agreeing with me for once}) and knowing it'll be cold and long and potentially kinda dull if no game shows up, .....

She said to me:

"I havn't been feeling well, but its hunting and we are going, sick or not. One of the things I look forward to on Friday is the rush I'll know I'll get if a deer comes out and especially if I can make a kill."

Yep.

She's got the bug, but good.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Ain't no indecisiveness with this youngster. As soon as she sees one, she announces yep or nope. Either way she brings the gun to bear and either rolls on hot or watches. At all other times....she's plays the shy Librarian Bookworm type that gets nervous at the drop of a hat.

Gun in hand.....rifle or revolver.....completely different young lady. Totally responsible. But, totally not the little girl I know!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Me too. I hope (but not with my wallet!) that she slays a Gagger Ancient Swamp Monster of a buck!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Myra The Mini. What a name. Didn't even know that till after last season. She just announced, "I named her, my gun....Myra The Mini."

Heaven help me if that ancient 180 series ever breaks down. Their ain't no replacing it and there ain't no parts! I'll be persona non grata if it can't be fixed!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be hollerin back here tomorrow evening. Course, she scores and we have signal, I'll be hollerin in the woods and on the cell at the same time!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like a perfect way to spend Christmas to me. Best of luck to you and your granddaughter, and looking forward to hearing a great hunting story soon.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
430. A gentle knock on the bedroom door, several actually, elicits no action more indicitave of wakefulness than a love sick cow like Moan mixed with a wail. I make breakfast and coffee and check back. Snoring. So light flips on and I call her name. It's alive! Ah hunting camp. The foremost challenge is successfully met. She's awake!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
In camp at TM Hunting with my youngest granddaughter. Hunting her first all day hunt. If she makes a kill it'll be her third and time for the naming ceremony. With success she'll be hereinafter known as KC....Killer Chick.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good luck, I look forward to hunting with my daughter. Got a few years to wait.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Noon. No deer yet. But lunch on stand is hot roast beef in vegetables and pretzel sticks with chocolate peanut butter

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Grooming my grandaughters for hunting.. we went out and setup some game cameras, checked out a ladder stand and ground blind.

2fe3e9062332625a58b87036c4928f70.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Cool! Great photo and day out!

We didn't see anything today, but are going back the end of next week for a retry. Little one had a fine time. Said she felt silly in all of Paps hunting cloths when she tried em on Thursday evening but was glad to have them and the sleeping bag today!

As for big sis, her day is tomorrow after lunch at her uncles place. At least I think it is. Her packed 16 year old social calendar changes minute by minute and I won't know for sure till tomorrow. But.....with luck.....

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
It was a great day. We are headed back end of the week to try it again.

Meantime, I have an almost solid GO from oldest Grandaughter, MuddyGirl27. Off to her uncles land today for a 1400 to dark sit in our pop up. I have cross sticks and a 25ish yard shot lined up over some corn. Short of aiming at sky or ground, she should be able to make a kill.....if the deer show. I think they might as its damp and kinda rainy today.

I'll be sitting in the rear of the blind monitoring. Glock 21 only. I considered a rifle but its cramped in the blind and after so many misses last season, I think she needs to get this one done on her own if at all possible.

Fingers crossed.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well....rest of the season is hunting solo.

Oldest granddaughter is working daily.

Youngest granddaughter is mad at me. (At 15 I wouldn't let her go on a 2 week multi state road trip with friends. So, she's "Hanging out and doesn't really want to hunt any more this year.")

Sure is easy to make the right call.....sure is hard to be punished by a youngster.

Ah well. I'll still enjoy a few days sitting in the pop up!

Last edited:

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
Making the right call has ruined my plans many a day but I love my kids to much for that to be important. On the surface the kids see an irrational man but with a little explaining they see a loving guardian.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I hope they go out again. We already called and canx the gratus hunt with TM (gifted since she didn't see anything last week). But...... :(

Last edited: