Ring necked duck question

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
Have 9 ducks on our lake that I haven't seen before. Using an identification book they appear to be ring necked ducks. They are mid sized divers black gray and white with a weird white ting on their beaks. I'm in Winston Salem. Are these common and could they be something else? Thanks

JD1107

If you give me a little more info via PM I'll let you know what kind of ducks they are. In all seriousness though they most likely are ring necks with what you've described. They're very common during this time of year.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Have 9 ducks on our lake that I haven't seen before. Using an identification book they appear to be ring necked ducks. They are mid sized divers black gray and white with a weird white ting on their beaks. I'm in Winston Salem. Are these common and could they be something else? Thanks

Sounds like a ringer to me. The weird white "ting" on the bill rules out the scaup.

Last edited:

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
Ting=ring! Thanks for the help identifying them. I've been enjoying watching them dive. All nine will go under at the same time. Must be dinner time. They are also keeping there distance from the mallards....

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like ringnecks to me. Had one come at me in the blind the other day, it was incredible. I was crouched down looking through the grass in the blind. He came around, cupped up over the decoys. About the time I stood up to shoot he apparently stopped floating over the decoys and resumed flight. He literally almost took my head off flying straight at us and just over my head at full speed. It was like trying to hit a 90mph fastball with him coming right at me like that. I just couldn't catch up with him. Needless to say he lived but it was something I will probably never forget.

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
That's pretty cool. I haven't seen the, in flight yet but my youngest has and told about how fast they were flying. The big group has moved on (mallards too). Now just have three ring necks at the moment.

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
Another question. So I've got 35 of them hanging around this morning. Only 3 or 4 are brown (I assume they are female) and all the rest are colored ones (assume male). Why the significant mismatch? The mallards are almost always paired up. Thoughts? Maybe this group has been shot up by you guys before getting here! Thanks for the education.

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
I also find it interesting that we didn't have any ringers last year and now we have had them for probably a week in a row with varying amounts. Different migration routes year to year?

adamwayne

ring neck.jpg

shot this guy in the marsh. Is this what you are talking about? if so you are correct.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I use to hunt a pond before the damn broke last year that use to hold 100-300 on any given day. Pond was only about 2 acres but covered in lilly pads and vegetation. Crazy when they would fly in 30-40 at a time. Made it like a big dove shoot.