What would drag off a mineral block

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I put out a mineral block/lick around the first of November and didn't see any activity around it or any sign of use. I have not hunted that stand in almost 4 weeks and all but forgotten about the mineral block until yesterday. The wife and I were riding around the farm with our dogs and I noticed the mineral block laying in the middle of the field about 50 yards or so from where I put it out last month. Somehow something drug it across a knee deep drainage ditch and then at least another 40 yards. I'd say the thing weighed a good 12-15lbs....I have no clue what in the world drug the thing off. Anyone ever heard of this or had it happen ? I'm in central NC, no bears and no hogs at my place.....that I've seen at least and I'm the woods fairly often and talk regular with folks hunting around my area.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My thinking is more along the lines of a someone not a something.[/QUOTE

My thoughts too at first but I can see a path where it was drug/pushed...and why on earth would someone go across a muddy ditch with cold water in it just to move a mineral block a couple of yards.

Last edited:

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Probably a bear that you've not seen. I have them drag, roll and tote 50# blocks all over the place. I have to secure the blocks by wiring them to stumps if I want them to stay where I put them.

ncboman

My vote is a bear as well.

Use loose minerals and if there's a bear around he will show you he's been there. :D

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Given the area you are in I would go with a dog, I have seen a playful young dog carry some big items. My guess the smell peaked his interest and he just carried it to he got tired of it.

robertc

Eight Pointer
Not sure what county you are in the central area but bears are getting more plentiful in the Piedmont.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk