Bow shot carp, catfish left to rot at Santee Cooper

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Yep it's a shame!! Prob a young teenage punk![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that....I have seen grown men do stupid stuff including stealing another mans deer and later throw it in a dumpster. Same guy will throw a nice cat he caught on a jug right in the ditch. Not too many young people today have the desire to bow fish.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I see piles of carp and gar around the boat ramps quite often. The sad part is that gar are delicious.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Cats and gar get eat, carp become yote bait or fertilizer

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
maybe it's just me but if the state considers a fish worthless enough to allow it to be killed with a bow, then i have trouble understanding "outrage" that they are not consumed.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I enjoy cat fish but it would take a tougher man than me to eat a carp. Never heard of rating gar.
In Louisiana and Ms. they go nuts over gar balls, they have been on the table several times when I have eaten down there but luckily there has been several other things to eat and I have avoided them. ;)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In Louisiana and Ms. they go nuts over gar balls, they have been on the table several times when I have eaten down there but luckily there has been several other things to eat and I have avoided them. ;)

Went for the pickled shad did ya? :)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went for the pickled shad did ya? :)
When this subject first surfaced about eating carp and gar I started to poke the pickled shad eating bear but I abstained. LMAO I should have known that wasn't going to get me anywhere. :D

No, usually when I am down there if at all possible I am pigging out on crawfish and gator, unless there isn't any available. Then usually they is always the traditional pig cooked several different ways which I never can pass up.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
People used to do the same thing with Striped Bass years ago when I was living in SC. There was a picture once in a Columbia SC newspaper a long time back now showing a pile of Stripers in a dumpster and the article went on to say what a waste of the resources that was...That wasn't the only time that happened over the years. I have never eaten Gar but a small Carp say up to 18-20 inches or shorter isn't bad eating at all to me..Catfish is one of my favorite fish to eat, we used to eat well with Catfish out of Santee-Cooper, the Waccamaw, Great Pee Dee and the Santee River..I still miss those fishing trips..

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Those of you that eat the gar, how do you get to the edible meat without breaking filet knife?
Go straight up the middle of the to of the back with a pair of tin snips. Then use knife to separate skin from meat. Cut out the two "loins" or strips. DO NOT LET MEAT GET WET!! It will turn soggy and mushy.

lil_shawn1990

Youre missing out on them gar balls. Delicious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
When this subject first surfaced about eating carp and gar I started to poke the pickled shad eating bear but I abstained. LMAO I should have known that wasn't going to get me anywhere. :D

No, usually when I am down there if at all possible I am pigging out on crawfish and gator, unless there isn't any available. Then usually they is always the traditional pig cooked several different ways which I never can pass up.

I generally agree with 99.99% of what you post on the site but Woodmoose's recipe is spot on. I could go for a bowl of pickled shad/herring about now. Does make me windy though.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I'll pass on the pickled shad....lol...hate to say it, but it wasn't one of my favorite things on the menu at the GTG at conmans that time, hahaha

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I generally agree with 99.99% of what you post on the site but Woodmoose's recipe is spot on. I could go for a bowl of pickled shad/herring about now. .

why thank you!

I'll pass on the pickled shad....lol...hate to say it, but it wasn't one of my favorite things on the menu at the GTG at conmans that time, hahaha

OK,,,,Two things:

1 - kudos for trying them,,,,,but yeah,,,they aren't for everyone!

2 - pickled fish is better than a DNA test,,,,,,,,,so no Scandinavian blood in your background!!

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
why thank you!

OK,,,,Two things:

1 - kudos for trying them,,,,,but yeah,,,they aren't for everyone!

2 - pickled fish is better than a DNA test,,,,,,,,,so no Scandinavian blood in your background!!

My taste for pickled fish is from my German DNA. Only problem with it is every woman I have been with makes me sleep outdoors after indulging. Stuff is worse on me that pickled eggs. Not to Hijack Woodmoose but have you ever made the pickled shad with cream sauce?

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Those of you that eat the gar, how do you get to the edible meat without breaking filet knife?

Chop the head and tail off with a machete or hatchet or bandsaw (don't ask,) then go down the center of the back with snips or shears, and cut out the backstraps just like you would a deer. You will wind up with two pieces of clean, white, boneless meat that is great fried, blackened, or grilled, as long as you don't overcook it. Gar meat isn't like most fish. It's not flaky, and doesn't taste fishy. It's somewhat of a texture/taste between lobster and alligator tail.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,Not to Hijack Woodmoose but have you ever made the pickled shad with cream sauce?

only by cheating,,,,,,adding sour cream to my pickled shad,,,,,not the same really but good,,,,,,,,and yummy on crackers (well except for nccatfisher and zombie,,,,,they can have Vienna sausage with the kids!!)

Last edited:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
only by cheating,,,,,,adding sour cream to my pickled shad,,,,,not the same really but good,,,,,,,,and yummy on crackers (well except for nccatfisher and zombie,,,,,they can have Vienna sausage with the kids!!)
I'll take beanee weenees with my nabs!
7c560b2439e8af2540c9047aafedbb21.jpg