Rare Color Phase Sparrow

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sorry for the grainy and out of focus pic, but I thought I'd post it anyway as you just don't see them very often.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
That's pretty cool.
About 20 or so years ago I noticed a white-ish (not sure if 100% white) starling flying in a large flock of starlings.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good catch...I think there's a name for that...Starts with the letter 'L' but for the life of me I couldn't begin to spell it

Rjratliff1975

Great pic!! I saw a sparrow nearly identical to that about 10 years. I love anything that's oddly colored. I think that is called leucism.

Rjratliff1975

Sorry for the grainy and out of focus pic, but I thought I'd post it anyway as you just don't see them very often.

Hopefully it will stick around. The one I saw flew away before I could get a pic, never to be seen again.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
That's neat, never saw one of those of any variety.

I have a weird bird which hangs around in the shrubbery in front of the house but for the life of me I can't get a picture of him. It's marked up like a female house finch but with a shorter tail and a body that's just a hair bigger than a bluebird. The thing acts like it isn't operating on all cylinders, kinda dopey and not well coordinated. It doesn't hang out with any other birds, solo every time I see it, it has me wondering if one of my bluebird males got tired of the house finches following it around all the time and decided to cross the line. Bluebirds are thrushes and I don't know if they can crossbreed with finches, but this one looks suspect.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My little white sparrow has made a few more appearances since the initial pic I posted. About 100' is as close as I can get to him though.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
IMG_0014.jpgThat's a neat color phase. Greats pics too btw. We had a male cardinal show up two consecutive springs that was colored like the sparrow except where ever you see brown was pink on the cardinal. We have a few blurry pictures of it, nothing like you have.

Last edited: