Shaney B gets his first fox squirrel

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I've had the opportunity to mentor this young fella, one of my wife's cousins, who lost his Daddy to a heart attack when he was two. Last year was the first year I put him behind my CZ Scout at 35 yards to give him some range time and familiarity with the rifle. He did well enough at 35 yards, that I though he could take a squirrel. We took to the woods once last season, but no shot opportunities arose. So this year I decided I'd put him on a fox squirrel, bigger target right? He'd never seen one so he didn't really realize how much larger they really were. I was able to capture the whole hunt on video. I'll end by saying this, any opportunity you have to take a youth in the woods, make sure it happens. If I don't take another squirrel this year, I'm good.

[video=youtube;sW0BmQpgRLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW0BmQpgRLQ[/video]

1ef54a9bb00b6a47be809443b0b5f75a.jpg

Last edited:

Rjratliff1975

That's awesome! Very nice of you. Congrats to him on a beautiful fox squirrel. He should have that one mounted!

Rjratliff1975

Thanks! It's already in my freezer. His Mama said, "Not in my freezer!" I was happy to make the space. It'll soon be at the taxidermist.

That's great! I have been keeping up with you on squirrel hunting journal for a couple years now. Great videos! You guys sure seem to have fun. I envy all the different color phases of fox squirrels you all have in NC. I live in TN. Here we have lots of foxes but most are the reddish orange color, with other phases being extremely rare.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
That's great! I have been keeping up with you on squirrel hunting journal for a couple years now. Great videos! You guys sure seem to have fun. I envy all the different color phases of fox squirrels you all have in NC. I live in TN. Here we have lots of foxes but most are the reddish orange color, with other phases being extremely rare.

We do try to make it enjoyable. I hunted the version of fox squirrels y'all have to kick the season off in the Shenandoah mountains of Virginia. I think they're a tougher species to hunt, quite a bit more leary. Thanks for keeping up with our adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
That is a great hunt. It is more successful than just taking the squirrel. You are doing more good for that young man than you will ever realize. good job to both of you.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
That is a great hunt. It is more successful than just taking the squirrel. You are doing more good for that young man than you will ever realize. good job to both of you.

I certainly appreciate it. It was a good time for both of us. He's now excited to take a ride to the taxidermist to see how he'd like his squirrel mounted.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
We do try to make it enjoyable. I hunted the version of fox squirrels y'all have to kick the season off in the Shenandoah mountains of Virginia. I think they're a tougher species to hunt, quite a bit more leary. Thanks for keeping up with our adventures.

Nate the fox squirrel he has is most likely the one that ranges from Alabama north into Tennessee ....it has the mask like ours but doesnt get as large whereas the one in nw nc sw Va and WV doesnt usually have the mask.

Rjratliff1975

Nate, Just wanted to say congrats. You guys have taken some really nice fox squirrels this season! That saddleback with the black tail is especially nice. A real beauty!