Shot em up

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess we need to leave the hens out of the pics from now on so the" HOLIER THAN THOU CROWD" will not be offended.......

ChasinTrophies

Yeah, I heard it was called "duck hunting" and last I checked hens were ducks. So.... I shoot the ducks. If there's an easy opportunity to be selective I'll just shoot the drakes, but most of the time until I'm worried about my limit of hens, I just shoot the easiest target.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Yeah, I heard it was called "duck hunting" and last I checked hens were ducks. So.... I shoot the ducks. If there's an easy opportunity to be selective I'll just shoot the drakes, but most of the time until I'm worried about my limit of hens, I just shoot the easiest target.

Do you deer hunt? Just wondering because of your name?

Last edited:

dbohunts

Six Pointer
Any idea of how many chicks a hen produces over her lifetime?? Consider that...

That's for the FWS to consider. If you want to talk about more mature ethics, then stop busting a kids balls about shooting a hen duck which is perfectly in his legal right to do.

Consider this.. It's a waterfowl hunting forum and you're offended by seeing pictures of dead ducks.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
That's for the FWS to consider. If you want to talk about more mature ethics, then stop busting a kids balls about shooting a hen duck which is perfectly in his legal right to do.

Consider this.. It's a waterfowl hunting forum and you're offended by seeing pictures of dead ducks.

Get him a safety pin, granola bar, and a bottle of water. I'll bring my companion dog.

[emoji3]

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I do indeed

Since its called "deer hunting" and 2.5-3.5 year old bucks are deer, do you shoot them since they're easy targets or opt to hold out for a mature buck? Kinda the same principle, not trying to be a smart aleck as you were in your post just wondering your take on deer versus ducks...chasin trophies to me means chasing big bucks

Last edited:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
james, some very "good" duck hunters, and frequent posters, got busted about a year ago near Wilson for enticing ducks. Many of the same types of young hunters in my area are trying the same shortcuts. It will catch up with you. 3 to 4 impoundments in Hyde got raided by GW's on the first Saturday of this split. some of their members posted piles of ducks on forums.

jamesmyers14

Eight Pointer
james, some very "good" duck hunters, and frequent posters, got busted about a year ago near Wilson for enticing ducks. Many of the same types of young hunters in my area are trying the same shortcuts. It will catch up with you. 3 to 4 impoundments in Hyde got raided by GW's on the first Saturday of this split. some of their members posted piles of ducks on forums.

Your saying because I shoot ducks I bait? I do not bait I like my truck and my gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Apple to oranges man. I see what you're trying to do and that's a reach at best.

Hey just turning the tables on his earlier post about shooting ducks because it's called "duck hunting". Might have taken advantage of his name a little...no harm meant

Last edited:

ChasinTrophies

Since its called "deer hunting" and 2.5-3.5 year old bucks are deer, do you shoot them since they're easy targets or opt to hold out for a mature buck? Kinda the same principle, not trying to be a smart aleck as you were in your post just wondering your take on deer versus ducks...chasin trophies to me means chasing big bucks

Nope, I shoot does. And realistically I shoot whatever I feel like that's legal. It is called deer hunting. Same principle indeed my good sir. By the way, do you have a degree in wildlife biology?

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Nope, I shoot does. And realistically I shoot whatever I feel like that's legal. It is called deer hunting. Same principle indeed my good sir. By the way, do you have a degree in wildlife biology?

That sir, I do not.But it doesn't take a biologist to know if I let a hen go she may go on to reproduce. Or if I let a 2.5 year old buck walk he may grow into a mature deer. A and if I choose to shoot them there's a 100% chance that they wont...I have not condemned anyone who does, that's just me

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
OMG I really have to wonder how many of these guys have ever really hunted ducks. In low light and bad weather y'all are a hell of a lot better then me at identifying what sex a duck is. Been hunting here for 40 years and generally when the birds are flying here it's pretty hard to identify what are hens and drakes. I'll bet that over 90% of the ducks I have shot have been in the first hour or so of LST when the light is bad. This ain't Arkansas or Louisiana where there are so many ducks that they fly in bright sunny weather.
As to killing that many ducks around Wilson, I hunt this area and know it very well. There aren't concentrations of ducks like that here without some assistance shall we say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
After reading through this, and other past threads that tend to go in this direction, I am reminded of the old saying, that sometimes...

...We are our worse enemy!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Not necessarily holier, just more mature ethics.....

I am about tired of it being called ethics when it comes to taking a legal bird. It is not bad ethics to shot one, if so you are saying we are unethical. In my area we hunt swamps, we have wood ducks, we have duck boxes in all the swamps. We get a few mallards and teal and geese, that is it. We can't be picky if we want to have enough to cook. Also in the swamps it is impossible to see what they are when the woodies are flying. This conversation is about as stupid as the guy who look down on deer hunters for shooting anything for meat. We all buy a license we should hunt how we want no matter the game!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm just reading through this, laughing at both sides, but I do have a question: When did it become unethical to put up meat in the freezer? You do know that the season doesn't last all year, right?

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can we get a thread started for the "better than everyone else" duck hunters to use and show the pics of only drake ducks they shoot.......My guess would be that they wait for the ducks to land on the water and then shoot the drakes......You will never convince me that you are good enough to tell the sex of first light birds...... Just because you have hunted for 30 years doesn't make you any better than a kid that puts his work in and(legally) has a good shoot...... I have been hunting NC ducks for 30 years and have never shot a 6 duck limit......I have taken my limit of woodies many times.....never hunted over bait either. Only been to the coast once.....still didn't kill a limit.....going back this weekend....maybe I can get a limit of ducks for the freezer!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am about tired of it being called ethics when it comes to taking a legal bird. It is not bad ethics to shot one, if so you are saying we are unethical. In my area we hunt swamps, we have wood ducks, we have duck boxes in all the swamps. We get a few mallards and teal and geese, that is it. We can't be picky if we want to have enough to cook. Also in the swamps it is impossible to see what they are when the woodies are flying. This conversation is about as stupid as the guy who look down on deer hunters for shooting anything for meat. We all buy a license we should hunt how we want no matter the game!

Spot on comments Jeremy

If the bird is legal then what does it matter if it's a drake or a hen? I been hunting ducks for a while now and I have not once been able to tell the difference between a hen or drake anything at first light except for a couple times that I can remember. Kid had a good shoot, good for him. I don't like the tailgate pictures with the hats and what not but that's his prerogative. After all this is a mostly free country, right? Different strokes and all that. Nothing unethical, so far as I can tell, about shooting a hen.

Last edited:

ChasinTrophies

...I have not condemned anyone who does, that's just me...

If that's just you, then why are we still talking about this? You have your opinion, I have mine. Us "unethical," yet still completely legal, hunters will shoot the hens you and bailey pass up, it all will be fine!

Last edited:

Snake Oil

Four Pointer
I've got zero problems shooting hens if they come into my spread. One of my greatest pleasures in duck hunting is to watch my dog work. I'm a proud papa when he makes a blind retrieve on a duck that glided off a good bit away or we he roots out a cripple he marked down on the bank. I'm fairly confident he doesn't know or care about the duck's gender.