Neighbors dam is causing problems

lutz40

Four Pointer
We haven't contacted anyone yet. His house/land is under contract and we didn't want to be shot for sabotaging his sell. We plan on addressing the issue, it's just a matter of doing it at the right time....if there is such a thing.

witler

Eight Pointer
Call every alphabet govt. agency that will answer the phone.
Not at the county level, but state and federal level.
They will have no sense of humor about this.

Got point BBB, don't waste time at County level, start with State and Feds. Remember yrs. ago we were building in Chatham County had a time getting perked, a real jerk of an inspector. I call State in Raleigh, two weeks later they were installing out septic system. For some reason there seems to be a lot of 'brain freeze' at lower levels.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We haven't contacted anyone yet. His house/land is under contract and we didn't want to be shot for sabotaging his sell. We plan on addressing the issue, it's just a matter of doing it at the right time....if there is such a thing.

So you're going to let the soon-to-be owner pay fines for the current owner's wrong doing? I may be reading it wrong, but that's what I'm getting. I'd say the right time has passed, but you should address soon.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So you're going to let the soon-to-be owner pay fines for the current owner's wrong doing? I may be reading it wrong, but that's what I'm getting. I'd say the right time has passed, but you should address soon.
He stated that they have brought it up with the owner and the selling agent. Neither of them seemed to care. A real estate agent is going to be losing their job soon.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
He stated that they have brought it up with the owner and the selling agent. Neither of them seemed to care. A real estate agent is going to be losing their job soon.

Couldn't [just] phone conversations, set the agent and seller up for some type of plausible deniability(as far as selling and not disclosing?) With no paper trail between them it would be hard to prove said conversations.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Couldn't [just] phone conversations, set the agent and seller up for some type of plausible deniability(as far as selling and not disclosing?) With no paper trail between them it would be hard to prove said conversations.

Yeah...an email to the Agent would probably be better.

lutz40

Four Pointer
There have been meticulous notes taken per each conversation, along with a dates and times. I will update as the situation unfolds.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You've had a lot of good advice on how to remedy the situation or at least get the right people involved to determine the cause. If you choose to sit on your hands and not follow through that's your own fault. If you're really worried that this guy may shoot you then you have much bigger problems than sediment.

lutz40

Four Pointer
You've had a lot of good advice on how to remedy the situation or at least get the right people involved to determine the cause. If you choose to sit on your hands and not follow through that's your own fault. If you're really worried that this guy may shoot you then you have much bigger problems than sediment.

I thanked those who gave input and insight. Never said that we were just going to sit on our hands and do nothing. I am a VERY firm believer in SELF PRESERVATION, especially in today's society. Don't try to undermine me by making assumptions about what we may or may not do. I said I would update on here as the situation plays out. We don't make hasty decisions and regardless of the disagreements we've had with this neighbor over this situation, we don't want to see him fined thousands upon thousands of dollars. That's just not the type of people we are.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
............. regardless of the disagreements we've had with this neighbor over this situation, we don't want to see him fined thousands upon thousands of dollars. That's just not the type of people we are.

You are definitely a lot more patient than most but given the scenario where you've said you've already tried approaching the situation with the neighbor politely and he was non responsive at best and hostile at the very least I highly doubt you'll have any luck getting him to do anything. I guess best case scenario is whoever buys the property listens to you and can go after the realtor for non disclosure and fix the issues which likely gets the environmental folks involved. Otherwise the only way your neighbor isn't getting pulled into things is you get a backhoe and dig out the sediment but I would do that at your own risk because at that point your impacting a natural stream also. I apologize if what I said stepped on your toes as that wasn't the intent but it sure seems like your hands are tied from a "good neighbor" standpoint by the actions of your "not so good neighbor".