Compared to 15 years ago.....

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Compared to 15 years ago, do we have more or less deer hunters in North Carolina today? I haven't paid attention to any stats and numbers regarding license sales in some time.

ChasinTrophies

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that with the population growing by 25% over the last 15 years that there would be more.

willb

Eight Pointer
less land to hunt. 15 years ago your neighbor didnt mind you going out back to hunt. Now the new neighbor from the north has moved in and doesnt want anybody on his property or he has his 100 acre parcel leased out to 15 of his coworkers.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
less land to hunt. 15 years ago your neighbor didnt mind you going out back to hunt. Now the new neighbor from the north has moved in and doesnt want anybody on his property or he has his 100 acre parcel leased out to 15 of his coworkers.

yeah cause every NC born landowner let's anyone hunt for free,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BS,,,,,,,,,,,I do get a kick out of how it's always "northerns" who have caused NC's various issues,,,,,,,

I have many examples of landowners who are multiple generational North Carolinians who don't let anyone hunt there land,,,,and have been like that for 30+ years that I have known them,,,,,,,,,

on a serious note,,,,lack of land access has more to do with slobs (leaving trash, game carcasses, and generally pissing off land owners) and the fact that more people have more disposable income to spend on things such as leasing land,,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that with the population growing by 25% over the last 15 years that there would be more.

concur

Compared to 15 years ago, do we have more or less deer hunters in North Carolina today? I haven't paid attention to any stats and numbers regarding license sales in some time.

the real question to me is that number as a % of the NC population,,,,,,

NC population in 2001 was 8.2M,,,,,,,in 2015 NC became the 9th state to have more than 10M people,,,,,so a license increase of 28% isn't a surprise

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Not only has the numbers of hunters increased, as well as the regular population, but the amount of available acres has significantly decreased. I can only use Cabarrus Co as a reference. It is crazy how this county has changed. Every patch of woods seems to have been bulldozed and replaced with some sort of housing. I'm not sure why so many people are moving here, but it is insane.
There is little doubt that there are more hunters now than there was 15 years ago, but with that increase, access to areas for hunting for that increase has decreased.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
yeah cause every NC born landowner let's anyone hunt for free,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BS,,,,,,,,,,,I do get a kick out of how it's always "northerns" who have caused NC's various issues,,,,,,,

I have many examples of landowners who are multiple generational North Carolinians who don't let anyone hunt there land,,,,and have been like that for 30+ years that I have known them,,,,,,,,,

on a serious note,,,,lack of land access has more to do with slobs (leaving trash, game carcasses, and generally pissing off land owners) and the fact that more people have more disposable income to spend on things such as leasing land,,,,,,,,

Its not the landowner that owns 10,000 acres that doesn't allow any hunting on his land that bothers me as much as it is the landowner that owns 10 acres and thinks it gives him the right to tell me what I can do and how I can do it on mine as long as what I am doing doesn't get on his on his land.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
I wasn't in NC 15 years ago to give an answer between then and now but will guess that it's more hunters, less land available, and less deer also.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
This thread will get interesting...

More hunters competing over less resources....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Its not the landowner that owns 10,000 acres that doesn't allow any hunting on his land that bothers me as much as it is the landowner that owns 10 acres and thinks it gives him the right to tell me what I can do and how I can do it on mine as long as what I am doing doesn't get on his on his land.

Concur,,, that type of landowner is a pain anywhere you run into them, East West North or South!

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldn't even consider worrying about that.

Also, I've been seeing less deer over time from 15 years ago for sure where I hunt.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
this may sound counterintuitive but imo there is more land access.

anyone with land gets bombarded with requests to deer hunt. many allow friends or family the oppportunity.

so couple that with folks leasing privileges ,there seems to me to be more folks on the land, thus more access.

i can assure you i get a whole lot more "help" than i had 15 years ago. :)