12/31 Live

w4sar

Six Pointer
So far, have a woodpecker working the tree above me, raining down bits of bark on me. Lots of squirrels. Will come back after Monday with my 10/22 to claim a few of them.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Decided to step out with the slug gun for a few minutes and take a look at some trail work my BIL is doing on the far end of the property. It's a pretty morning and you never know......

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Good luck all. I stayed in this morning due to some nasty sciatica pain n my left leg, but heading out with my 8yo daughter this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
That's some beautiful country up there. How close to the New River are you?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1000yds at the closest corner of our property

My dad saw 8 does and I saw 3 this morning. I tried to get setup on 1 and got busted though and he let his walk. Go figure

ncbuckhunter

Four Pointer
The two deer I got this morning.

baf0df9b2808f5b3d8594bf94debc2fa.jpg

SnaveHD

Sitting in JoCo, not a darn thing this morning, we'll see how the rest of the afternoon goes. Good luck all!

Rock_61

Four Pointer
Lee Cty...Back in ground blind over looking food plot. Hoping weather to get deer moving earlier. Counted 7 last nite on my drive out of property on neighbors corn. Been my slowest year in several yrs for deer down and I hunted a lot more. Good Luck Everyone!

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
Back up in wake county. Nothing this morning. Maybe this time. I'll make you famous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
In Forsyth. Hoping for any deer to walk out, as this is probably my last hunt of the year.....if I don't see one, it marks the first season in 20 years that I didn't kill a deer.
70515fee6b784ff01bd67b986913eb51.jpg
4829954df6864cc723d4f5d3a42bc565.jpg

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I managed to stay out most of the day; worked on cutting a new trail and kept the shotgun handy. Dogs came by a couple of times but didn't see the deer they were running. Did manage to cut about a 100 yards of new trail, though.

TacticalTed.com

Four Pointer
Connected with a nice doe about 8:30 this morning. It ran about 150 yards. Hit a little high, over the shoulder slightly under the spine. Used the .223 loaded with a 68 gr. Sierra Game King. Clipped the front lobes of both lungs. Broke a rib on each side. I was never able to see the entrance wound until I skinned it. The exit was about the size of a dime. I never saw any blood until about 15 feet from where she dropped. It was pure luck that I spotted her in the woods. Rather than drag her back, decided to float her gown the creek. Of course I got my boots full of COLD creek water! Oh well, that's what memories are made of.

Last edited:

Zombie1978

In Forsyth. Hoping for any deer to walk out, as this is probably my last hunt of the year.....if I don't see one, it marks the first season in 20 years that I didn't kill a deer.

Is that a Gunsling stand your in? I have just bought me one and love it. Most comfortable stand I've ever sit in.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

jparsons14

Four Pointer

Same for me Zombie, missed a buck on November 7th haven't seen a deer since. Hunted at least 40 sits

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, it's an old gun slinger. Its hard not to fall asleep in it, lol

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Went bear hunting but no deer seen on South Mountains Game Lands.

Low deer pop seems to be getting lower every year.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Did not get back out this afternoon. Took a nap and when I got it was cold in the house, winds blowing outside, heck, crank up the heat and kick back. I did cut up the deer I shot yesterday and put it in a cooler on ice. Things will simmer down next week and have time to make some sausage.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dropped 1 doe, 4 came out around 5pm on 12/30, took a quartering to shot & missed. They all 4 came back 2n right before dark. 3 made it out. Feels good, been a crazy year for me. This is the 3rd time I've seen deer in the stand in probably 20 hunts of the season.Will be back out Monday & then habitat work starts next weekend.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Ended up seeing 7 deer tonight..most I've seen at once in quite awhile.

I saw 10 yesterday morning which was a season high. It's been particularly slow on this piece of property (until mid december), but the summer cams, bow season sightings, last years sightings,etc had me not worried a bit.

Last edited: