Shooting Hens

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I personally don't care what any study says..common sense says if i let a hen go she has a chance to survive. If i shoot her she's dead. Simple as that. I'm not saying it's going to boost duck populations dramatically but it sure won't hurt them! I guarantee if every hunter out there started pounding hens itd be a different outcome

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
It's a personal decision and yours to live with, just like cheating the legal time by 10 minutes. You're the only one you need to answer to and if in your mind it's okay, go with it. There are hunter ethics and then there are personal ethics, you choose.....

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Exactly, we can all still be friends. Just because I choose not to shoot hens and some do we're still all hunters and need to work together. There's a lot of ppl out there that would love to do away with what we all love to do

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I only shoot drake Canada geese.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What good is that, they mate for life and unlike humans the hens are not slu7s.
So if you shoot her mate [which is called a gander, not a drake], she is no longer in the gene pool.

Last edited:

bte0816

Eight Pointer
It's a personal decision and yours to live with, just like cheating the legal time by 10 minutes...

Except shooting hens is legal and cheating time by 10 min is illegal.

I don't consciously shoot hens but it happens. Especially with wood ducks, when they drop below the tree line its dang hard to tell drakes between hens.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I don't consciously shoot hens but it happens.

Exactly...I guess I need to clear that up with everyone. Every single duck I shoot isn't a drake but I try my best

But back to this study that was posted...if hunters shooting hens doesn't affect the population then why can you kill no more than 2 hen mallards in your daily bag limit!?!?

Last edited:

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
So if you shoot her mate [which is called a gander, not a drake], she is no longer in the gene pool.

Once a mate dies they find another mate to breed with. Think online dating.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns

It was a joke. I'm sure you know they are not sexually dimorphic so picking out hen isn't possible.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I have no issues with others shooting hens I try not to but sometimes it happens and I don't feel guilty when it does. Now when it comes to summer ducks I will shoot a hen on purpose just to have it on my plate I love the taste. I believe if its legal you can do it if you choose. And if you think In your heart your doing something above what the Feds say is right good on you too. I'm not a fan of SWD'S and will not hunt over one but will never say people are wrong who do. It all comes down to personal choice and if your being a good rep of the sport I love and having fun then you are doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skydog

I've always thought that if I lived in Arkansas or California or someplace that actually has ducks that I would try my best to only shoot drakes...but in this part of the world I say go out and scrape out what few ducks you can and be happy if they're brown or green.

I Hunt

Old Mossy Horns
What makes one choice more ethical than another choice? If both, shooting hens and drakes is legal, how is one more ethical than the other. If those that set the limits felt a need to protect hens then they could.

The reason that hen mallards are protected is not to benefit mallards, it is to benefit the populations of black ducks and mottled ducks, both of which(especially mottled) are easy to confuse with hen mallards and both species have lower limits than mallards.

Someone mentioned spinning wing decoys and that is your choice. Heck over time I have seen these become less effective as ducks learn that these spinning wing decoys typically belong to hunters and shy away from these decoys

The drakes versus hens debate is much like the trophy buck debate versus killing a young buck. If it is legal don't condemn those that choose to do so. Hunters tend to be our own worst enemy by condemning one another when we have the general public and the media so ready to condemn us, we do not need to condemn ourselves. Duck hunters seem to be worse than so-called trophy deer hunters, but not by much and I think it depends on the season

Sorry for the rant

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
The reason that hen mallards are protected is not to benefit mallards, it is to benefit the populations of black ducks and mottled ducks, both of which(especially mottled) are easy to confuse with hen mallards and both species have lower limits than mallards.

Where does this info come from? Wondering how that is the case even in States where black ducks and mottled ducks are virtually non existent there's still an imposed limit on hen mallards?

lil_shawn1990

Shoot em all!! Nah lots of good opinions in here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
I try to shoot drakes but sometimes it's hard to tell in the early morning right at shooting time.

Last edited:

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
What makes one choice more ethical than another choice? If both, shooting hens and drakes is legal, how is one more ethical than the other. If those that set the limits felt a need to protect hens then they could.

Someone mentioned spinning wing decoys and that is your choice. Heck over time I have seen these become less effective as ducks learn that these spinning wing decoys typically belong to hunters and shy away from these decoys

The drakes versus hens debate is much like the trophy buck debate versus killing a young buck. If it is legal don't condemn those that choose to do so. Hunters tend to be our own worst enemy by condemning one another when we have the general public and the media so ready to condemn us, we do not need to condemn ourselves. Duck hunters seem to be worse than so-called trophy deer hunters, but not by much and I think it depends on the season

Sorry for the rant

I'm not condemning anyone who shots hens just stated I try not to myself. I did mention SWD'S as I'm not a fan but could careless if others do, they just won't do it with me. As a hunter in the lower part of the flyways I believe that they are not as beneficial as the migratory birds have seen that trick all the way down. I'm an avid user of jerk cords and run 2 at a time. But as I stated to each there on just my 2 cents. Rant on I truly believe that anyone who is being a good steward of the birds and having fun should continue to do as they see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
This is NC other than down East if you get ducks in front of you, you shoot them! To each his own! But I am glad I shot this hen wood duck on Friday Morning, my first band!

20161230_090426_zpszeprdwno.jpg

I Hunt

Old Mossy Horns
Where does this info come from? Wondering how that is the case even in States where black ducks and mottled ducks are virtually non existent there's still an imposed limit on hen mallards?

Read the USFW Service reports and studies and try to understand national policy and not just your own hunting area when it comes to migratory animals

I will also repost the following form early in the thread. Again, once in a while read what real biologists tell us the results are quit condemning your fellow duck hunters or a legal harvest

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Read the USFW Service reports and studies and try to understand national policy and not just your own hunting area when it comes to migratory animals

I understand that but very few blacks/mottled on west coast but still hen mallard limits. Its very interesting, I've never heard that before and was just wanting to see info where the feds say that is the reason for limits on hen mallards and to make sure it just wasn't an opinion. Show me a link to where USFWS States that is the reasoning behind it....and when have I condemned anybody for shooting hens? I've only stated my personal choices

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
There's always another drake to take a drakes place..I'm not condeming shooting hens only advocating shooting drakes. Guess I'm just a terrible guy for doing so, sorry fellas

Attachments

• Snapchat-2807350253077506164.jpg
    Snapchat-2807350253077506164.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-2051114618306370125.jpg
    Snapchat-2051114618306370125.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-5311731064898197443.jpg
    Snapchat-5311731064898197443.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ChasinTrophies

Duck stamp $125. 3 bird limit. No hens. Should clean up some things pretty nice. Keep them boys that can't id birds at bay.

Duck doesn't taste good enough for a $125 stamp. And NC doesn't have enough birds for 3 bird limits already so that's no big deal.