Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual traditions

Default Annual traditions

Every year starting January 1st I start reading my top 3 turkey books. The Tenth Legion is first,then The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Then Turkey Hunting a One Man Game. By the time I'm done with those the fever is so hot I can't hardly stand it. Anybody else have any annual traditions building up to the greatest season of the year?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old Mossy Horns

my tradition is getting ready via the midwest turkey call catalog. i am too stingy to buy much but i love that catalog.

brad -if you will add Earl Grove's book "Tomfoolery 2000" to your reading you really will be ready. Stories galore and the best how to book ever written on the sport.

trust me- i have them all.

Six Pointer

one thing that i never do is clean out the "game bag" of my turkey vest, not sure why, just kinda like knowing a lil piece of everywhere i have been is still with me, at some point you can't remember all of it, yes there is a 2'' layer of pine needles, leaves, bark, dried grass and a feather or two and its bad to stick to the condensation on my water bottle but i don't mind, good lord willing i'll get to add a little more to it

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    my tradition is getting ready via the midwest turkey call catalog. i am too stingy to buy much but i love that catalog.

brad -if you will add Earl Grove's book "Tomfoolery 2000" to your reading you really will be ready. Stories galore and the best how to book ever written on the sport.

trust me- i have them all.
    I will definitely check that book out. Thanks for the heads up.

I have two more newer books to recommend for the list - "East of the Slash" (Wineman) and "Bad Birds" (Jim Spencer).
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
    I have two more newer books to recommend for the list - "East of the Slash" (Wineman) and "Bad Birds" (Jim Spencer).
    Is East of the slash available? I have Bad Birds and it is a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Colvin View Post
    Is East of the slash available? I have Bad Birds and it is a good read.

It appears to be a bit pricey these days....

http://www.gunnermanbooks.com/?page=...product_id=487

https://www.amazon.com/East-Slash-Jr.../dp/0965529002
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Yeah last time I checked the only ones available were out of my range.

Turkey Hunting With Charlie Elliott is another old-school classic that I have enjoyed.

I can't find the rest of them.......I need to keep a record of the ones I loan out (but never get returned).

Sometimes you run into people who change your life for the better!! Most of the time you don't!!