Annual traditions

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
ccc8328aeeb41f3df6e7eec55d906417.jpg
Every year starting January 1st I start reading my top 3 turkey books. The Tenth Legion is first,then The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Then Turkey Hunting a One Man Game. By the time I'm done with those the fever is so hot I can't hardly stand it. Anybody else have any annual traditions building up to the greatest season of the year?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
my tradition is getting ready via the midwest turkey call catalog. i am too stingy to buy much but i love that catalog.

brad -if you will add Earl Grove's book "Tomfoolery 2000" to your reading you really will be ready. Stories galore and the best how to book ever written on the sport.

trust me- i have them all. :)

gobbler

Eight Pointer
one thing that i never do is clean out the "game bag" of my turkey vest, not sure why, just kinda like knowing a lil piece of everywhere i have been is still with me, at some point you can't remember all of it, yes there is a 2'' layer of pine needles, leaves, bark, dried grass and a feather or two and its bad to stick to the condensation on my water bottle but i don't mind, good lord willing i'll get to add a little more to it

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
my tradition is getting ready via the midwest turkey call catalog. i am too stingy to buy much but i love that catalog.

brad -if you will add Earl Grove's book "Tomfoolery 2000" to your reading you really will be ready. Stories galore and the best how to book ever written on the sport.

trust me- i have them all. :)
I will definitely check that book out. Thanks for the heads up.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I have two more newer books to recommend for the list - "East of the Slash" (Wineman) and "Bad Birds" (Jim Spencer).

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I have two more newer books to recommend for the list - "East of the Slash" (Wineman) and "Bad Birds" (Jim Spencer).
Is East of the slash available? I have Bad Birds and it is a good read.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Yeah last time I checked the only ones available were out of my range.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can't find the rest of them.......I need to keep a record of the ones I loan out (but never get returned). :mad:

Turkey_Books.JPG

robertc

Eight Pointer
The Art and Science of turkey hunting by Lovett Williams. That's the one that got me started. Not as much about hunting as it is about the biology and habits of the wild turkey. Williams has several other books out also that I own and read.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the best source i know for the books (besides amazon) is jim casada's website..

http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com/newsletters/Archives.htm

he has the classics, some hard to find stuff, and the popular, and many are very reasonable.

the best buys i have ever made in terms of value are Tim Herald's book, Doug Camp's and a first edition of The Season by Kelly.

all three were cheap but now Mr. Casada says they are worth much more. Of course i wont ever sell mine but it is nice to have something of value.

Bperry

Six Pointer
I don't read much preparing for the season but wturkey01
that's impressive.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't read much preparing for the season but wturkey01
that's impressive.

Thanks! I'm not a serious book collector like some but after turkey hunting for 40 years I guess a fellow is bound to pick up a few!! :p

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Thanks! I'm not a serious book collector like some but after turkey hunting for 40 years I guess a fellow is bound to pick up a few!! :p
You have a great collection. One other I would recommend is Kenny Morgan's book America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs. It's a great read.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Your top 3 are identical to my top 3, however, The Season is right there with Tenth Legion. They sure don't make them like Kenny and Gene anymore, and both were way ahead of their time. Just a FYI (can't remember which book it was in) but Kenny became anti decoy after he killed one fanning, and this was WAY, WAY before fanning got popular.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Your top 3 are identical to my top 3, however, The Season is right there with Tenth Legion. They sure don't make them like Kenny and Gene anymore, and both were way ahead of their time. Just a FYI (can't remember which book it was in) but Kenny became anti decoy after he killed one fanning, and this was WAY, WAY before fanning got popular.
Yes he explained his feelings in his last book. He wrote it on his death bed basically and didn't not hold back his feelings on where this great sport is headed.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
This turkey hunting sounds worse than duck or deer, I'm gonna have to start dabbling in it soon...

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
This thread got me looking, scored a new "East of the Slash" on eBay. Excited to read it and add to my collection.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ccc8328aeeb41f3df6e7eec55d906417.jpg
Every year starting January 1st I start reading my top 3 turkey books. The Tenth Legion is first,then The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, Then Turkey Hunting a One Man Game. By the time I'm done with those the fever is so hot I can't hardly stand it. Anybody else have any annual traditions building up to the greatest season of the year?

Lmao-- I just happened to notice the 2 big toes in the bottom of Brad' s pic............Amazon also sells toenail clippers......or maybe a side grinder!! Just Kiddin... couldn't resist!

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Lmao-- I just happened to notice the 2 big toes in the bottom of Brad' s pic............Amazon also sells toenail clippers......or maybe a side grinder!! Just Kiddin... couldn't resist!
Lol,those come in handy for when I need to climb a tree glassing for gobblers.