Headed to Hyde tomorrow

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Heading down for our yearly trip in the morning. We had a great trip last year in late Janruary hunting the sound. Weather looks warm and wet but I'm still bouncing off the walls like a 5 year old at Christmas to get down there. Anyone been down this year? Many birds around ?

ceanderson

Six Pointer
Heading down for our yearly trip in the morning. We had a great trip last year in late Janruary hunting the sound. Weather looks warm and wet but I'm still bouncing off the walls like a 5 year old at Christmas to get down there. Anyone been down this year? Many birds around ?
I haven't been to Hyde County, but I did hunt Dare and Currituck all last week. We did very well. There are a lot of divers in areas. We also killed a few Green Wing Teal and Mallards, but mainly hunted open water for divers. Good luck and be safe.

ztheath

Hunted Saturday in Fairfield impoundment and killed 1 woodie for a group of 4. Not a lot of shooting going on around us too. Hope things are better for you and your group

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Divers must be in Dare and Currituck, not many in Hyde, ducks seem on a very different pattern this year. what general area of Hyde do you target?

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Hunted Thursday in Fairfield, thought that the front coming through would make for a better hunt. Ended up with 3, a gadwall, widgeon and a hooded merganser. Hunted an impoundment.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Hunting in the sound out of Englehard with Adam Jones.

You could not have made a better choice. he is the one guy who can put you on birds. hunted with him last week on a bluebird south wind day and had a great time. as you probably know Adam is a real class act.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Bad year in Hyde. Hunt around the lake 2-3 days per week. Worst year we have had in a while. Ducks are feeding at night and flying back to lake before legal. No need to feed during the day when it is 60-70 degrees and sunny. Some impoundments are doing really well on North lake, of course it was discovered some of those are doing well with the aid of baiting.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
You could not have made a better choice. he is the one guy who can put you on birds. hunted with him last week on a bluebird south wind day and had a great time. as you probably know Adam is a real class act.

I'll second that. Hunted with him years ago and we shot limits everyday. Gotta buddy that's good friends with him. You gonna kill ducks when you go with him. I remember the first day we went out with him we were hammering the ruddy's and buffleheads out of his layout. He pulled up and said said y'all can shoot what makes you happy but y'all gonna limit out before the good birds fly. Haha. We listened to him and ended up with scoters, canvasbacks and bluebills for the limit. If/when I go back for divers, he is the only guide I'd hunt with.

cootmayne

Button Buck
Divers must be in Dare and Currituck, not many in Hyde, ducks seem on a very different pattern this year. what general area of Hyde do you target?

I can definitely agree with that. I was down at the coast last week and we scouted southern core banks, neuse river, and some areas of the pamlico river looking for divers. Saw a decent number of buffleheads but very few bluebills and redheads. What bills and redheads we saw were very localized and not widespread. From what I have heard through the grapevine there have definitely been a lot more divers up in the northern counties than down there. Thinking and hoping they should make it down into hyde and areas south of there soon though.

Last edited: