Got in a little Duck hunting this past week!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Was down at the club this past week a few days and duck hunted every morning. We have 6 swamps and this year has been a challenge, since the hurricane came through and busted a bunch of the dams water has been hard to find.

One that was holding water is where we headed the first morning, walked in and found mud! No time to go anywhere else so we just set up in some trees hoping to shoot some fly bys, managed 2 woodies and 1 goose.

20161228_070919_zps1gkimsid.jpg

20161228_083049_zps1wnhxsqo.jpg

Next day went to a spot that was supposed to have a lot of birds, got in there and saw a bunch but they just did not want in the hole, figured out someone from the other property had been in there on our land. Gonna have to post the blind I guess. We managed 4 that day. (no pics was pouring rain)

Next day we were in the right spot on another swamp, we had about 15-20 birds hit the water all around us 5 min before shooting light, of course when 4 of them almost landed on the dog she could not handle it and spooked them all up. We had some more come in and end up with 5. I got lucky and shot my first banded bird. Hen Woodie, little over a year old banded in NY.
20161230_090426_zpszeprdwno.jpg

Of course our reason for doing all this is to eat them, so I cooked them all up friday night and feed the guys. They turned out great!

20161230_183737_zpskjxo4hda.jpg

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That swamp without the water is a depressing sight.....It had to be a perfect spot before the storm!!

Last edited:

bpitcher

Button Buck
Sucks about the swamp. I think the storm did quite a bit of waterfowl habitat rearranging across the state.

Congrats on the band.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Jeremy is that the swamp across from the club house that we hunted a few years ago? Good thing is if the beavers damn it up again over the summer it should be a duck magnet with all the food on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Jeremy is that the swamp across from the club house that we hunted a few years ago? Good thing is if the beavers damn it up again over the summer it should be a duck magnet with all the food on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillips farm swamp, of course its full again now with all the rain. Maybe they fixed it pretty quick. We will see if it keeps holding the water.

skydog

Anytime you can shoot a couple ducks and a goose out of a mud flat you're doing something right! :D Looks like a fun weekend

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Anytime you can shoot a couple ducks and a goose out of a mud flat you're doing something right! :D Looks like a fun weekend

It was luck, if there had been water we would have had a great shoot, had 20 or so mallards looking hard in there for water!