Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still On The Specs

Twelve Pointer

Default Still On The Specs

Still catching nice specs in the creeks!

15672651_1061175167328265_8334207396350638773_n.jpg

Sweet. What are you catching them on?

Twelve Pointer

17MR-808 Mirrolure...very slow retrieve in 26 feet of water
    Last edited by Songdoghunter; 01-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Will the 17 keep sinking if you let it or does it suspend afer a certain depth?

Twelve Pointer

It is a suspending bait but will make it to the bottom in 25 feet or less. These fish are moving up and down with thermocline. I caught some on the bottom and some nearly on top near the boat. They only feed for about an hour or so after sunrise. Little to nothing in their guts. They are basically just hibernating in these holes to survive the winter.

Nice. The cold water specs are some very good eating.

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Songdoghunter View Post
    It is a suspending bait but will make it to the bottom in 25 feet or less. These fish are moving up and down with thermocline. I caught some on the bottom and some nearly on top near the boat. They only feed for about an hour or so after sunrise. Little to nothing in their guts. They are basically just hibernating in these holes to survive the winter.
    tell us about them "moving up and down with the thermocline."

how does that work in a creek?

Yeah, got me wondering too. We've been catching them in Bay River off the ends of shallow points. I don't know of a creek around here that has a 25' hole...
    Archery is a passion...accuracy is an obsession. Steve Morley
    If ya gotta fight, fight like you're already dead....

Eight Pointer

Good mess of fish!

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    tell us about them "moving up and down with the thermocline."

how does that work in a creek?

Nothing to tell really as it's pretty simple. I was fishing a creek which is a tributary of the New River in Jacksonville. There are several holes in this creek that range from 15-30 feet in depth. The water is tidal with about 3 feet of tide. Therefore, there is constant mixing of ocean water with the fresh water making it brackish. The warmer the surface air temp, the more active and shallow the fish are biting. While the surface water had ice on it several mornings last month, the temp in these holes is in the upper 40's near the bottom. Trout have been caught this year between Richlands and Jacksonville in nearly fresh water. There are holes in the river itself over 40 feet in depth. For those that do not know, the New River starts and ends in Onslow County. It starts in western Onslow as a ditch you can step across, is spring fed and fresh water, and ends at New River Inlet at North Topsail and is nearly 2 miles wide between Camp Lejeune and Sneads Ferry. Incidentally, I was 8 years old when the river was dredged in the late 60's and remember guys dipping trapped stripers in excess of 25lbs with herring dip nets. I've caught black crappie and smaller stripers 200 yards from the old Fisherman's Wharf in Jacksonville. Longrifle, there are several such holes in Brices Creek in your neck of the woods where trout are also caught every year in late fall and early winter.