Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still On The Specs

Old Mossy Horns

i am sure the trout are seeking optimum water temps but i dont think a thermocline is in play or at least what i thought was a thermocline.

to me a thermocline is a layer of water so dense (with large temp differences) it shows on your depth finder and below which there is no oxygen.

that's just splitting hairs though. Good that you have them figured out.

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    i am sure the trout are seeking optimum water temps but i dont think a thermocline is in play or at least what i thought was a thermocline.

to me a thermocline is a layer of water so dense (with large temp differences) it shows on your depth finder and below which there is no oxygen.

that's just splitting hairs though. Good that you have them figured out.
    Perhaps I just ignorantly used the word thermocline. I guess what I should have said was that the fish stay in the warmest water they can find and that is deep when surface temp is sub freezing and more shallow when air temp is warm. You can mark it though on the depth finder. Because there isn't a full tidal exchange, the water never really runs on the bottom like it does in the sound. I guess because of that, the deeper water stays a more constant temperature than the water affected by current and contrasts between the two is shown on depth finder. Jacksonville by water is only about 6 miles from 100% salt water at Courthouse Bay.

It could be a thermocline, but I'd say that it is probably stratification in the water column due to salinity differences between the fresh water and saltwater.

Thanks SDH. Most of my fishing is done in the Vandemere/Oriental area. I know of several good holes that hold trout at times, in Trent Creek for example, but none with that kind of depth. I've yet to spot any holes over 12'-14' in Bay River or Vandemere Creek...
    Archery is a passion...accuracy is an obsession. Steve Morley
    If ya gotta fight, fight like you're already dead....

Old Mossy Horns

is this cold snap going to kill them?

Prob not. Seems like the cold stuns happen after several days of very cold temps mixed in with cold run off from melting freezing precipitation.

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by 23mako View Post
    Prob not. Seems like the cold stuns happen after several days of very cold temps mixed in with cold run off from melting freezing precipitation.
    what he said! That's the reason these fish stay in deep holes. It typically won't get cold enough to kill them there. I asked a fisheries biologist why the trout don't stay in deep holes around the inlets and he explained that it takes too much energy to swim the current and not enough bait in the winter. Also, these fish will spawn in the creeks before going back to the ocean this spring.

Well it sounds like there have been a few isolated kills and cold stuns. Not sure what the DMF might do.

Yeah have seen videos of lots of trout stunned in carteret county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When we (man) experienced our fall from grace, God endowed the dog with all the properties initially intended for us...honesty, loyalty, nobility etc. and made the dog our best friend to be kept by our side so that we could see what strengths of character we could aspire to....but never quite achieve.....

Twelve Pointer

If you see a bunch of stunned fish call DMF. They can send out people to help minimize the losses. A falling tide and stunned fish equal trouble.