Voodoo the full story

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
After talking to a few more guys i found out some intel.
Last week i pulled most of my cams out of a few areas that were being unproductive, in fact, my plan for today was to hunt another property but i got flooded out this morning and had to move to higher ground. Since I had to move for the afternoon and i only had a long range gun i decided to hunt a box blind on a logging trail with a 368 yard straight away even though it hadn't been producing any pics. Figured if nothing else id at least have a steady rest for popping a yote.
I do put some stock into lunar peaks but they're hardly the only factor to deer movement. But since its the last afternoon i was at least hopeful, saw 3 in the am but no shooters. At 5 i turned my ilum retical on low since it was so overcast and i didn't want to fumble with much if i did get a shot. Right at 5:10 i saw movement at the very end of the road and could tell with my binos that it was a deer and immediately got on the rifle and start looking for it to see if its a shooter or no. As im trying to pick up the deer at the far end the area i last saw it gets blotted out by a huge mass. I look at this mass and realize im staring at an absolute beast of buck, i quickly range him at 279 yards and hold off 2.5 MOA and squeeze off a round. This monstrosity stands there not moving and i swore id missed and that he was deaf, as im chambering another round i see a splash of white and he drops right there, evidently it took a couple seconds for the shock to wear off.
2d9473dc98bf1b4719a92d8431ce2b79.jpg
96757a27302efed736889a96c6e8dd4b.jpg

But heres the rest of the story.... Last week of Nov a buddy that hunts an area about 6 miles over on another property started getting trail cam pics of a beastly 8pt. Like most he kept it to himself which hell who can blame him, but he and his son started hunting the area hard trying to catch him slipping. Evidently they over hunted the area and pushed this deer over to my pines.
Heres a pic on the hoof... I was wrong on his spread its 18-6/8s ..... What you gurus think he'll push.... High 130s, 140ish?
351c193e013814df7aca19515e1f9798.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Great last day buck. That's why we hunt - because you just never know what will step out.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
way to go, congrats! clutch kills have always been my favorite. last day bucks and gobblers are fun.

Don't give up....don't ever give up.

Six Pointer
Nice buck. Huge buck for NC. On the last day makes it nice, helps with getting ready for next season.
I guess 126".
Let us know what he scores.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks all, dropped him off at the Taxidermist this morning and was told that he'd try his best to have it done by the DDC. He'll green score it and look at the jaw for an age but eyeballed him at 4-5 yrs old and thinks he'll gross 138-141. This will be my first shoulder mount and feel really blessed to have had the chance to harvest such a nice buck, nothing at all wrong with the bucks Ive harvested in the past but the size difference between this buck and my next biggest (114' 8pt) is night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk