Yay or nay?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Faux novelty wood grain. This is just the base. I still have to soften it up with steel wool and a coat of light stain. Then I'm going to gloss clear it a few times and see how it looks. It's kinda weird. May try a different technique next time to get a different effect if I don't like this. Or defiantly a different color for the grain, still dark but not ebony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
e4b49ebd5bcf7931752d3184b3a996cd.jpg

e7bb25d7e4842d94e358bfaeb99bc3d2.jpg

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like it! Are you going to use a high gloss or a satin type clear?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to soften it up with a light color stain on top then high gloss clear it a couple coats.

Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
fbb92e5ef84628e964ef7961fd74b1ca.jpg
uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190117/a09e1b0c110a80dbed502342bacb0f0f.jpg[/IMG]
e352b69f7b38a07818c41030f3621d69.jpg

Haven’t had the chance to mess around lately so I decided to be creative. This is on black synthetic. I need some practice.

Last edited:

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
First one I really like. Looks like a fine spalted maple. The second looks like an old school Mossy Oak Bottomland camo.

Windini

Spike
New guy here, just saw this thread. Both look great to me!

I refinished the stock on a Rem 788 years ago; once the original stain was gone, the beech wood was blah. When I got done, the beech is now shiny blah. So the action stays in the B&C plastic stock that was supposed to be temporary.

Posts like this give me the itch to haul out the blah wood and go to town on it again.