Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild turkey population declining in Mississippi

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by oldest school View Post
    please everyone share your strategy for killing those tight lipped, walk away, shy birds.
    They can be tough but can be killed I don' like to fool with em unless one makes me real mad then I'll get serious on him and have found one way is to use a crow call if he will gobble then you work ahead of him knowing the land is key you can about guess where he will end up if you have the right setup like he is going toward creek bottom or a small field. Now if he pops out n large say 20 acre field then your probably done. Have also found with them if you can close the distance with a locater call then set up and just scratch in leaves surprisingly he'll show up silently

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by wturkey01 View Post
    22-250............
    That is good one If in Va you'd be legal though

Old Mossy Horns

on turkey numbers; TN study on poultry disease in wild turkeys, check out their 6 year plan. lotsa stuff going on.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/t..._Sept_2016.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hawglips View Post
    I had another day last year where I got set up on a hard gobbling bird on the roost. And there were two more gobbling off to my left.

Long story short, they all 3 got together and walked off directly away from me, answering my pleading calls once in a while, till they were out of ear shot....
    I always assumed hens dragged them off. Otherwise I have to blame my calling.....

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    I always assumed hens dragged them off. Otherwise I have to blame my calling.....
    Yeah, that's what we are told. And sometimes, I think it is indeed the case. But I think hens often get blamed for things they don't do....
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

Yeah, that's what we are told. And sometimes, I think it is indeed the case. But I think hens often get blamed for things they don't do....

I think you're right with this.......I've heard people say that the hens got jealous when they heard another "hen" calling but I'm not sure they have the reasoning powers to do that!

I think the hens just go where they are going.........if the other "hen" wants to follow, come on along!!
    I'm glad I learned how to do parallelograms instead of taxes!! It comes in really handy during parallelogram season!!

In addition to the 2 instances last year dealing with walk-away birds (the two that I watched walk away from me, and the 3 I never saw but got together and walked away from me) I killed one that was out in a field but wouldn't come. When I first moved on him up close to the field, I didn't know if he had hens or not. I assumed he did though. But after about a half hour of working him with little to no movement my way, I decided to try to get a visual on him. I eased up carefully to where I could see his head and neck, and the top of his fan when he strutted. By the way he quickly opened his fan and then closed it back down, and the way he kept his neck stretched up most of the time, I knew he wasn't out there strutting around with hens. And I figured he was a timid bird and by himself. So, I called a couple times and watched his reaction. He didn't move but stuck his head up to see where I was.

I then decided to quit calling and carefully move closer where I could watch his movements.

After I had quit calling for about 5 minutes, he started easing towards a gobbler who was still gobbling back in the woods, in the direction I had just eased up from. Within about 20 minutes he had picked up his pace and was hurrying right by me, towards the gobbling bird. So, I killed him.

I could pat myself on the back and claim that he was going back to where he had last heard me calling, and that my shut-up tactic broke him. But the more I thought about what happened, and then when I witnessed those same birds get together and walk away from me later in the season, I just don't believe he was going to where I had just been calling from. I believe he was avoiding me and was much more interested in getting up with his buddy that he heard gobbling.

Turkeys fascinate me.
    Last edited by hawglips; 01-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    "If you are serious about turkey hunting, then turkey hunt; if you want to relax, go fishing or sit in a deer stand." ~ L. Williams

,,,,,,,,,,,,Turkeys fascinate me.

me too,,,,,,,,,,my favorite hunts,,,,,,wouldn't trade them for any other type of hunting,,,,,,
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by wturkey01 View Post
    I think you're right with this.......I've heard people say that the hens got jealous when they heard another "hen" calling but I'm not sure they have the reasoning powers to do that!

I think the hens just go where they are going.........if the other "hen" wants to follow, come on along!!
    I don't think its jealously either I think its just the nature of them I usually have no problem knowing when a hen drags the Tom away I hear them in tree and either 2 things happen either I will mimic her sounds and she will drag him in or she want nothing to do with another hen and they go straight away It is lot fun to challenge a hen and it work they come in all fired up and ready for fight. As far as the walk away gobbler they are tough I've had several sit in tree gobble their heads off when they hear call and not budge till the hen comes to him its all in the fun

Old Mossy Horns

since i have seen henless gobblers walk away from live hens yelping i don't beat myself up too bad if they fail to come to me.

walkaways are a part of the game.

Fortunately their polar opposites, the "walk ups", will level some of that stuff out.

Nice on you Hal for admitting they just walk up. Most hunters really think they caused it with some great calling strategy.