Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle restrictions proposed for Halifax County

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    First thing they really need to do there to fix most all the problems.....
    Ban dog hunting....
    I was waiting for this....should be good

I have popcorn in the mikey-wave.................................

They will prohibit rifles in that county before dogs, you can count on that.

Six Pointer

A bad hunter is a bad hunter If he shots off the state r/w now he will still do it after they pass these laws.Banning deer dog hunting does nothing to help this that's proven every year in states that do not allow dog hunting in most of these states the number 1 problem is road hunting if it wasn't they wouldn't run so many operations to catch them.
    Last edited by RJ1; 01-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Old Mossy Horns

The proposed changes target bear, coyote, fox and deer hunting with dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by bertienchunter View Post
    I would vote for a no centerfire rifle law in Bertie quick. Matter of fact do away with the muzzleloaders too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    Why?
    what would that do?

it would get rid of 90% of the still hunters that hunt there I expect,,,,,,,maybe make lease prices drop some?
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

Eight Pointer

I deal with the knuckle heads every year that think because they live in Halifax county they can go any where and turn out dogs and retrieve their dogs anywhere also......We pay top dollar for our leases and they do not pay a membership.

When I left Halifax at the end of the season they were running a piece of property that I know they do not have permission to run........Hell yea.....Ban it if they are going to continue this. They run anybody and everybody's property at the end of the season or mid week while folks are not around.
    The eight foot rule is not going to accomplish much, but the permission slips and verification of such permission and the unloaded and locked away guns would help. We had a deer shot on our property a couple of years back.....we(9 members) were standing about 500 yards from the shooter and he killed the deer in line with where we were standing.... Sgt Hatcher was right around the corner when I called him and he took care of it.

There are SEVEN bad SPOTS in Halifax County...............and no, not all the dog guys are trying to do this, but I have had enough and if it takes a ban.....so be it.

Interestingly, the article states that Halifax county Sheriff Tripp said he was approached by a group of property-owning dog hunters requesting these regulations.

Glad to see some are willing to be part of the solution. Take steps now to fix the problem(s) and have some say in the process.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Old Mossy Horns

ScottyB, I have more trouble with people still hunting my leases. They just hunt it a few feet from their side. Should we ban that too! Banning hunting of any form is not the answer.

The one part of a this proposal that will help, making it illegal to have a loaded long gun while stopped on the r/w. We already have statewide laws on written permission, it is called the Landowner Protection Act. We have had a written permission law here for some were around 30 years, if used it does help. Written permission can be verified an LEO very easily with GIS.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted". Finn Aagard

Old Mossy Horns

Should we ban that too! Banning hunting of any form is not the answer.
    Agreed but this sounds like responsible houndsmen trying to head off a ban.
    Last edited by CRC; 01-08-2017 at 09:03 PM.