Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How was your season?

Hasn't been quite the year I wanted, but did manage to get my wife in a stand for the first time since I've known her. Bought her a savage .223 for Christmas and been out several times to a neighbors stand. Seen lots of does and some button bucks. We did have one 4 point walk passed us before we were set up and never saw him again. I got a 7 point early in season in freezer and mount to the shop. She still hasn't managed to take a shot at anything but getting her out is a step in the right direction.
    2016-12-17 07.59.37.jpg
    "This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world "No, you move."

Captain Steve Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
    not good season here lots of deer on camera at NIGHT none all season in day time have no clue how to bring the deer out during day time any ideas . thank you
    Dogs or man drives if you know where they're laying low and have permission to be there.
    Dying isn't so bad. The real tragedy is that most people never really live.
    Proverbs 26:4
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Pretty good season overall. My bow season was extremely slow only seeing 2 deer in over 10 sits. When the weather cooled down I started to see many more deer. Saw lots of does and some small bucks but no shooter bucks and very few "next year" bucks. I killed 3 does and one mistake 6 pointer I should not have shot. I was able to get lots of meat for the freezer but hoping to thin a few more does at the beginning of bow season next year. Overall I consider this season a success for many reasons. I was safe, I was able to go a lot, took some deer, and had fun.
    "Do or do not, there is no try. " - Yoda

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by stiab View Post
    In 2014 (EHD year) I had 29 sightings, on the same land in Vance Co. and over the same period of the eastern rifle season. So things have improved since then, but not back to the 2013 level of 76 sightings.
    thanks for the info.

This was by far my best season to date. I joined a new lease near my home where I was able to have encounters with 3 different mature bucks during archery season. Only got a shot at one of those bucks and I missed but still count those hunts as a success. Fast forward to November where I killed the largest deer of my hunting career (151" gross) and several does for the freezer. And to cap it off I was able to guide my wife the rest of the season and watch her harvest her first deer in December. Gonna be hard to top this season but I look forward to trying!

Worst ever been hunting since 1978 and saw 1 buck and 5 does the whole season. At this rate in 5 years there will be no more deer hunting as they will be on the endangered list.

Bar3006
    "only on days that end in Y !"

Spike

Hunted 8 different days (2 mornings and 6 evenings) and harvested a nice 8 and the biggest buck of my hunting career. I would consider it a success.

Six Pointer

Great season, actually best ever for seeing bucks. I killed 4 nice mature bucks and one doe. Saw the least number of does this season than ever before. Maybe I have unwittingly figured out where bucks hang out. Who knows? It will probably be different next year anyway.

Four Pointer

I took a mature 8 out in Uwharrie during gun season. Managed only a handful of hunts this season but saw deer when I expected to. Hunted twice late in the season when the weather didn't cooperate but that's how it goes. Still some time left for me in Alabama but not sure if the weather will play nice or not.