Good Time For Scouting This Weekend

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After this winter storm passes and leaves us with some snow on the ground, it'll be easy to track and see where deer are moving and to take an "inventory." Anyone else doing this?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I just may... Was hoping to get snow during the season but thats a rarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a lock on that i need to take down, so i may venture out a bit and scout some before i take it down.

I meant to take it down this past Saturday after my last morning hunt, but i forgot to take my keys to the lock.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I'll probably be out with .22 scouting deer and looking for squirrel if it snows

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be out, but I hope to be shooting, not scouting;) Sat is the last day in VA.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
After this winter storm passes and leaves us with some snow on the ground, it'll be easy to track and see where deer are moving and to take an "inventory." Anyone else doing this?

I have plans to do this but not on Monday morning. Single digit temperatures are just too cold for me.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Ill be out going after some coyotes. Plan to walk bunch after a few sets to see whats moving. Love hunting in the snow, wish it happened a little more often in NC.... i miss NY :(

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Was gonna work up that last doe on Saturday morning...

Buuuuuuuuttttttt, I may range out over to the Yadkin river and see if me and the pup can stumble onto a lost woodcock for a couple hours after daylight.
We only supposed to get a skiff in Western Triad

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I have got to take my camera down any way. I was thinking I will take the .410, .22 Henry and the boy and see if we can get any squirrels and scout a bit. We lived in Illinois a few years ago and are used to hunting In cold and snow. Sure do miss those big fat fox squirrels. I never found a place to deer hunt in Illinois but got a small buck in Wisconsin while I was out there.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Going to be out trying to figure out what changed the deer pattern on one tract I hunt. Deer are still there but their pattern definitely changed this year after hunting there 7 years. I think the neighbors fencing some thinned pine into pasture and a new 30 acre clear cut close by had an affect. Deer still there mostly night time movement though. The deer used trails usually used in the mornings in the evening (right at dark or after) and very little morning movement and this was my morning hot spot since I started hunting this place.

Oh! I will have a gun with me for the legal critters too, just in case. Especially for the yotes!

Last edited: