Spin Feeder

SM270

Ten Pointer
Has anyone had any luck using a spin feeder. I am considering a few thing about using one. I am trying to figure out how to hoist one in a tree(anyone have tips). My thinking is that if you use one of these you cut down on scent from not entering the area to put out bags of corn. Also I think you would save money by controlling the feed rate. I am torn between stop hunting with corn at all. But where I hunt I feel like if you don't use it then your chances go way down. EVERYONE has a corn pile where I hunt. Any tips or thoughts?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I use a few spin feeders on active trails to slow down deer in a shooting lane. Other areas putting one up is a determinate as there is such a volume of traffic that any changed puts them on alert. I also have seen areas that they would destroy piles but avoid feeders, so its a hit and miss. Try em and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Quit hunting with corn and see what happens.

Of just start hunting and not jusf beating on a key board.

To the OP
I limited my use of corn this year but was using some cabelas spin feeders.
had good luck with them they were 50$ and would last a full year or more.

Big thing is the critters that kill them.
never let them run out. If you do the tree rats and coons will dig and try to find more in the barrel.
As long as there is enough corn on the ground, they tend to leave them and eat of the ground.
That was why I always fed 30 before sunset for hunting and one more time at dark or dark 30.

If you feed in the summer dont fill a 55 gal.
the corn will go bad. I filed about 1/2 or 1/3.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have used spin feeders with success. I do prefer to just put corn on the ground though.

Now, that said I only feed one location. The deer I killed this year were on two separate tracts where I don't bait. I hunted many a year without bait and have been just as successful as hunting with bait, maybe better.

SM270

Ten Pointer
Maybe I should have been a little more detailed. This is in a full set of 100 acres of pines as well. And I do want to hoist it up in the air I don't want it to be on the tripod legs

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
To suspend i loop a rope over a solid branch and just tie off on the tree, granted I dont have bears to contend with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing wrong with using a spin feeder, I've used several myself over the years. But I've come to the conclusion that simply spreading the corn over a large area and not "piling it up" works best for me.

Over the past few years I've reduced the number of bait areas I'm using, and my success rate still seems to be about the same. Out of the last 8 deer or so I've taken, only one has been over a bait site.

Everyone has a corn pile where you hunt? Then try giving the deer something different. Sweet potatoes, apples, peanuts, or try planting a small food plot. Give the deer some "variety," something to entice them besides corn.

And if all the surrounding hunters are baiting, the deer still have to travel from "point A," to "point B," to get there. Find those travel routes the deer are using through your land and set up your ambush there.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Use a boat winch mouthed to a tree to get the feeder up and down.

To add on to Eggman's response. My buddy has a spin feeder set up behind his house. He strung a rope between two trees. On a third tree between those two trees, he attached a winch on the trunk about 5' above the ground. At the midpoint of the rope between the two trees high above the ground, he attached a pulley. Run a second rope from the spin feeder through the pulley to the winch. Now you can easy raise and lower the feeder to add more corn. Most animals other than squirrels can't reach it.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
To add on to Eggman's response. My buddy has a spin feeder set up behind his house. He strung a rope between two trees. On a third tree between those two trees, he attached a winch on the trunk about 5' above the ground. At the midpoint of the rope between the two trees high above the ground, he attached a pulley. Run a second rope from the spin feeder through the pulley to the winch. Now you can easy raise and lower the feeder to add more corn. Most animals other than squirrels can't reach it.

This is pretty much the way I do it, except that I use chain or cable between the trees and cable for the winch. Might be overkill, but it's the only way I've ever done it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is pretty much the way I do it, except that I use chain or cable between the trees and cable for the winch. Might be overkill, but it's the only way I've ever done it.

^^that's the way we only way we found to keep bears out of our feeders.^^ To keep squirrels from walking the wire just thread on a 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch pvc before and after the feeder, anywhere in line will work....the squirrels get a rude awakening when they try to cross it.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I haven't seen a problem with a tripod. Got plenty of pictures of deer standing under the feeder or even trying to nudge it if there isn't corn on the ground. Of course, mine are in an area that I can pull the UTV right up to it and dump the corn in the barrel while standing in the bed. It seems to be easier for old farts. I only have to fill it a couple of times during our 6 week season.

I haven't seen a problem with a tripod. Got plenty of pictures of deer standing under the feeder or even trying to nudge it if there isn't corn on the ground. Of course, mine are in an area that I can pull the UTV right up to it and dump the corn in the barrel while standing in the bed. It seems to be easier for old farts. I only have to fill it a couple of times during our 6 week season.

No more problems with the bears knocking them over ?

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
Like others have mentioned I have mine on a chain between two trees , I raise and lower it using a boat winch. It's a 30 gallon barrel feeder and so far works great .

SM270

Ten Pointer
Of the guys that have theirs up in a tree are you getting pictures of big deer using it or just does

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
I had one big eight and another eight he was fighting with plus a couple of sixes and some small spikes . I hope to have a decent season this fall !! I was seeing a couple of bears but they stopped showing up right around the first of Oct.