Trapping question

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
With this front and snow coming in i want to put some traps out for coyotes. My question is what does everyone use to keep their traps from freezing. I have peatmoss and have heard i can use salt, as well as calicum and antifreeze. What is the best.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Bed them in that dry peat moss and they shouldn't freeze up. I used salt in KY and it worked okay. It's a little late in the game to go with waxed dirt.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dry dirt will not freeze either but it is nearly impossible to keep it dry here will all of the precipitation and freeze thaw cycles.

BuckMark

Spike
Ld, If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering what method you use for making waxed dirt. Was thinking of mixing some up for later in the season. I've seen it used, but never done it myself.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Peat moss for sure, easy and fast. I have had the peat moss to freeze, but the trap still fires 100% of the time. Good luck and tight chains.

odie408

Ten Pointer
If there are any cedar trees in the right location for your sets, the ground under them is dryer and more protected from the snow and rain. With a wing hanging this makes for a good cat set.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Ld, If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering what method you use for making waxed dirt. Was thinking of mixing some up for later in the season. I've seen it used, but never done it myself.

I've never made it, personally. Most people will mix the wax up with the dirt and leave it out in the sun to melt, mixing it occasionally. I'm sure there's other ways to do it, though. I've heard of folks doing it in the oven, too.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cement mixer and a torch is how the big longliners make it. These are folks making several 55 gallon barrels. They have it down to a science. Lots of threads about making wax dirt on trapperman forum.