Squirrel

NickP

Ten Pointer
With good :donk:donk:donk:donk placement it's not a problem at all get a good pellet rifle and throw the scope out and spend your money on a good scope and you'll be good I take pesky squirrels in the yard with 1 shot 1 kill up to about 30 35 yard

DJinNC

Banned
Thanks!! Leaning towards a pellet gun for small game over .22 rim fire because of ammo
Access, backyard shooting opportunities and stealth hunting...

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.177 will work plenty well with accurate shot placement. Plenty of videos on youtube using pellet rifles on tree rats. I'd get one of the over 1000 fps rifles though. Some come with dual barrels for either .177 or .22 pellets.

Easy E

Spike
Get a .22 airgun, I've shot squirrels for years with my airgun and I don't think the .177 is the best choice. Mine is a bit over the top as far as price but I know it's limitations. uploadfromtaptalk1483981590524.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a spring type .177 rated at 1200 fps, sold it because it was near as loud as a .22 long rifle. My old Benjamin multi-pump .22 at 750 fps, hits them harder.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a benjamin marauder in .25 caliber. It is pretty accurate and will do a good job on small game. The bad thing about any air rifle that is capable of dependability and enough power for actual hunting, not yard plinking is they are usually much heavier than a rimfire. Mine outfitted with a scope weighs as much or more than most deer rifles.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
I have a Benjamin Titan xs .177 air rifle, i believe it is either 1250/1350 fps. I have no problem taking out small game with it. It is break-action, single shot, just as heavy as my deer rifle, and I think it fires just as loud as my pump .22 so I worry about even using it in my backyard. After having it for about a year, kind of wish I had just upgraded to a better .22 for my small game hunting needs.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
If you go with the .177, its going to be about the same noise level as 22LR because of the supersonic velocity. I have a .22 air rifle and it is more quiet and harder hitting.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I'll go along with the RWS, especially the .22 cal. When I first began hunting groundhogs with a bow and arrow I also enjoyed stalking to within reasonable distance and shooting them with the RWS. Not sure how many I killed but more than a few.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I have an old RWS45 in .177. Have had it for many years and it's killed a metric ton of squirrels. That said, I'd rather have a .22 or .25 air rifle. The super high speeds of today's air rifles are not necessarily conducive to accuracy....even pointed pellets are not the most aerodynamic of projectiles. A .22 air rifle shooting in the 800fps range hits much, much harder and I think is generally more accurate. I like Beeman and RWS for the break open types....the made in Germany versions.