Squirrel Dogging on Sunday??

ncbuckfever

Six Pointer
I have read the regs, just want to make sure that someone doesn't know something that I don't. Can you squirrel hunt with a dog on Sunday?

All I have read that restricts use of dogs only applies to deer hunting.

Just paranoid that I have misssed something.

Thanks!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You sure about that?

Yes I am.

Dogs are a legal method of taking game on Sundays and any day for any species dogs are a legal method of take.

Dogs are a legal method of taking and killing deer in certain counties, even on Sundays.

Of course fox hunting on Sundays may not be legal. I dunno. You got me there.

And of course game lands are closed to SH except falconry.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes I am.

Dogs are a legal method of taking game on Sundays and any day for any species dogs are a legal method of take.

Dogs are a legal method of taking and killing deer in certain counties, even on Sundays.

Of course fox hunting on Sundays may not be legal. I dunno. You got me there.

And of course game lands are closed to SH except falconry.
As usual you are wrong again. You can read can't you?

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Ok, yes, I forgot about migratory game birds and crows.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It appears you forgot about hunting deer with dogs on Sunday also. Training ONLY.

WRONG.

Dogs are a legal method of killing (taking ) deer.

4 ways to kill a deer:

dogs
legal guns
falconry
legal archery tackle

All county dependent.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
§ 113-291.1. Manner of taking wild animals and wild birds.
(a) Except as otherwise provided, game may only be taken between a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset and only by one or a combination of the following methods:
(1) With a rifle, except that rifles may not be used in taking wild turkeys.
(2) With a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge.
(3) With a bow and arrow of a type prescribed in the rules of the Wildlife Resources Commission.
(4) With the use of dogs.
(5) By means of falconry.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
WRONG.

4 ways to kill a deer:

dogs
legal guns
falconry
legal archery tackle

All county dependent.
You have lost your damn mind. It states the provisions for hunting on Sunday in the excerpt that I posted. It also states what is not legal. Also it states on page 56 of the regs that dog hunting is not approved for archery hunting of deer. Try again.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes dogs can be used to hunt any animal open to hunting on Sunday.

WRONG.

4 ways to kill a deer:

dogs
legal guns
falconry
legal archery tackle

All county dependent.

Dude - you were talking Sunday,,,,dogs aren't legal for deer on Sunday

But you knew that

So what are you trying to prove?

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Dogs are legal to use on deer on Sundays.

You just can't have a gun/firearm with you.

Its not complicated and irrelevant to the op.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

This is a lie the definition to take in NCWRC terms is to harvest, or kill. You have now changed it to that people can do what they want as long as they don't use a firearm. Your double talking is going to get you in trouble, I hope I see that happen. You really need to quit trying to mislead people little boy.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Dogs are legal to use on deer on Sundays.

You just can't have a gun/firearm with you.

Its not complicated and irrelevant to the op.

Hahahaha,,,,you funny GI

Also agree that the below (and efforts to correct your I accuracy) were off topic

Yes dogs can be used to hunt any animal open to hunting on Sunday.

And by the way , you are wrong ref dogs deer and Sunday. - look up definition of hunting versus training

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
This is a lie the definition to take in NCWRC terms is to harvest, or kill. You have now changed it to that people can do what they want as long as they don't use a firearm. Your double talking is going to get you in trouble, I hope I see that happen. You really need to quit trying to mislead people little boy.

Dogs can be used to kill or harvest.

You should know that.

“To take is defined as all operations during, immediately preparatory and immediately subsequent to an attempt, whether successful or not, to capture, kill, pursue, hunt or otherwise harm or reduce to possession any fisheries resource or wildlife resource.”

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have read the regs, just want to make sure that someone doesn't know something that I don't. Can you squirrel hunt with a dog on Sunday?

All I have read that restricts use of dogs only applies to deer hunting.

Just paranoid that I have misssed something.

Thanks!!

squirrel hunt away,,,,just mind the firearms restrictions as they apply,,,,,,,have fun,,,,,,,don't mind the side discussions,,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dogs can be used to kill or harvest.

You should know that.

“To take is defined as all operations during, immediately preparatory and immediately subsequent to an attempt, whether successful or not, to capture, kill, pursue, hunt or otherwise harm or reduce to possession any fisheries resource or wildlife resource.”
That is correct, and when you add firearms with that dog in pursuit of deer on Sunday you have committed an illegal act. Which you originally said was legal. You talked out of the other side of your mouth later and backtracked but nonetheless you spewed incorrect info.

Keep digging all you want, but you are just making yourself out to look a bigger fool if that is possible.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That is correct, and when you add firearms with that dog in pursuit of deer on Sunday you have committed an illegal act. Which you originally said was legal. You talked out of the other side of your mouth later and backtracked but nonetheless you spewed incorrect info.

Keep digging all you want, but you are just making yourself out to look a bigger fool if that is possible.

Never claimed firearms AND dogs were legal together for deer on Sundays.

Just that hunting deer with dogs is legal on Sunday.

Its legal. Get over it.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never claimed firearms AND dogs were legal together for deer on Sundays.

Just that hunting deer with dogs is legal on Sunday.

Its legal. Get over it.
Using that pretense it is legal in all 100 counties to TRAIN dogs on Sunday on private land. Not just certain counties. So in essence you were still incorrect if you want to cut hairs, get over that.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You could already do that.

But allowing the dog to catch and kill the animal would have been illegal.

During hunting season (unless otherwise prohibited by law or rule) dogs may be used to catch and kill legal game animals.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Of course that doesn't apply in the part of the state closed to chasing or hunting deer with dogs (or any other county where chasing deer or fox or whatever with dogs is illegal) but no law prohibits training your quail or duck dog on Sundays. If there is I can't find it.

I guess I could have been more clear.

It is unlawful to run or chase deer during closed season, except
when under the control of the owner. This applies only to
counties where hunting deer with dogs is allowed. In counties
or parts thereof and game lands where hunting deer with dogs
is prohibited, running or chasing deer is prohibited at all times.
See map on page 53.

Also the law allows the NCWRC to restrict the use of dogs on wildlife from April 15th to June 15th.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Then okay.

But I never thought the old SH law applied to training dogs w/o weapons on private lands.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Then okay.

But I never thought the old SH law applied to training dogs w/o weapons on private lands.
The new law superceded it. There was many dog hunters that were cited for catching dogs on Sunday that were left out all night from Sat. that still had guns in their truck that had no intention of hunting. All they were doing was catching dogs. But they were out, had the dogs and the guns. Ask them.

Last edited: