Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you start shed hunting

March is when I start looking as well. Found these two on Saturday while checking cameras, they are older though.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/587cdd8d...14_133735.jpg?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Six Pointer

I wait til they drop

I use my cameras to tell me when to look, late feb through early April most years I like to make sure and walk trails that cross anything bucks have to jump, also brushy bedding areas. but I have found the most in the wide open bean/cotton fields... I keep corn poured in log/brush pile not paid off yet but maybe one day.....
    Last edited by tra_cline; 01-17-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Eight Pointer

Keep your cameras out. They will let you know when to go look.

I never have had much luck shed hunting. I would love some expert advice however I have heard it is difficult in hilly timber country, which is basically all of the property I hunt.
    "Do or do not, there is no try. " - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRules View Post
    I never have had much luck shed hunting. I would love some expert advice however I have heard it is difficult in hilly timber country, which is basically all of the property I hunt.
    FWIW...most people don't have much luck shed hunting in NC because the terrain/cover make shed hunting very difficult, and also there just aren't the numbers of bucks around that exist in Midwestern or western states. Buck to doe ratios are usually way out of whack, and most of the bucks that are alive have little horns, which aren't easy to spot in a briar thicket or among a bunch of pine needles. Deer in NC also don't have typical winter/fall/summer ranges like further north. The die hard shed hunters out west scout deer/elk to find where they spend the winter, usually around lots of thermal cover close to food. 2 years ago in Illinois a buddy and I walked 6 hours without finding a shed, and then found 14 antlers within a 300 yard radius when we stumbled upon a grassy knoll in the middle of a marsh where there was a lot of sunlight. that just doesn't happen in NC...deer stay spread out all year so finding sheds are few and far between. I shed hunted NC every spring from the time I was 13 till last spring at 28, and I have found a grand total of less than 25. By comparison, I found 36 in Indiana last spring and 38 the year before that. So I wouldn't get discouraged by not finding many. Those shed junkies out in south Dakota are on a whole different playing field; it's not a fair comparison to the Southeast. That being said, if you are in timbered hilly country...look high. Look for thermal cover (south facing slopes, pine trees, laurel bushes, up against fallen logs). I would start in places where bucks will bed to catch early morning sun on cold days, and then check the trails leading away from those spots.

Late Feb to Early March IS WHEN I Really start looking.
    "LIFE IS TOUGH, BUT IT'S TOUGHER IF YOUR STUPID."- JOHN WAYNE

I saw a spike yesterday AM with horns still and my wife saw a "huge deer" with rack intact yesterday evening,,,,,,,,,,,

not time yet,,,,,,,
    ,,,,sent using Jedi Mind Tricks,,,,,,,

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, conservational, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to "defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic........so help me God"

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by redbow View Post
    I wait til they drop
    Best piece of advice I have read on this thread!

Ten Pointer

I may look around a Lil between now and mid march. But starting March 15th I'll start looking hard. Lots of people have a hard time finding them. I Normally find a lot every year.