Vacation planning

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
This will be my first spring in North Carolina. I have to put in for my vacation this week and was wondering what week in the season would be yalls choice to hunt. Early,middle,or late season. I will probably be hunting primarily in the Pisgah National Forest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they are all good,,,I've had good luck during all periods and I don't have a favorite,,,,,,

later in the season you tend to find less folks out there though and that is a plus to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
April 20 thru 30th is prime time just about anywhere if you are hunting NC........ in my experience. I think opening week is good but sometime opening week can be a dud. Most turkeys that I have killed have always been between the 20th to the 30th.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
message sent. Early season is filled with pressure 2nd into 3rd week there tends to be when the lull occurs it varies with area and elevation. You also have to talke into account each year when season opens like this spring it is earliest it can open which sucks its just to early I'm speaking for biological reasons for the high Mtn areas the breeding should be well on way before season ends but not this year. next year will be better won't open till 14th.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
message sent. Early season is filled with pressure 2nd into 3rd week there tends to be when the lull occurs it varies with area and elevation. You also have to talke into account each year when season opens like this spring it is earliest it can open which sucks its just to early I'm speaking for biological reasons for the high Mtn areas the breeding should be well on way before season ends but not this year. next year will be better won't open till 14th.
Thanks for the message. Reply sent.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
since you were very specific in locations you have folks here that can really help with the timing.

all ii know is that there are a lot of them dead after a week of youth and regular season.

I would go as early as possible.trying to time peak gobbling is a crap shoot.

it'll also put you in a great way for later hunts, you'll have the logistics and birds somewhat figured out.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
since you were very specific in locations you have folks here that can really help with the timing.

all ii know is that there are a lot of them dead after a week of youth and regular season.

I would go as early as possible.trying to time peak gobbling is a crap shoot.

it'll also put you in a great way for later hunts, you'll have the logistics and birds somewhat figured out.

good advice,,,,and why I hunt as much as I can from day 1 to end of season,,,,,,learn more and more on that last bit "logistics and birds" each time out,,,,and never know when I'll run into a dumb one!!

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
good advice,,,,and why I hunt as much as I can from day 1 to end of season,,,,,,learn more and more on that last bit "logistics and birds" each time out,,,,and never know when I'll run into a dumb one!!
Oh believe me,I hunt every opportunity I get,not just vacation. I was just curious due to the fact that I have to put in for vacation so early. All my sick days are saved for turkeys as well as of course days off.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pisgah NF spans across 13 counties from Lenoir foothills north to The Virginia line and west to the Tennessee line in Madison County then further west to Waynesville in Haywood County and south to Brevard in Transylvania County........hard to give advice without knowing more info. :confused:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
April 20 thru 30th is prime time just about anywhere if you are hunting NC........ in my experience. I think opening week is good but sometime opening week can be a dud. Most turkeys that I have killed have always been between the 20th to the 30th.

I always love hunting April 20something.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

This will be worse ever for the birds since the NC opener is earliest possible its just to early they don't have enough time to get breeding in before youth week starts

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

This will be worse ever for the birds since the NC opener is earliest possible its just to early they don't have enough time to get breeding in before youth week starts

worst ever in terms of reproduction but in terms of killing one the best time?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I always love hunting April 20something.

I seem to kill one more often in the 20's, than any other time, but I agree with OS that opening week is not bad. Statistically, there are more birds to kill opening week, and taking that week for vacation gives you all of the info and scouting for the rest of the season. It will get you a jump start on the learning curve since this is your first year.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
First week, still lots of lets say more enthusiastic 2 year olds. Can be good but birds may be henned up. Last week of season seems the biggest birds are killed that have lost all their gals and get lonely. Gobbling will peak and fall all season so its really a crapshoot.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
normally from my experience I have the best luck the first and third weeks of turkey season. It tends to be the end of the third week too. The last couple I have tagged out in the first week though so its hard to say.