Falls of the nuese - Butner Depot

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Guys not trying to be a cyber scouter but a buddy and I have a permit hunt there tomorrow morning. We had planned on scouting it this past weekend but life happens and we didnt make it. I have read online that some impoundments in butner were not being pumped this year, does anybody know if the butner depot impoundment has water, or any other "advice" they can offer me. Ill only ever hunt the place on a permit hunt, as the coast is closer and seemingly more rewarding, just dont want to get out there to a hayfield. I can deal with ice, but dont want to make the drive for it to be dry. - Jake

JD1107

Not sure if it's dry, but you most likely will be breaking ice. Pond I hunted today in Pitt county had 2-3 inches of ice on it and it ranges from 2-8 feet deep.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
yea i expect that much. I live in Pitt county as well and my swamp on my property is all of 3 inches thick as well. I can break ice, just cant make water appear!

ridenismo

Six Pointer
thanks fellas. thats more information than i was expecting, and i truely appreciate it. Will let yall know how it goes

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Full of water but the ice will be so thick that it won't even be worth the drive up with roads as bad as they are.

Lou

Eight Pointer
Guys not trying to be a cyber scouter but a buddy and I have a permit hunt there tomorrow morning. We had planned on scouting it this past weekend but life happens and we didnt make it. I have read online that some impoundments in butner were not being pumped this year, does anybody know if the butner depot impoundment has water, or any other "advice" they can offer me. Ill only ever hunt the place on a permit hunt, as the coast is closer and seemingly more rewarding, just dont want to get out there to a hayfield. I can deal with ice, but dont want to make the drive for it to be dry. - Jake

Jake,
If you need to check the flooding schedule for the Butner gameland impoundments, just check the game land map for that area: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Game-Land-Maps/Piedmont/Butner-Falls-of-Neuse.pdf

You can see that the NCWRC puts notes on the game land map every year stating which impoundments are being flooded that year. (Check the lower left corner of page 2).

A buddy and me were drawn for the Flat River impoundment for today........I didn't even set my alarm. This has happened to me several times in the past few years, frozen out!!! One year we took a canoe in there and broke ice for an hour before sunrise........never saw a duck. I think I'm going to apply for dates in November and December from now on! :)

Lou

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Well Lou you hit the nail on the head. We broke a big spot open, probably 30 yards in diameter and saw 4 ducks all morning. They were so high they had to dodge planes not pellets. Cant be mad about it though, any day in the field seeing new areas with buddies is better than a day at work or laying in bed! The ice was thick enough we walked on it the whole way to our "spot", so it had been locked up at least 2 days.

IrishTex

Button Buck
Resurrecting this thread - as it is very relevant. :)

I have a permit for Buntner next week and am new to the area… love any advice.

This is my first solo hunt in the area - previously I lived in Texas and was a guest at a lease over a flooded rice field.. so no experience with trees

Any suggestions on decoys / mojos, calling (I’m not good so will do very little calling), species I’d likely see… will my dog need a raised stand to keep him out of the water (hopefully between retrieves) - literally any info is welcome.

I plan to head out there this Sunday to walk around… but love y’all’s thoughts

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Any suggestions on decoys

yes, I'd use some,,, 2 or 3,,,or a few dozen

Any suggestions on,,,, mojos,

sometimes they help,,, sometimes they don't,,,

Any suggestions ,,,,calling (I’m not good so will do very little calling)

good idea,,, when in doubt,,, don't call

Any suggestions ,,,,,,,,,,, species I’d likely see…

all depends on where ya hunt on butner,,,

literally any info is welcome.

stay home,,, go squirrel hunting,,, odds are MUCH better at success,,,

IrishTex

Button Buck
Yea - that makes sense. Thank you.

I’ve only hunted ducks 5-7 times in my life (only got a shotgun in my mid 30s) and never shot a limit… so anything is pretty much enjoyable to me. I just want to have fun… but want to try to at least optimize my chances… hence the ask.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
Sit on a tree line. Wood ducks will be the first birds you see for the first 5 minutes or so. They mostly won't decoy and you'll have passing shots. Shoot fast and quick, because after the sun is up and all the other bozos start shooting at them 75 yards in the sky, it's toast. Time to pack it up and get breakfast.

Be ready to be absolutely disappointed, and maybe you'll get some luck.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer

This is my first solo hunt in the area - previously I lived in Texas and was a guest at a lease over a flooded rice field.. so no experience with trees

Any suggestions on decoys / mojos, calling (I’m not good so will do very little calling), species I’d likely see… will my dog need a raised stand to keep him out of the water (hopefully between retrieves) - literally any info is welcome.

What impoundment did you draw?

JONOV

Twelve Pointer

You will need a raised stand for your dog most likely. You might just have a few woodies to shoot but might have other ducks and the decoys are obviously going to help in that case.