flintlock season in North Carolina

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Pennsylvania has a flintlock season from late December to the end of January. This is in addition to their muzzle loader season they have in early fall. I'd like to see something similar in North Carolina. To me it's a cool way to have a truly primitive firearm season, extend the hunting season, without deer numbers being affected too dramatically. Does anyone know if there is a biological or political reason why we couldn't do something similar here? Just curious.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You can use flintlock for months in NC for be by time Jan 1st comes around its time to call it so much opportunity with many weapons already with the exception of western season of course who gets shorted

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You have 8-9 weeks now that anyone can hunt with a flintlock. Check the PA regs and see if that's the case there. Also, check their season length...

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I like the idea of a time dedicated solely to a true primitive firearm. Pennsylvania's seems pretty popular, based on the Youtube videos I watch (I'll put a plug in for the leatherwood outdoors channel for those interested). So no, 2 1/2 months aren't enough for me. I hunt regularly from September to January and I could easily go a couple more weeks for a flintlock only season.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The NCWRC is proposing an archery only late season for the mountains this year.

Why not add flintlock rifles or muskets?

I mean the bear hunters will complain but

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The NCWRC is proposing an archery only late season for the mountains this year.

Why not add flintlock rifles or muskets?

I mean the bear hunters will complain but
Heck why not, shotguns, rifles and even LAWS rockets? If the idea was ARCHERY ONLY, why stick to the original format?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to the public hearing and oppose it.

Hopefully it gets shot down and the game lands are left to small game and bear hunting.

I was pointing out how absurd it is to make it archery only if you are going to extend the deer season.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like the idea of a time dedicated solely to a true primitive firearm. Pennsylvania's seems pretty popular, based on the Youtube videos I watch (I'll put a plug in for the leatherwood outdoors channel for those interested). So no, 2 1/2 months aren't enough for me. I hunt regularly from September to January and I could easily go a couple more weeks for a flintlock only season.

I hunt plenty as well,,,,and have hunted PA's flintlock season,,,,,different state, different traditions, different requirements,,,,,

I could easily go year round,,,but that's not practical,,,,,,and since so many fret for NC's deer herd expect we need to give them some relief,,,,,,,,

it's only 4 hours or so to southern PA (depending on where you are in NC) so an easy trip if your just hankering for more deer hunting,,,,,,,,that's part of why I hunt SC,,,so I am in the woods in mid August!!

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
So the biological reason I'm hearing is that it puts too much pressure on the deer herd. But would that really be the case? We're talking flintlocks, with iron sights.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So the biological reason I'm hearing is that it puts too much pressure on the deer herd. But would that really be the case? We're talking flintlocks, with iron sights.

if your referencing my comment,,,I gave no "biological reason",,,I said "different state, different traditions, different requirements"

my reference to people fretting on the deer herd was a reference to other threads,,,,,,,

and I understand what a flintlock is,,,,and iron sights,,,,have one or 4 of them myself,,,,,,,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to the public hearing and oppose it.

Hopefully it gets shot down and the game lands are left to small game and bear hunting.

I was pointing out how absurd it is to make it archery only if you are going to extend the deer season.

I thought just little while ago you were griping about lack of opportunity for western deer hunting

theshark

Button Buck
I grew up hunting in Arkansas and still hunt there primarily. Their Bow season runs from Oct 1 to Feb 28 to really give the bow hunters a chance. Gun season ends on Dec. 28. By Jan 7 or so the woods have quieted down and its cold and the deer are hungry and its BY FAR my favorite season. All the biggest deer of my life have been seen in January. The Jan. bow season was what got me into bowhunting in the first place by allowing me to hunt more. Living in NC...January is so boring. I'd love nothing more than to be able to hunt right now....much prefer the cold and snow and seeing tons of deer vs boiling alive in Sep. fighting snakes, ticks, and skeeters....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd be fine with it if it started Dec. 15th. The seasons don't need to extend past Jan. 1. Everyone keeps pushing for it, but the season is too long already.

I've hunted PA's late season.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
2 1/2 months aren't enough?

You do realize that a really large chunk of NC has only three weeks of rifle season, starting the week of Thanksgiving, and with ALL deer hunting ending the second week of December?

Last edited:

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
if your referencing my comment,,,I gave no "biological reason",,,I said "different state, different traditions, different requirements"

my reference to people fretting on the deer herd was a reference to other threads,,,,,,,

and I understand what a flintlock is,,,,and iron sights,,,,have one or 4 of them myself,,,,,,,,

I wasn't referencing your comment directly, more of an overall summation of what I was hearing in people's responses. I agree in some parts of the state, no additional pressure is needed. Where I hunt in the east, we were covered up in deer. No quality, but tons of quantity.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You do realize that a really large chunk of NC has only three weeks of rifle season, starting the week of Thanksgiving, and with ALL deer hunting ending the second week of December?

oh yes Sir I sure do realize that,,,,and personally could care less if the whole state had that,,,,but that is a different story,,,,,

and I don't consider 19 counties out of 100 a "large chunk" in number nor are they a large chunk in area,,,,,,

hunting-units-map.gif

and you do realize that the highways take you to other parts of the state right? where one can hunt all one wants in other seasons,,,,,,,

I traveled to the mountains to turkey hunt back when my county, and the surrounding counties, didn't have turkeys or a turkey season,,,,,,just the way life goes - folks live where they want to live and deal with all the benefits AND lack of benefits that area provides,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
oh yes Sir I sure do realize that,,,,and personally could care less if the whole state had that,,,,but that is a different story,,,,,

and I don't consider 19 counties out of 100 a "large chunk" in number nor are they a large chunk in area,,,,,,

hunting-units-map.gif

and you do realize that the highways take you to other parts of the state right? where one can hunt all one wants in other seasons,,,,,,,

I traveled to the mountains to turkey hunt back when my county, and the surrounding counties, didn't have turkeys or a turkey season,,,,,,just the way life goes - folks live where they want to live and deal with all the benefits AND lack of benefits that area provides,,,,,,,,

Yes sir, I travel to the Piedmont every year to hunt, partly for that very reason. And if you took to walking from Marion to Murphy, you might change your mind about the large chunk of country. Especially when you consider that God loved hillbillies so much that he stacked the land up in piles for us. :D

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
it's only 4 hours or so to southern PA...
I wish that were true. I live pretty close to the VA line, and 4 hours only gets you to Warrenton, VA. Then you still have northern VA, WVA, and Maryland to go. If you don't stop and have no traffic issues (good luck on I95) you can get to the PA state line in 6. Add more for arriving at where you are really going to hunt.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,. Especially when you consider that God loved hillbillies so much that he stacked the land up in piles for us. :D

there ya go!!

I grew up hunting mountains/big ridges,,,,,,,,love that country,,,,,,but alas work has me down this way in the swamps and sand!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wish that were true. I live pretty close to the VA line, and 4 hours only gets you to Warrenton, VA. Then you still have northern VA, WVA, and Maryland to go. If you don't stop and have no traffic issues (good luck on I95) you can get to the PA state line in 6. Add more for arriving at where you are really going to hunt.

dang,,,I live in sounthern NC and 4 hours gets me to Richmond,,,,,,

but heck,,,lets' call it 5 1/2 hours,,,,Winston Salem to Greencastle,,,,,there ya go

but anyhow,,,you knew were I was going,,,,,a half day drive from NC and you can deer hunt from August to end of January,,,,,,,

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
dang,,,I live in sounthern NC and 4 hours gets me to Richmond,,,,,,

but heck,,,lets' call it 5 1/2 hours,,,,Winston Salem to Greencastle,,,,,there ya go

but anyhow,,,you knew were I was going,,,,,a half day drive from NC and you can deer hunt from August to end of January,,,,,,,
Oh yeah, I knew where you were going with it, just applying some reality from my 100 or more real life experiences making that trip. Your 4 hours to Richmond only leaves you 3 more. The Warrenton VA I mentioned is far north of Richmond. I've done it from Winston-Salem also (and Greensboro and Lexington). With minimum stops and good traffic, it's at least 6.5 from W-S, regardless of what a computer may tell you. The place I'm stopping is off 81 just north of Greencastle PA, where I will be soon be attending a gunshow.

Now back to the topic at hand, the flintlock season in PA...

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

It's popular in PA because their rifle season is only two weeks long.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Pennsylvania has a flintlock season from late December to the end of January. This is in addition to their muzzle loader season they have in early fall. I'd like to see something similar in North Carolina. To me it's a cool way to have a truly primitive firearm season, extend the hunting season, without deer numbers being affected too dramatically. Does anyone know if there is a biological or political reason why we couldn't do something similar here? Just curious.

That ship sailed years ago, use your flintlock when muzzleloading comes in and go hunt whole season with it...

No different than archery, when they went away from recurves and let every kind of gadget you can hang on
a bow be legal, true bow hunting stopped...

What kind of flinter do you have???