Headed to OBX tomorrow 1/11/2017

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Anyone got any reports from Rodanthe, Oregon inlet area? We may end of going to Currituck depending on where the guide says the ducks are. I have never been before so I am a little excited.

Also, any suggestions of gear I need to pack?

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was there last week, the conditions since I left are much different then when I was there. Having said that, there were very few divers when I was there. Mostly puddle ducks. Hopefully with the colder weather that pushed through some migrated down. As far as gear, make sure you pack for the temp to be 10-15 degrees colder than it is predicted to be. Also make sure you have a good head light, something hands free so you can see in the boat and in the blind before daylight. I took way more clothes than I needed but you never know. Also, if you are not taking a spare gun, have a gun cleaning kit or some tools in case you need to work on your shotgun while you are there.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!

skydog

I haven't been down there hunting this season so can't comment on that, but bring some food/snacks. More than likely you may stay out until the afternoon and most guides won't be cooking a hot breakfast for you in the blind so have a food plan.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
My boss has been in Currituck the last couple days. Based on the pic he sent me last night, it looks pretty good.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
There has been a ton of divers and puddle ducks here but they had no reason to leave the refuge. That changed when it froze and the last few days have been great hunting. A lot of places thawed out today and it's raining now so who knows what it will be like tomorrow. Maybe we will get a couple more days before the bulk of them figure out pine trees surrounded by plastic ducks aren't a good place to hang out.

Who are you hunting with?