Daniel Boone NF Kentucky

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody hunt DB NF in Kentucky?

I got a buddy who lives in London KY so have a place to stay. I was curious if anybody had any input on it, I am thinking about giving it a try for a few days next archery season. I hope to get out there this summer and have a look around.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Funny, I just finalized plans with some friends for a hiking trip in the first weekend in march near slade ( Sheltowee Trace trail, powell county). I was wondering if it was legal to hunt and if so was going to do a little scouting while on the trip. would you be near there?

LDG

Twelve Pointer
dpc if I were you I would look around before spring green up. You'll be able to tell a lot more. I have seen some nice deer coming out of dbnf passing through to hunt central KY.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would be staying in Laurens County. From looking at the map there is NF on both sides of I75. I would be closest to the Western portion and in the London Ranger District.

LDG thanks for the input. Guess I will have to make a trip this winter and get acclimated, it's not a bad drive from where I live.

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I've driven through it on I-75... looks a lot like WNC terrain... google search reveals some nice bucks killed out of there... I would imagine rifle rut hunt would offer best chance to connect, but it's KY. so you're in the right state!

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I've driven through it on I-75... looks a lot like WNC terrain... google search reveals some nice bucks killed out of there... I would imagine rifle rut hunt would offer best chance to connect, but it's KY. so you're in the right state!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I hunted the Daniel Boone NF a lot but it was back in the late 70s,,,,weren't many deer back then (we were squirrel hunting) as the locals tended to "shoot on sight" back then,,,,,dern hillbillies,,,,,,,,,,

have fun,,,,see lots of deer there abouts now

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Don't be dogging us hillbillies. I have family in Pike county and grew up on border and can tell you just because its in Ky don't let it mislead you into thinking its like the ones coming from central to west Ky This is mountainous terrain with not real high deer densities but like any southeast Mtn national forest there are pockets that hold more deer look for lower elevation terrain and better surrounding habitat. Expect to have to hie in and long tough drag out if you have ever hunted Pisgah you'll have idea same with Jefferson in Va. I do like the idea of scouting now what would be prime idea is early turkey hunt after green up it'll be tough. Oh and by ay they get their fair share of issues like Pisgah between hikers and bikers ask your relatives about less popular areas

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I grew up right across the river in WV and me and some buddies hiked through Daniel Boone a few summers ago. I can't tell you much about hunting the NF, but if it's like WV, there's a lot of hills and a lot of deer- though not many big bucks around.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunted the Daniel Boone NF a lot but it was back in the late 70s,,,,weren't many deer back then (we were squirrel hunting) as the locals tended to "shoot on sight" back then,,,,,dern hillbillies,,,,,,,,,,

have fun,,,,see lots of deer there abouts now
I have hunted it in WV quite a bit, hills isn't exactly what I would call them. :rolleyes: Back in the day I could take it pretty good. I would quit before I would attempt it now. SMH

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It's not to awful bad I'm an old fat man and can still do it use the old logging roads is the secret. I'll be in Pike county here in few weeks

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I just spent a few days on the Sheltowee Trace in Daniel Boone. Man, that is some pretty country. Saw a mature buck track bigger than I have ever seen in NC. Also saw an old guy dropping a duece trailside, but hey, thats another story.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have hunted it in WV quite a bit, hills isn't exactly what I would call them.

no kidding,,,,,,,,,I did an "advance land navigation" course (student and then later as cadre) in West Virginia,,,,,not sure I want to do them again in any form of rush!! nice and slow,,,,,,maybe

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
no kidding,,,,,,,,,I did an "advance land navigation" course (student and then later as cadre) in West Virginia,,,,,not sure I want to do them again in any form of rush!! nice and slow,,,,,,maybe
That was where I learned my lesson at a younger age, don't trust people from the mountains when they say "it ain't bad, we have some rolling hills, there are some steep spots but most places ain't bad". First off their hills are MOUNTAINS, and when it gets to what they call steep you better have rappelling gear.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am starting to get use to the mountains. The good thing, I have learned to be more patient. Sometimes it's a lot of work to go see what's over that next ridge.......

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I am starting to get use to the mountains. The good thing, I have learned to be more patient. Sometimes it's a lot of work to go see what's over that next ridge.......

That's about as true as it gets. And those hills make scent control a nightmare if there's any wind. Personally I love hunting the mountains, but if you're not accustomed to it it can make hard work.