Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Dog Fence????

Default Wireless Dog Fence????

Thinking about giving the Pet Safe brand a try. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these things??
    "We know -- every day weíre in touch with those kids."

"We donít know whatís going on every day. I mean, Iíve got 13 to 17 kids, counting the walk-ons"

Lying Roy Williams
    BB Coach
    UnCHEAT

Four Pointer

had one we used with our lab, worked great till a famliy with kids moved in across the street!!!!! he didn't know it was there after that!!!!!

Old Mossy Horns Redneck Rocker Dude's Avatar

Underground fences worked wonders for my dads Dalmatians. I have a pet safe brand shock collar for my lab (only use it anymore when he's being extremely stubborn) but it's been a good one and never let us down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I can do all things through Christ which gives me strength" -Phillipians 4:13

Mean Green Kennels

"Never give up, no excuses."
    -RIP Coach Hynus

Four Pointer

I have had mixed results with a radio fence with a buried wire. We lived in a sub-development with larger lots and we had about 1/2 acre back of the house with an underground fence. Worked great for a while and we thought everything was good. The two dogs we had would stay in the yard and wouldn't go near the fence. While the wife and I were home! One of the neighbors mentioned one day that one of them liked to come by and visit during the day when we weren't home! I got off work early shortly after that and coasted into the driveway rather than stopping at the mailbox like normal. Peeked around the back of the house and saw both dogs running back into the yard. I went into the house like normal and opened the back door and both dogs were sitting there like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths! We decided to put in a woven wire fence after that!

That said, our neighbor where we live now has great luck with their fence. It may be related to the fact that she has small lap dogs and we had medium size ones though.

Good luck,

Hunter

Twelve Pointer

They work good if your property is relatively flat. If you have a bank or slope you will have issues. Pet Safe is pretty good company. If your dog is stubborn you can get a collar with a little more zap.

Neighbor used to have one but then the dog learned that he could take off running really fast and tolerate the shock while he flew through the barrier. Was completely ineffective after that.
    Right Wing Extremist - Bitterly clinging to guns and religion.

Do yourself a favor and get the invisible fence brand. I have the gps system on both my labs and it's worth every penny. It's not cheap but it has a lifetime warranty on the hardware. No wires to bury and can be configured to any size you would like, from 1:4 acre to 22,000 acres, it doesn't matter. I am sure there is a two near you, my fence size is 15 acres right now but I think I am going to make it a little smaller, labs are getting older and don't roam as much.

My labs are 105 and 85 pounds, it keeps them inside, ithas measures to keep the inside, it won't let the lay at the fence and run the battery down and so forth. The rechargeable batteries last about 48 hours if they run continuously. Give them a call you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by DADOGG14; 01-11-2017 at 09:21 PM.

I live on a hill and keep 2 boxers and a gsd in with a pet safe wireless with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeskinner View Post
    Neighbor used to have one but then the dog learned that he could take off running really fast and tolerate the shock while he flew through the barrier. Was completely ineffective after that.
    Mine figured that out about 3 minutes into it. They could get through the boundary edge, the line, and the far side without ever getting shocked if they got a good running start.

Twelve Pointer

I would forgo the fence. 5 mins a day and in a month any dog can be taught to stay in the yard. Pete my beagle/coonhound mix was taught in maybe a month . He was harder to train than my last 4 dogs but the last four were not hounds. All of my neighbors said that Pete would never ever be taught to stay in the yard like my last few dogs. Any dog that can learn whoah, stop or what ever you want to say and the word no can be taught. With Pete I had to use a 30 ft rope the size of starter cord and when he bolted I stepped on the cord so he was stopped at the street , or property line. He was more challenging than my previous 4 dogs which were all Boxers but you can train a boxer to do anything. My first boxer I trained to do all kinds of stuff even climbing a ladder and getting on a roof which was a hoot. Got that from the Famous book "My Life with Boxers" written by Friederun von Miran-Stockmann . a must read for any dog trainer or dog owner.
    Last edited by Mack in N.C.; 01-11-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Coleman Scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's
    Mowhawk Pack, 1232 Jon
    Wilderness Systems Atak 140

mackinncblog.blogspot.com