Wireless Dog Fence????

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
Thinking about giving the Pet Safe brand a try. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these things??

dbcrowbar

Six Pointer
had one we used with our lab, worked great till a famliy with kids moved in across the street!!!!! he didn't know it was there after that!!!!!

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Underground fences worked wonders for my dads Dalmatians. I have a pet safe brand shock collar for my lab (only use it anymore when he's being extremely stubborn) but it's been a good one and never let us down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I have had mixed results with a radio fence with a buried wire. We lived in a sub-development with larger lots and we had about 1/2 acre back of the house with an underground fence. Worked great for a while and we thought everything was good. The two dogs we had would stay in the yard and wouldn't go near the fence. While the wife and I were home! One of the neighbors mentioned one day that one of them liked to come by and visit during the day when we weren't home! I got off work early shortly after that and coasted into the driveway rather than stopping at the mailbox like normal. Peeked around the back of the house and saw both dogs running back into the yard. I went into the house like normal and opened the back door and both dogs were sitting there like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths! :) We decided to put in a woven wire fence after that!

That said, our neighbor where we live now has great luck with their fence. It may be related to the fact that she has small lap dogs and we had medium size ones though.

Good luck,

Hunter

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They work good if your property is relatively flat. If you have a bank or slope you will have issues. Pet Safe is pretty good company. If your dog is stubborn you can get a collar with a little more zap.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Neighbor used to have one but then the dog learned that he could take off running really fast and tolerate the shock while he flew through the barrier. Was completely ineffective after that.

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
Do yourself a favor and get the invisible fence brand. I have the gps system on both my labs and it's worth every penny. It's not cheap but it has a lifetime warranty on the hardware. No wires to bury and can be configured to any size you would like, from 1:4 acre to 22,000 acres, it doesn't matter. I am sure there is a two near you, my fence size is 15 acres right now but I think I am going to make it a little smaller, labs are getting older and don't roam as much.

My labs are 105 and 85 pounds, it keeps them inside, ithas measures to keep the inside, it won't let the lay at the fence and run the battery down and so forth. The rechargeable batteries last about 48 hours if they run continuously. Give them a call you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Neighbor used to have one but then the dog learned that he could take off running really fast and tolerate the shock while he flew through the barrier. Was completely ineffective after that.

Mine figured that out about 3 minutes into it. They could get through the boundary edge, the line, and the far side without ever getting shocked if they got a good running start.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I would forgo the fence. 5 mins a day and in a month any dog can be taught to stay in the yard. Pete my beagle/coonhound mix was taught in maybe a month . He was harder to train than my last 4 dogs but the last four were not hounds. All of my neighbors said that Pete would never ever be taught to stay in the yard like my last few dogs. Any dog that can learn whoah, stop or what ever you want to say and the word no can be taught. With Pete I had to use a 30 ft rope the size of starter cord and when he bolted I stepped on the cord so he was stopped at the street , or property line. He was more challenging than my previous 4 dogs which were all Boxers but you can train a boxer to do anything. My first boxer I trained to do all kinds of stuff even climbing a ladder and getting on a roof which was a hoot. Got that from the Famous book "My Life with Boxers" written by Friederun von Miran-Stockmann . a must read for any dog trainer or dog owner.

Last edited:

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
My neighbor has the petsafe RF fence. Keeps his pitbull from running off. His dog will
Bark at us daily and at my dogs thru the fence but won't go past the boundary. I've watched other dogs wander toward his property while the pitbull watched, but never crossed the boundary.
I am very impressed by it. But, as others have said, some dogs might be smarter/stubborn and learn to go thru it.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
We installed a Petsafe wireless and ended up taking it back, we have two hounds and they ran through it the first day,
couldn't keep them in the yard.
We put up a heavy duty stock fence and they can't get out and nothing gets in.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
My dad has one( PetSafe) for his yard dog, a feist/black mouth cur cross. It works. The dog hates a squirrel and when one is on the other side of the wire ,he runs to the shock zone ,stops and barks. When we trained the dog the system was turned to its highest training level, once the dog was trained we turned the system to low level. My dad lost power for 5 day after Matthew and the dog never went past his fence line during that time. If the dog is properly trained on the system it works. If you put the wire in and put the collar on the dog and expect it to contain the dog you will be disappointed.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They work well, depending upon the nature of your dog. We used the petsafe brand on 3 dogs. They worked GREAT on two of our dogs. However, we had a stubborn, "Houdini" of a beagle that constantly challenged us and the system. A physical fence alone could not prevent her escapes. The petsafe alone, could not prevent her escapes. We had to use BOTH a chain link fence AND the petsafe system to keep her contained. Even then, we would occasionally find her laying in a zone that would cause the color to "beep" constantly, but not shock...she learned she could wear down the battery and the collar wouldn't shock her!

Other considerations are, they may keep your dog in, but they won't keep other dogs, critters, people out.
I would advise having a second unit on hand as a backup. Lightning strikes, blown fuses, etc will disable them. Petsafe has a pretty good warranty (last we used it, it was $25 to repair a unit), but you will be without it for several weeks. Extra batteries and repair wire should also be kept on hand.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
My neighbor has the petsafe RF fence. Keeps his pitbull from running off. His dog will
Bark at us daily and at my dogs thru the fence but won't go past the boundary. I've watched other dogs wander toward his property while the pitbull watched, but never crossed the boundary.
I am very impressed by it. But, as others have said, some dogs might be smarter/stubborn and learn to go thru it.
As posted above.
If you are talking about the radio fence from Petsafe, they work. You need to condition/train the dog [one day-5 hours] and you should be good to go.
These units are not the "wire-in ground" type they use RF signal.
The dog cannot "run thru" the boundary like the in ground type.
IMO they are the best thing to keep your dog contained.

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Been having the same problem with one of our dogs, she discovered she could either dig out the fence or climb the dang thing. Picking up a pet safe wireless unit today. Hopefully the combo of the two will keep her in the yard.

They work well, depending upon the nature of your dog. We used the petsafe brand on 3 dogs. They worked GREAT on two of our dogs. However, we had a stubborn, "Houdini" of a beagle that constantly challenged us and the system. A physical fence alone could not prevent her escapes. The petsafe alone, could not prevent her escapes. We had to use BOTH a chain link fence AND the petsafe system to keep her contained. Even then, we would occasionally find her laying in a zone that would cause the color to "beep" constantly, but not shock...she learned she could wear down the battery and the collar wouldn't shock her!

Other considerations are, they may keep your dog in, but they won't keep other dogs, critters, people out.
I would advise having a second unit on hand as a backup. Lightning strikes, blown fuses, etc will disable them. Petsafe has a pretty good warranty (last we used it, it was $25 to repair a unit), but you will be without it for several weeks. Extra batteries and repair wire should also be kept on hand.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
One of my old neighbors had one and had two undisciplined pit bulls that he would leave outside unsupervised all day. I would get a call at work that there are two pit bulls on my porch growling or at my fence (an actual real fence btw) barking at my dogs. The only thing that saved their lives was my girlfriend wouldn't shoot them and I was at work usually when this happened. I would have not hesitated to take care of them myself if I had been there.

I have also had to put the beatdown on a dog that ran through a invisible "fence" to attack my dauchshund, and then cussed out his female owner for not supervising her aggressive dog.

If you like your dogs and your neighbors, save up the money to get an actual fence instead of risking some situations like I have been in. Even if your dog is great that doesn't stop other dogs/animals/kids from wandering in and who knows what could happen then.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had one of the wireless deals when I lived in a neighborhood. It would beep as the dog got close to the edge, then it would shock them. It was very reliable and after taking the dog on a leash to the edge and letting him hear the beep and then get shocked the first day, he was fine.