Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to country music

Six Pointer

Default What has happened to country music

It just goes from bad to worse... Embarrassing... Raleigh radio stations are horrendous...Glad we have XM...

What they play today can't really be called "country" music, and in my opinion, has been steadily going downhill over the past decade. There's some good stuff being written / sang, but it's not being played on the radio.

I'm like you, I find myself listening to XM more. XM channels like "Willie's Roadhouse," "Outlaw Country," and "Prime Country" are what I'm usually tuned to. Guess I'm older, but I like to hear Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and George Jones. George Strait is about as modern as I get.....
    Last edited by aya28ga; 01-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

What happened to the "Western" in "Country and Western" music?
    “A Savage rifle, topped with a Vortex scope, shooting Berger bullets…pretty much living the white trash dream”

“Fish meat is pretty much a vegetable”

It's awful. There's only a few modern "country" singers I'd listen to. It might as well be pop music that panders to the south. A real shame.
    My recommendation is essentially a guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by jhwilli2 View Post
    It just goes from bad to worse... Embarrassing... Raleigh radio stations are horrendous...Glad we have XM...
    Same down here. There is one station that plays older country music. It's either that, talk radio or pandora.....no xm in the work truck....
    Fear the Honey Badger

What I can't understand is, with as many of us that detest what country music has become, and extrapolating that to the rest of the population, why the heck aren't there some radio stations out that play REAL country? The only one I know of is here in New Bern, 97.9 "The Bear". I suspect those stations would do VERY well.

Ten Pointer

Not a fan of a lot of the new stuff but this conversation has been had for decades. The music in the 60's was to much pop for the 50's the 70's for the 80's and so on and so on

Huge country music fan and know almost any song from 50's hank Williams to 90's Alan Jackson word for word.

It has died and I actually shifted to listening to completely different genres of music, heavy rock, most of the bands No one would know but the instrumentals and vocals are really talented unlike the mainstream garbage
    The last time I walked through the swamp, I stood up on a cypress stump, I listened close and I heard the ghost of Osceola cry

Drive thru Louisville KY.

Pure country!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Blacked Out 67 LBS.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by wcjones View Post
    Same down here. There is one station that plays older country music. It's either that, talk radio or pandora.....no xm in the work truck....
    You could start a trend!!!! I'll support ya....