M3500 vs. 935

adamwayne

Hey guys so Ive been shooting a Mossberg 535 pump and have decided to invest in an auto loader for next season, maybe even by turkey season. I have narrowed it down to either the Stoeger M3500 or the Mossberg 935 waterfowl pro series. I have read mixed reviews on both shotguns. Not knowing anyone with either, shooting them is out of the question before I pull the trigger so to speak on buying one. I'm just looking for opinions from guys who have either owned one or the other, or has shot both. I know a lot of it will come down to personal comfort but strictly operation, function and reliability wise. Thanks guys!

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
If I had to choose between the two I personally like the M3500 better, but if I was going to buy an auto loader in that price range I would recommend a Beretta A3901. I love mine and I own "better" guns but it's my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I'm gonna tell you something rather pointedly. Don't buy any shotgun based on reviews alone. Rather, buy your shotgun based on how it fits you or can be fitted. A $2500 dollar Beretta Silver Pigeon II will be as reliable as they get, but a $400 Stoger might actually fit you better so as you can actually hit something with consistency. High dollars spent does not equivocate to better shooting, just to a better built firearm. Find the right compromise that works for you.

For me, I personally would try and test run each gun I was interested in, if possible, before I made a decision on which shotgun I would end up with. Don't worry about the cost, just find the guns that fit you first, then determine which one best fits your situation. Good luck.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Good advise ^ my brother had the m3500 and had a lot of issues with cycling and light primer strikes. Didnt matter what load was in it, just chalked it up to either being a lemon or an unreliable design/ manufacturing.
Let the gun pick you then worry about the price. A poor fitted gun will cost you more in misses, and frustration than one higher end gun if that one ends up fitting better.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Fit is important but I personally think that fit and feel is useless if you have a gun that will not function properly. Don't matter how good it feels if it don't work.

If I was looking at two shotguns and both had "mixed reviews", I'd look for a third option and a fourth.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I have both a M2000 and a M3500 and they have been flawless. With dove loads you have to shoot 1 1/8oz for them to cycle every time. I have had my M2000 since 2010 and it has seen 4 trips to AR duck hunting, 6 dove seaons and duck seasons in NC and Turkey seasons. The stock got lose one time while in AR but it was an easy fix.

Jmac

Make your choice a gun you can shoot more of a variety of targets with, doves clays etc, in my opinion, the 935 is the most single use gun out there,,,,and I have owned them, two as a matter of fact. I like my duck gun to also be my go to dove gun, the more you can shoot a gun the more it becomes an extension of you.

crzymke85

Six Pointer
I have both a M2000 and a M3500 and they have been flawless. With dove loads you have to shoot 1 1/8oz for them to cycle every time. I have had my M2000 since 2010 and it has seen 4 trips to AR duck hunting, 6 dove seaons and duck seasons in NC and Turkey seasons. The stock got lose one time while in AR but it was an easy fix.

This...I had an M3000 that I beat to hell through Dove, Duck and Turkey seasons. The only issue I ever had was that you had to shoot 1 1/8oz Dove load but man I loved that gun. The only reason I got rid of it was my wife surprised me with a Versa Max Waterfowl Pro a couple of years back and I passed the M3000 to my BIL who still is having a blast with it.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Please don't take this the wrong way but to me, a semi auto better shoot ANY shell I put in it. Excluding 3" or 3 1/2" capabilities, If a 12 gauge semi will not shoot any 12 ga shell you feed it, then to me, I wouldn't necessarily call that "flawless". If that's what you want and your happy with it, then go for it and enjoy it and if it's a money issue, then buy a pump and save up until you can get a gun that will truly function flawlessly.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have a 935 and mine is a horrible gun. Not going to say they are all like that but mine sucks. It jams up every 6-8 shots no matter what kind of ammo you run through it. Its been that way since day one.

dixiedeerslayer

Ten Pointer
Have a m3000 and it has been flawless for 4 years now. Any load. Use carlson choke tubes and performance is excellent. Couldn't be happier

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Please don't take this the wrong way but to me, a semi auto better shoot ANY shell I put in it. Excluding 3" or 3 1/2" capabilities, If a 12 gauge semi will not shoot any 12 ga shell you feed it, then to me, I wouldn't necessarily call that "flawless". If that's what you want and your happy with it, then go for it and enjoy it and if it's a money issue, then buy a pump and save up until you can get a gun that will truly function flawlessly.

I know people with every grade of semi shotgun there is, and I don't know of any of them that will shoot light 2 3/4 light loads. The 1 1/8 pz dove loads cost the same as the light ones so its not a big deal to me. I paid $489 for my M2000 with the 28" duck barrel and the 24" turkey barrel and stock so I consider it a good deal. I only use my M3500 when goose or Swan hunting and have only shot 3.5 out of it expect when breaking it in.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
man, if you happy with it, that's all that matters.
I know of a couple makes of guns that will shoot everything and I'm sure somebody has had a problem with'em all at some point. Main reason why I went to O/u's. I couldn't find a semi auto made worth a dam. Now there's a couple on the market and I've gone back to hunting with a semi auto (20ga).

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have a 935 and mine is a horrible gun. Not going to say they are all like that but mine sucks. It jams up every 6-8 shots no matter what kind of ammo you run through it. Its been that way since day one.

I have carried and shot a 935 for a long time. If yours is not feeding/firing every shell except for 7/8oz lite loads, you need to take it to a gunsmith and let him find out what is wrong [could be dirty too].
I know lots of folks who have had no 935 problems and just a few who have. Mostly operator error IMO.
Mine got very dirty at a dove field and balked one time. Stripped and wiped it clean and went back to shooting. I have a Mossy 9200 down south that is my go to there on slug hunts, it has never failed me.
I recently bought a Mossy JM930 and it don't care what you feed it........as long as you keep on feeding it.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The 930 and 935 come with adjustment shims to fit the stock to you [I have the cast on shim in my 935 and it shoots where I look].
My vote is for the 935. I would go to a stocking dealer to buy as well. This will help with stock fitting and if you do have a problem.

Last edited:

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I know people with every grade of semi shotgun there is, and I don't know of any of them that will shoot light 2 3/4 light loads. The 1 1/8 pz dove loads cost the same as the light ones so its not a big deal to me. I paid $489 for my M2000 with the 28" duck barrel and the 24" turkey barrel and stock so I consider it a good deal. I only use my M3500 when goose or Swan hunting and have only shot 3.5 out of it expect when breaking it in.

I may be completely off base here but I have never had a problem with 1100/1187s cycling anything from cheap dove loads to buckshot. I also have an H&K Stamped Benelli M1-Super 90 (formerly fathers gun) that has been flawless for years.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

My Beretta will cycle any load at any time has had thousands of rounds through it and never and I mean never an issue ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamwayne

Yeah I completely agree, I have held both and they both feel good in the shoulder. I have not found a place where I can shoot either so thats why I am now looking at reviews. Im not looking for a high dollar safe queen. My shotguns get used hard all year so for me to drop anything over $8-900 is crazy.

adamwayne

I have heard that from a lot of guys but I have also heard guys who have never had any issues what so ever. I heard that Stoeger revamped the m3500 either this year or last to alleviate those issues.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Seems like that's all the more reason to spend more on a shotgun.
That's what I was thinking.

Use and abuse is one reason I didn't spending the $ for a Beretta A400. Three years of being soaked and sometimes partially submerged in salt water, covered in mud and everything you can imagine and I haven't had any trouble yet. If it broke tomorrow, I'd buy another one.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
i have a m3500, and would recommend it to anybody. The things ive put this gun through are downright unfair. Its been a paddle, broken more ice than most southern born and raised boys have seen in a life time, swam with the fish, and been used as a brush axe its whole life. I bought it with the intent of pushing it to the limits and finding its breaking point and have not found it yet. The gun has had over 5000 rounds through it in the past 4 years, with 6 cases of 3.5" duck loads being 100% confirmed. Between it and my 1100, i have a very stable, and cheap arsenal for chasing ducks. Stoeger warranty and customer service has been top notch too, as i broke the cocking lever the 2nd year i had it and all they asked for was my address and shipped the part.

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
I will vouch for the m3500 as well. The past 3 years it had taken quite a few beatings and is still going strong. It's been completley submerged at least twice in nasty muddy swamp water before legal shooting time and still performed. It takes the lead in thick briar patches. It hasn't had to break any ice, yet. I've shot every type of round with no malfunctions from 3.5" BBB at geese to the bulk box of skeet 2.75" rounds with a turkey choke tube and the recoil reducing weight installed the whole time. The only problem I've ever had was this past Saturday. After sitting in the swamp from the last flock of woodies until about 8:15am with the open side of the reciever facing up, the ice falling built up behind the bolt with out me noticing. When 3 mallards came in at 8:15, the first shot connected on the drake but the ice kept the bolt from sliding back far enough to eject and load the next round. All in all, it's been a $500 well spent.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
I may be completely off base here but I have never had a problem with 1100/1187s cycling anything from cheap dove loads to buckshot. I also have an H&K Stamped Benelli M1-Super 90 (formerly fathers gun) that has been flawless for years.
My son bought an 1187 sm and it wont cycle the light loads-- Its been a pain-- gun IMO was made for steel

ridenismo

Six Pointer
1187 i had was useless unless shooting high brass shells, it didnt matter what kind of light target loads you put in it, the thing was a bolt action.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
The old 1100's are by far the best at shooting what ever you put in them. Problem is most look to good to put in a swamp or duck blind.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
My son bought an 1187 sm and it wont cycle the light loads-- Its been a pain-- gun IMO was made for steel
How old is his 1187? The one I have was my grandfather's and is one of the older ones. I remember him dove hunting with it growing up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk