New SC dog hunting bill

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I dont care if 10 old men say they want to hunt where the dogs were that morning- i dont want to do my scouting and homework and have that factor to deal with when I go hunt. I do not run a dog club. I dont mind dog hunting as long as it is done on the land they lease. Simple as that.

Born and raised in NC since someone was polling

Easy buddy, don't run your blood pressure up over it.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I dont care if 10 old men say they want to hunt where the dogs were that morning- i dont want to do my scouting and homework and have that factor to deal with when I go hunt. I do not run a dog club. I dont mind dog hunting as long as it is done on the land they lease. Simple as that.

Born and raised in NC since someone was polling

This is where this argument goes both ways. All I want to know is when I'm at work someone is not trespassing on my land hunting. So do I push to have all hunting stopped. No, I try to deal with the individual and go about my business.

Heck, I don't like that land I've hunted my whole life for free is leased out to people from out of town that want to dictate my way of hunting. But it's part of the hunting world now. If you lease land in dog counties you have to understand that sometimes dogs will be on your land.

As a dog hunter I don't want my dogs on your land no more than you do. When dogs leave my land I am no longer deer hunting.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I'm a huge proponent of dog hunting if rules and common sense are followed.

If you have dogs on your land that you don't want, call the dog catcher. When owners have to pay to get them back, they'll be mindful and careful.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Why not a minimum acreage requirement?

Georgia has one.

Which would you rather have - a good dog hunting club on a smaller parcel or a bad dog hunting club on a larger parcel? Minimum acreage requirements punish the good clubs.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The squirrel season was extended as soon as a certain director retired. Had nothing to do with houndsmen.

I have mixed feelings about this bill. I grew up dog hunting with a group that does it right. This bill has some serious teeth that may end up biting some honest folks that are trying to do the right thing. That said, something needs to happen. Not saying it's this, but something.
Tricky Dick had already been retired when we started up and they laughed at us, but he was using the camo coalition to fight us. The first year we presented them with a petition with 4200 signatures and they conveniently lost it and said the didn't remember ever seeing it the next year. But we happend to have copies.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Dick was the only one in the commission that I know of that opposed lengthening the squirrel season. I remember him fighting it with the Camo coalition. It also takes a couple of years to send things through the regs process.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Why not a minimum acreage requirement?

Georgia has one.

If I own my land (which I do) and using dogs is a legal method of hunting what right does the state have to dictate how I hunt my parcel of land.

More government control......that's what we all need in our life

lowery63

Four Pointer
We can agree to disagree on keep the dog hunting since dogs cant read posted signs fine the dog owner 500 per dog per accurace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We can agree to disagree on keep the dog hunting since dogs cant read posted signs fine the dog owner 500 per dog per accurace

So it would be fair to fine you $500 when your pet comes off your 1/2 lot on to my 500 acre farm?

If you have a solution to a problem please make sure your solution is viable.

lowery63

Four Pointer
Go from talking about running deer with hounds to pets lord mercy

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

You said FINE THE DOG OWNER 500. Dog owner means: hounds, pet, service dog, sled dog etc..Might want to get all your ducks in a row.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So it would be fair to fine you $500 when your pet comes off your 1/2 lot on to my 500 acre farm?

If you have a solution to a problem please make sure your solution is viable.

Yes it would be fine. Maybe then some people would watch where their pets roam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I say require a still hunter to lease a minimum acreage and hunt a minimum distance from property lines to avoid trespass issues while tracking a wounded/shot deer. Lets see 500 yards ought to be a good radius. I haven't seen many deer go much further, but have seen them do so. That would be a minimum of 207 acres to hunt deer. Then you would have to hunt the center of your property because we can't be assured you will not trespass.

That would be about as asinine as dictating that a man can't deer hunt his on land, less than 1000 acres, with a dog unless the property is fenced.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I say require a still hunter to lease a minimum acreage and hunt a minimum distance from property lines to avoid trespass issues while tracking a wounded/shot deer. Lets see 500 yards ought to be a good radius. I haven't seen many deer go much further, but have seen them do so. That would be a minimum of 207 acres to hunt deer. Then you would have to hunt the center of your property because we can't be assured you will not trespass.

That would be about as asinine as dictating that a man can't deer hunt his on land, less than 1000 acres, with a dog unless the property is fenced.

Now you're talking Daron ! Lets take this before the country board....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Yes it would be fine. Maybe then some people would watch where their pets roam.

People say this until it really happens. Put animals in a fence and at some point, one will likely get out. Ever heard "never say never".

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And this, folks, is why we have a dog forum. Because dogs are completely unable to stay where they are supposed to stay.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was starting to wonder how much longer it was going to be before this got locked down....

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Oh I see....it's fine for a mans dog to run all over the county and others property because he can't be told what to do but a landowner who desires to not have dogs all over his property is screwed huh? He is more then welcome to deer hunt on his land in any way he sees fit. The problem arises is when he and his chosen hunting method impacts his neighbors and their use of their property that they own. It's a 2 way street.....so you can argue back and forth all you want but ultimate issue here is that one persons choice doesn't trump another use of their land as they see fit

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
bryguy, it is a two way street. Mutual respect goes a long way. Do I every have a dog that gets out of pocket? Sure. However, I am likely to have it up and out of where I don't want it in short time. I work really hard to get along with my neighbors and generally they have a positive view of me as a deer dog hunter. The new GPS and training collars make a huge difference in controlling the hounds. I just don't like getting beat over the head with legislation, when I'm one doing all I can to do it right. I dislike the rogues as much as anybody, all I can hope is the law enforcement can help stop them. I don't hunt with rogues or at least they don't hunt that way while I'm around because they know I don't put up with crap. I also let those in the community know that if they witness any of the guys causing problems while I'm not around, to let me know and it will be addressed.

Deep down I know legislation like this will be used to basically outlaw dog hunting, especially where two groups refuse to respect one another. I'm not sure it would not fuel more problems, if the perps are truly outlaws.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Folks, we sit here arguing amongst ourselves while the folks pushing this are absent or creeping this thread.
Trust me, still hunters are not behind this, more likely it is PETA or some other group off anti's.
They may be using still hunters as shills.
Deer dog hunters need to get their paid talkers to start talking IMO.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have made no secret that alot of my neighbors do no like my style of hunting I run hounds almost year round on my land.I have taken it upon myself if they complain one time to erect fencing on my land around their properties to make sure my hounds never enter their land there is only into their land and when I am running near said land I am near it so my hounds cannot get in it ,I could have built a fair size fox pen with all the fence I have put up and the fences are built just like a fox pen is 12 ft wire 2 foot in the ground with a 2ft overhang at the top.All the complaints have stopped now they now they complain they have no game on their land as I tell them you can't have it both ways I can keep my hounds off your land with the fence or I can take the fence down and there is a chance that someday one of my hounds may run across your land.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I agree we should all be united and support each other. However there are a lot of incidents where respect for each other is not given. Letting dogs go onto other peoples property and then saying that the dogs can't read maps. Still hunters trespassing on each others property and then acting like it is no big deal. It comes down to a having a sense of ethics and being respectful of each other.
this divide is how the anti's are going to win. If we don't gain a little respect for each other we will never be united and they will win.

Well said^^^^

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've never been the biggest fan of deer hunting with dogs, but used to thoroughly enjoy coon hunting with dogs. That automatically makes me a hypocrite in my own mind. Somehow, I used to rationalize it. My disdain for dog deer hunting comes from sitting in a diner in Danbury, NC on the morning of an unsuccessful hunt. I was in high school and my paycheck always went to hunting. I went before and after school. If I remember correctly, in 2003, deer dog hunting was illegal, or I just thought it was(either way, I hadn't heard of it and it didn't seem right) in Stokes county. I may be wrong, but I know the bag limit was 2 per day. 4 guys came in together jerking each other's wang about the 11 deer they just slayed. I was ticked off. Here I am, 17, spending the majority of my money and time on trying to do it right and these :donk:donk:donkclowns are loving life illegal(presumably) as sin, laughing about the confused yearlings they got just because they killed the mother first. If there is one thing I've learned in life, it's that there's always 10%, and that 10% will royally F it up for the other 90. If there's one thing I learned from being an IED Detection Dog Handler, it's that training a dog takes dedication. Training several takes more than that. I'm still not a proponent of deer dog hunting, but I can appreciate the true dog hunter that spends 10 times the hours training, than I do scouting. Do I agree with dog hunting for deer? Hell no. I've had one, and only one, experience with dog hunters and that ruined me. Can I appreciate his, a true dog hunter's, effort? Hell yes. To the true dog hunters, who really train their dogs, get that 10% in line before they turn other hunters. To still hunters like me, know that a hard core dog hunter puts more time in to training than most do scouting or even putting in plots. We also need to hone in our 10%. Hunt how you want to hunt. I don't have to like it, but I damn sure won't call you lazy... until I see the monster I have on camera in the same picture with a couple of dogs(that last bit is humor.) We can't keep ripping each other apart. The hunting and firearms community, in general, is going(I hope) to be on top for at least the next 4 years. We need to suck up our differences and support each other because nobody else is jumping on our bandwagon.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Where is the push to legalize dog hunting in the half of the state where it is not legal?

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Incorrect regarding wish list. A true wish list would read "Statewide, it shall be unlawful to hunt deer with dogs. Any and all protections and requirements for deer hunting with dogs shall be considered null and void." End of story.

You don't want your $50?