Quitting snuff

jim67

Eight Pointer
Ok all, I have been dipping Copenhegan for several years but I only dipped after supper, 2-4 dips in an evening depending on what I was doing. My new girlfriend hates it so I don't usually dip around her, have gone 2 days with her and no snuff but slipped up after I got home. The biggest reason I want to quit as its costing me around $80 a month which is a pretty good chunk since My ex wife left and only one income now, so I guess is, has anyone been through this?. I just love a big dip after a good meal and was wandering if there is anything to fill the void?

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
best thing I have found is stuff called smokey snuff. the wintergreen is the best and is most like dip. good luck!

ChasinTrophies

Sunflower seeds helped with the habitual part and toughing through to get past the cravings helped with the addiction part. You have to want it. Good luck!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Copenhagen ain't snuff. It's just dip. Snuff is fine and dry. :D

In all seriousness, good luck.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
.... My new girlfriend hates it so I don't usually dip around her, have gone 2 days with her and no snuff but slipped up after I got home. The biggest reason I want to quit as its costing me around $80 a month which is a pretty good chunk since My ex wife left and only one income now, so I guess is, has anyone been through this?. I just love a big dip after a good meal and was wandering if there is anything to fill the void?

Be easier to find a rich girlfriend…… Good Luck

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I chewed nicorette for a week and then went with straight chewing gum. Most people don't read the directions on the gum, but it is like dip. A couple chews and then you throw it between cheek and gum. I tried everything else many times and nicorette was the only thing that worked.

I should also add this... I wanted to quit. When I tried for other people (wife) it never lasted.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
I agree with FITZH20. I needed help with the nicotine addiction. I used nicotine gum and finally got off dip after using for 15 years. It took 3 months but it worked. That was about 5 years ago and I haven't touched it since. Still crave it every now and then but it usually goes away quickly. Don't think I would have been able to quit without the gum.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dipped for 14 years, quit when my buddy got diagnosed with cancer of the gums and had his jawbone scraped...that was enough for me, but yet he still dips.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I love it too much. And I've quit half a dozen times. Quitting is easy, staying off is hard. That one day at a time is cliched but still true. Good luck to the OP.

quackNcluck

Six Pointer
Been there myself...dipped Cope for 12 years but decided to quit because of intense acid reflux. I had my last one Labor day of this year. I dont know if this will help you but I made myself a promise I'd buy a new hunting rifle as a reward....in which I still haven't bought lol

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
11 years dipping and smoking and the only way I could quit was cold turkey. Cravings went away after about a week and a half other than occasionally. Cravings only last 3 minutes so keep that in mind. As others stated you have to want to quit for yourself.... Quit for 3.5 years and started back on my wedding day :skeerd:....good luck!

Last edited:

mdunker

Ten Pointer
Change to Smokey Mountain and nicotine gum if you need it. Then slowly stop using the Smokey Mountain. Worked for a lot of folks I know.

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
I started dipping at age 13 and dipped at least a can if not 2 a day from age 17 to 39. Only way for me was cold turkey. I still want one everyday but the cravings do start to shy off after about 3 months. My son asked me to quit and then I made up my mind I would and haven't had one in over a year.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I really don't have a dog in the hunt as I've never done Tobacco products other than testing as a teenager. The math would make me want to stop. $80/month x 12 x 30 years is close to $29,000 that will end up costing you more in health problems when it could be compounding interest. That's if the price stays static which it won't. I know it'll be tougher than that, but that's how I'd look at it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Sunflower seeds helped.... You have to want it. Good luck!

Exactly, you have to make it up in your mind to quit and stand by your guns. All that other stuff is just a crutch to lean on.

I smoked for 35 years and threw them in the trash, cold turkey. Been smoke free for about 10 years now.

I quit 10 years ago ,and I quit cold turkey. I dipped a can a day when I quit.You have to make your mind up to quit ans just quit .It was very hard to quit ,but you can do it if you put your mind to it.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck , I started when I was 14 with grizzly wintergreen and started Copenhagen snuff at 16 and have been using it ever since

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Been there myself...dipped Cope for 12 years but decided to quit because of intense acid reflux. I had my last one Labor day of this year. I dont know if this will help you but I made myself a promise I'd buy a new hunting rifle as a reward....in which I still haven't bought lol

This is why I quit...plus it's a really stupid habit to do....even though I loved it early in the morning deer hunting.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Dipped for at least 25 years (from high school back in the early '80s up until 2007 or so) all though most of that time I was never a heavy dipper, maybe just 2-3 a day after meals, with the exception of several deployments which meant that if I was awake (sometimes for 36-48 hours at a time) I had a dip in. Back in 2007, maybe very early 2008, I took the last dip out of a can, put it in my lip and as I threw the empty can in the trash, I said that was the last can. I've been dip free ever since. You bet it has been hard at times, especially on a couple of deployments when the stress factors got high, but I never caved in. I had family and friends send me tubes or rolls of dip during those times, but I used them for giving out to my Soldiers as atta boys. Made some of their faces light up more so than an ARCOM.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Kids will kill the purchase of new guns.......unless you are buying one for your kid! I haven't bought a new gun for myself in 21 years(When Barrett was born).

Smoked for 30 years.......just quit the Thursday before Labor Day last year. I could still eat a pack right now! I still love to smell one, but I am done......I have made my mind up that I will never go back......if your mind aint right it will not work.

Good luck to the OP!

SpearDiver

Button Buck
I wish you the best of luck. I am great at quitting Copenhagen, my problem is I am even better at starting back up again. As said before, I had the best luck with Nicorette easing the cravings and it helped with my mood to not turn into a flaming a hole.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
best thing I have found is stuff called smokey snuff. the wintergreen is the best and is most like dip. good luck!

I quit cold turkey but my buddy quit by using this stuff. The need just to have the taste and feel in your lip is something that can be challenging to a lot of folks who are trying to quit. This can help alleviate that. It did for him.

http://www.smokeysnuff.com/faq.html

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I've quit many times and need to make the decision to quit for good. I only have 2-3 dips a day and do a can a week, maybe a little more during hunting season. I'm 40 now, at that age when I'm going to start paying for lifestyle choices. Best of luck.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Had a buddy who quit by using coffee he would dip it took about 2-3 months and he was off. I would kill someone if I quit. But I'm with y'all on the acid reflux I take a prescription and otc daily.

Last edited:

dundee29

I have quit smoking and dipping for 8 years now and couldn't be happier . Its about being healthier if that's what you want to do. In order to stop something its not a good idea create another habit. You just have to quit cold turkey , and all in all you have to want to QUIT . If not its not going to last.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Better quit while you can. I quit smoking cig. for dip. Then one day my son showed up with some cig...I started back and was doing both. Had my throat stretched twice(acid reflux) and now every time I set down to eat...usually the first bite of food hangs in my throat to the point...I have to throw it up. This is a every day thing for me now. I have back trouble too and when I wake up in the morning..my back felt decent until I smoked a dam cig. in the morning...then the muscles in my back would start cramping and I would pay for it all day long. Its called oxygen deprived pain. I wanted to quit and did using the nicotine patches. I'm on week 20 something now. I still want one from time to time but my mind is set....no more...I'm done. I still have back pain but its no where near as bad. I think you have to get your mind set to quit..then go from there. Good Luck.

I used the patches for about 6 weeks and that really helped me.

Last edited:

VikingsFan8178

I needed something that was similar to having a dip and that was a Nicotine Lozenge (instead of the gum). I used those for months because it would give me the nicotine fix without having to use the actual tobacco product. Once I got off the tobacco train, I picked a day on the calendar and changed from the lozenge to a combo of the sugarless peppermints & a 12 week nicotine patch program. At the end of 12 weeks, I was weaned off the nicotine and left with a mean sugar free peppermint habit.

So it took me about a year to quit everything. I just could not imagine going cold turkey. I was going through a can a day easily. Been off of it for about 15 years now. So glad I found a way to stop.

sealevel

Button Buck
Spent my whole career dipping Cope and when I was deployed I basically lived off of it. Quit cold turkey couple times but started back a few years later each time. Gum recession finally resulted in a graft and you ain't really lived until you've had the donor tissue sliced off the roof of your mouth. Finally quit for good and used the Smokey Mtn stuff quite a bit for awhile; worked fine. On the up side, during all the years I dipped I was never troubled by worms or lengthy relationships.