Dog Food opinions needed

buckrutt29

Four Pointer
What dog food do you feed, prices and protein / fat ratio ? I am currently feeding the black bag Showtime 24/20 at $24.50 a bag. It holds my hounds up pretty good.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I feed Black Gold Performance Blend 26/18,I buy it by the ton works out to about 21.00 a bag.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm feed The Pride 27/20, seems to be a decent feed. I liked Black Gold 26/18, but the price here got to high, over $30. I use to buy it by the pallet. I believe it was 23, 50# bags to a pallet.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I had a guy ask me what I was feeding? He ask how did my dogs look like they did after hunting them several days a week all season. I replied I throw the food to them.

Back when the dog food prices went out of the roof, I feed Black Gold 26/18, Plantation 24/20 and The Pride 27/18(blue bag). I switched the diet back and fourth and never saw a change in the dogs' stools. That told me a lot about the feeds. I stuck with The Pride 27/18 where I bought it from was 10 to 20 miles closer. I only had to go 1/4 mile to buy it. Since then just about all the mills that produce dog feeds have changed the formulas to stay profitable. When I couldn't get The Pride 27/18 any longer, I switched to feeding Sportsman's Pride 26/18 and it seemed to do well, but I had 3 that wouldn't eat it. The other dogs gobbled it down. So, I changed to The Pride 27/20 and all is good now, but I think those picky eaters are wanting steak!

buckrutt29

Four Pointer
When i was in high school I remember feeding Tomboy dog food. It was a 21/10 corn main ingredient food and it kept em good through hunting season after season. I know a dog is a carnivore and needs meat to maintain but are we over doing it these days with all this feed thats out there ? Just me thinking out loud. Lol. Oh forgot to add that the Tomboy was $9.25 a 50lb bag. Haha

Last edited:

boomer

Twelve Pointer
We fed Tomboy too, it was made in Broadway NC at the time. I feed Retriever Hi Pro from Tractor Supply. Dogs do very well on it and seem to like it. I ,too, have a few dogs that are picky eater and if they like it , and stay in good shape I will stick with it.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Victor 24/20 red bag, 32.50 a 40lb bag - Awesome feed dog hold up extremely well under hard pressured hunting on this

ENC Bone Collector

Eight Pointer
RJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Where are you buying your feed from?????.......I will buy 2 tons at a time.

thanks

No kidding! Where are you finding Black Gold for $21 a bag?

I'm currently feeding Showtime 24/20. It's the best I've found for a decent price, just under $23 a bag by the ton after tax. Tried the Showtime 27/20, but couldn't tell a bit of difference.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I buy direct from Black Gold,just like I am a distributor.I know the guys that use to own it fox hunted with them for many years.I have a 2 year contract with them it is up this year I am sure my price per ton will change as they sold the company in 2015 there were certain price increases built into the contract but they maxed out at a little over $21 and some change a bag per ton.As with everything you buy if you put a middleman in it prices go up.

Last edited:

ENC Bone Collector

Eight Pointer
I buy direct from Black Gold,just like I am a distributor.I know the guys that use to own it fox hunted with them for many years.I have a 2 year contract with them it is up this year I am sure my price per ton will change as they sold the company in 2015 there were certain price increases built into the contract but they maxed out at a little over $21 and some change a bag per ton.As with everything you buy if you put a middleman in it prices go up.

Last distributor I talked to about 2 years ago couldn't even get it himself for much less than $30.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
It also has something to do with the fact that I started buying their dog food shortly after they stated making it and I have always dealt directly with the owners,now I will be dealing with a salesman which is sure to be interesting.Sometimes it is all about who you know.

Last edited:

treestock

Four Pointer
ive fed river run, southern states, country value, diamond, and the list goes on all ratios of fat to protien. im back to feeding ol roy and just throwing alot of it to them. biggest difference ive seen is the intake vs waste. got away from kennels to an open run where i aint gotta clean pens but when i was cleaning kennels everyday i liked southern states 24/20. kept them filled out with less mess