USFWS and Red Woofs are headed to Bertie, Martin, Halifax and North Hampton Counties

Jett

Ten Pointer
USFWS and Red Woofs are headed to Bertie, Martin, Halifax and Northampton Counties

Roanoke River

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is hosting a series of open house meetings to provide information and solicit input on the proposed expansion of the acquisition boundary of Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge located in Bertie County, North Carolina.

The proposed expansion will help to achieve several goals: conservation of the most extensive bottomland hardwood forest on the East Coast, improvement of the region's water quality, and overall preservation of a functional landscape on the peninsula.

The proposed expansion area encompasses the floodplain of the Roanoke River in Bertie, Martin, Halifax, Northampton and Washington Counties.

Comments and questions may also be emailed to roanokerivernwr@fws.gov; mailed to U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, P.O. Box 430, Windsor, NC 27983; or telephoned to 252-794-3808.

Public Open Houses

Monday, January 23rd

6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Halifax County

TJ Davis Recreation Center

400 E. 6th Street, Roanoke Rapids, NC

Tuesday, January 24th

Martin County

Martin County Extension Office

104 Kehukee Park Rd, Williamston, NC

Wednesday, January 25th

6:00 - 8:00p.m.

Bertie County

Windsor Community Building

201 S. Queen Street, Windsor, NC

Thursday, January 26th

Northampton County

Northampton Recreation Center

9536 NC HWY 305, Jackson, NC

Friday, January 27th

Washington County

Washington County Extension Office

128 E. Water Street, Plymouth, NC

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
This would possibly benefit fish, reptiles and ducks. Anything else needs a snorkel to survive on land managed by USFWS.

Don't most of these refuges already complain about being underfunded and not enough man power to maintain the current refuges? The USFWS has proven it can't maintain the land it already has, why give them more?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the heads up. What are they planning on doing purchasing all the NCWRC game lands on the Roanoke (Roanoke River Wetlands)? I can see it now, permits required and no night hunting of coyotes. Not to mention reporting requirements.

The coy-wolves already come up this far, wonder if they will admit that as to why the USFSW wants to expand. Next will be Edgecombe and Nash to protect them on the Tar River drainage.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the heads up. What are they planning on doing purchasing all the NCWRC game lands on the Roanoke (Roanoke River Wetlands)? I can see it now, permits required and no night hunting of coyotes. Not to mention reporting requirements.

The coy-wolves already come up this far, wonder if they will admit that as to why the USFSW wants to expand. Next will be Edgecombe and Nash to protect them on the Tar River drainage.

The state owns the land (or leases the land) on the Martin county side. The Feds own the land in Bertie county. The Bertie county side is where they are wanting to expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I would imagine that they want to try to link the town swamp/ company swamp/ Conine island/askew tracts to give them a corridor along the river. I have hunted the federal tracts some and other then no hunts after thanksgiving and no waterfowl hunting on certain tracts it's not a big deal. All the tracts in the RR are require permits so no change coming there

Jett

Ten Pointer
The impact imposed on the private land is what concerns me.

Whatever USFWS promises you in these public meetings or even in their very own Federal Rules published in their very own Federal Register, will be worthless as the red wolf restoration scandal in Hyde, Dare, Tyrrell, Washington and Beaufort counties has now proven. USFWS is arrogant and holds themself above the law and has absolutely no respect at all for their neighbors and even less respect for honesty and integrity.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The state owns the land (or leases the land) on the Martin county side. The Feds own the land in Bertie county. The Bertie county side is where they are wanting to expand.

I have hunted that around Hamilton. That what I was wondering if the USFWS was going to purchase the state owned land. I don't think the USFWS owns any of the land in Halifax and Northampton.

I am also concerned about new local laws concerning coyote or general hunting and trapping.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have hunted that around Hamilton. That what I was wondering if the USFWS was going to purchase the state owned land. I don't think the USFWS owns any of the land in Halifax and Northampton.

I am also concerned about new local laws concerning coyote or general hunting and trapping.

Wonder if that land is owned by the nature conservancy or one of those other groups that have been buying the large tracts and adding them to the game lands program. Or if the Feds have found some land owners who are looking to sell larger tracts

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Based on how the USFWS has walked over the 5 county area, these meetings may be a formality; a blip on their timetable. Traditional approaches have not worked since they told us years ago that the primary prey for the wolves would be raccoons...I heard that in one of the early meetings. These animals could very well (genetically) impact every southeastern state. The iron is incredibly hot right now in 5-6 states dealing with coyote/fawn predation. Nobody wants an infusion of genetics.

There is a new sheriff in DC and rural America put him there. There are politicians that will respond to correspondence/phone calls from their constituents and the issue should come from several states. Numerous internet forums communicate about similar subjects and the right message across these forums has the potential to generate significant action.

I'm sure that it has been discussed....Trump has a family member that could play a role.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every person in those counties and all counties that touch them need to be fully aware of what lies they have told, the impact those animals has caused as far as loss of landowner rights and be ready to fight this prior to it happening. As witnessed by past deeds once it happens it is too late.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I found this interesting while looking for a link: to the notice.

November 16, 2016
The Martin County Board of Commissioners met in Regular Session on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 (Instead of November 9, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the Martin County Governmental Center, Commissioners’ Boardroom at 305 East Main Street, Williamston, North Carolina

Planned Expansion of the Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge
Mr. Matt Connolly, from the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) office in Windsor, asked to make a presentation to the Board of Commissioners meeting about the planned expansion of the Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge (online at http://www.fws.gov/roanokeriver/).
Mr. Connolly explained the US Fish and Wildlife Service was proposing an expansion of the acquisition boundary of the Roanoke Boundary of the Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge to conserve and restore fish and wildlife habitat, while helping to preserve a rural landscape, protect water quality and support public recreational and educational opportunities. If approved, the USFWS would increase the boundary of the Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge by working solely with “willing landowners” to conserve land through a combination of fee-title purchase and conservation easements, depending on annual federal funding. No property would be acquired through condemnation.
According to Mr. Connolly, no more than 58,100 acres would be purchased in Martin County, roughly five percent (5%). US Fish and Wildlife Service would have to apply for military funds (approximately $38 million is available). Normal rules for federal grants would not apply because this funding would be handled as non-federal monies.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So wonder how many acres are in the state portion of the RRGL?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If you just read the pictures I posted, you can see that they have been planning for the Roanoke River Basin to be a part of the "Red Woof" recovery area for some time.

I also think the wording on the Bear as it pertains to hunting is somewhat alarming... I really think the word needs to get out on this ASAP.

The USFWS has no chance of getting NC citizen support if the woof is involved.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I have gotten the word out as best I can in those areas and plenty of people say they are going to the meeting. I got LEO's, farmers and hunters going to express their voices that they don't want this in their area.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have gotten the word out as best I can in those areas and plenty of people say they are going to the meeting. I got LEO's, farmers and hunters going to express their voices that they don't want this in their area.

My .02,
EVERY HUNTER IN THIS STATE NEEDS TO VOICE THEIR OPPOSITION TO THIS, ALL OF THEM.
This is just another western move with this manmade apex predator. They are already roaming as far as Person,Wake, Randolph and Moore counties.
The woof lovers/anti hunters and others want every inch of NC overrun by these hybrids and have the money to get it done.
If you are a small game hunter, your game is at risk more than deer.
Listen folks, the woof lovers have been told that these ARE NOT a native species but they still pursue their goal.
Burn up the NCGA e-mail, phones and even go to Raleigh in person to try and stop this.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
USFWS is still on the lack of a "top predator" kick. I guess hunters don't fit the definition? Also, the first time USFWS used the "lack of a top predator" term, coyotes were not here. The coyote hurdle alone will be impossible for them to explain.

Total scam.... targeting the voters/sheep that that lost their way in the recent election.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
My problem is I can't make it out there for any of the meetings, so I am reaching out to everyone I know that may be able to.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
That plan in the link was written in 2005 when the Red Wolf Program was going strong. Question; has that not changed? Will that program be eliminated from the 2005 plan?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
That plan in the link was written in 2005 when the Red Wolf Program was going strong. Question; has that not changed? Will that program be eliminated from the 2005 plan?

The only thing we have to go on at this point is #1. The Red Woof program is still going. #2. The USFWS has trampled private property rights with brazen abuse. #3. We can only predict them to do what they have done in the past. Their past history is tell the people what they want to hear on the front end, get it passed, and do what they want, when they want once they get approval. It seems the USFWS answers to noone.

We should all assume the Red Wolf Program to be continued and possibly remodeled for the Roanoke River Corridor. That possibility needs to be vigorously renounced at every single meeting in every county.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The only thing we have to go on at this point is #1. The Red Woof program is still going. #2. The USFWS has trampled private property rights with brazen abuse. #3. We can only predict them to do what they have done in the past. Their past history is tell the people what they want to hear on the front end, get it passed, and do what they want, when they want once they get approval. It seems the USFWS answers to noone.

We should all assume the Red Wolf Program to be continued and possibly remodeled for the Roanoke River Corridor. That possibility needs to be vigorously renounced at every single meeting in every county.

^^The political route driven by public input and associated connections is the only answer.

The USFWS admits nothing. Response to public input is nonexistent and resulting screw-ups are spectacular. The fiasco with management of the midwest Snow Goose population explosion and associated destruction of arctic tundra nesting areas is a good example.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Remember, these meetings are now taking place.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-25%20at%206.06.16%20AM.png

USFWS and Red Woofs are headed to Bertie, Martin, Halifax and Northampton Counties

Roanoke River

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is hosting a series of open house meetings to provide information and solicit input on the proposed expansion of the acquisition boundary of Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge located in Bertie County, North Carolina.

The proposed expansion will help to achieve several goals: conservation of the most extensive bottomland hardwood forest on the East Coast, improvement of the region's water quality, and overall preservation of a functional landscape on the peninsula.

The proposed expansion area encompasses the floodplain of the Roanoke River in Bertie, Martin, Halifax, Northampton and Washington Counties.

Comments and questions may also be emailed to roanokerivernwr@fws.gov; mailed to U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, P.O. Box 430, Windsor, NC 27983; or telephoned to 252-794-3808.

Public Open Houses

Monday, January 23rd

Halifax County

TJ Davis Recreation Center

400 E. 6th Street, Roanoke Rapids, NC

Tuesday, January 24th

Martin County

Martin County Extension Office

104 Kehukee Park Rd, Williamston, NC

Wednesday, January 25th

6:00 - 8:00p.m.

Bertie County

Windsor Community Building

201 S. Queen Street, Windsor, NC

Thursday, January 26th

Northampton County

Northampton Recreation Center

9536 NC HWY 305, Jackson, NC

Friday, January 27th

Washington County

Washington County Extension Office

128 E. Water Street, Plymouth, NC

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
bollweevil and I own a farm that borders the Roanoke and is right across the river from Devreux swamp. I wish I would have seen this earlier I would not have made plans for tonight. To hell with the wolves and them acquiring more land.