armed driver saves trooper's life, kills attacker

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw this on CNN this morning. I was surprised they reported on it, but it is definitely good publicity for us!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
It was posted in the feel good thread but having a dedicated one where the good guys win is not a problem.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This ought to occur a lot more than it does. After all, there's a lot more of us (armed citizens/good guys) than there are law enforcement officers out there. I think as things continue to decline, more and more people are going to have to shore up the efforts of those tasked with keeping the peace by getting involved in incidents like this.

Not to derail the thread, but it might be a good opportunity to highlight some pertinent stuff;

The good guy in this case asked the officer if he wanted help and the Trooper replied, "Yes". This mitigates the officer involved from feeling threatened by a 3rd party. Most cops will tell you that 3rd party involvement is usually a bad thing, so this addresses that concern directly.

Secondly, the good guy had to retrieve a gun from his vehicle to dispatch the bad guy who had already shot the Trooper. I'm glad there was time and opportunity to do this as it could have been a bad day for both of them. A gun in your car isn't the same as carrying it on your person.

I'd like to live to see the day when being a criminal in this country was a dangerous endeavor. Back in 1876, the good citizens in Northfield MN set the example that we should be routinely exercising.

A fella can wish can't he?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As folks see that this type of "help" is not only tolerated under the new administration but is now being seen as a positive thing and the armed citizen is being portrayed by the MSM as a "hero", maybe personal carry will be viewed by more of the population to be a positive thing, or even better a non-issue.
Law Enforcement should make a statement in each of these cases that would let the public know how to properly assist a person being attacked in whatever manner the situation was at the time. I understand that John Q Public should not see themselves as an officer of justice, but certainly should be able to see themselves as someone who has contributed to the betterment of society by their willingness to help. I would love to see waiting lines for training in firearms as well as self defense....people need to understand that the police officers are 99% reactive to a situation and that the public has the ability and the responsibility to be proactive to the same situation.

GregC

Six Pointer
I think it does occur a lot more than we know - stupid media doesn't report it. Good for this guy and he saved the state a couple of million by not going to trial. If the stupid media would report more of this maybe we would have less crime.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Even though it is a positive for the armed citizen the author couldn't stop the self from making a jab.

"It was not unusual that the passing driver was armed in this gun-friendly state with loose regulations."

*bold added for effect.

Last edited:

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Great job by the passer by. I hope he does not face any grief going forward legally. Family members of the man shot filing law suit etc.

Harpoon

Even though it is a positive for the armed citizen the author couldn't stop the self from making a jab.

"It was not unusual that the passing driver was armed in this gun-friendly state with loose regulations."

*bold added for effect.

I caught that as well......if they "had" to pribnt a pro gun story, they just couldnt resist putting in their jab(s)...also made comment about open carry before they were a state....

Great job by the passer by. I hope he does not face any grief going forward legally. Family members of the man shot filing law suit etc.

Arizona has a “defense of third person” law that allows someone to use deadly force against another who is threatening or injuring a third person. It was not unusual that the passing driver was armed in this gun-friendly state with loose regulations.