Lousiana moves to change turkey season

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Same discussion many South east states are having and one NC will have down the road and really should have now. Opening season April 1st is just to to early but hey why use biology to protect the birds got to placate the masses that is what is important right:mad:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Same discussion many South east states are having and one NC will have down the road and really should have now. Opening season April 1st is just to to early but hey why use biology to protect the birds got to placate the masses that is what is important right:mad:

Youth week is for the kids though.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i sure wish VA would do this. It was great back when the season opened later then was open two weeks after the nc season was closed.

being a typical turkey hunter i want the seasons to fit with my needs and narratives. :)

on a serious note the great southeast turkey decline is happening, we are just now lucky to not be as advanced on that curve as the rest of the southeast.

if the trend continues there might actually be folks that come to NC to hunt turkeys.

Wouldnt that be a twist?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, if our population declines too much, we are going to have to go to a youth month so the kids will have a decent shot at getting one.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Would take something drastic for Va to change season dates even though biology says that it opens to early west of Blue Ridge. Hunter pressure to open season early to often rules Wv will now open week earlier than their normal due to this and with them having a healthy turkey population there is no other reason to do this other than hunters wanting some easy kills we'll see how it goes right now I plan on being in Mcdowell or Mingo county mid to 3rd week April kids out school for Easter break and wife wanting to visit some family so if I got to be in West Va might as well mae most of it

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well, if our population declines too much, we are going to have to go to a youth month so the kids will have a decent shot at getting one.

and probably open about March 25th so to get the toms when they first start gobbling and will run to call so fast only way to stop em from running you over is shot in the noggin. Of course dead birds don't breed

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Biologists all over the Southeast have been expecting this.... Pine plantations are the big culprit for declining wild turkey populations. Too many landowners do nothing for wildlife when they cut their timber and plant pines again and again. No foodplot plantings ,No burning just a desert of pines. I see it down at the dog club in Scotland county. Kind of sad, was starting to happen in places like Northampton and Halifax in 2012. My brother and I took a 60 acre pine plantation and put in a 1/3 acre food plot strip. The turkeys love it. Just a little makes a difference.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Add to the pine plantations the huge amount of developments that took up so much habitat turkeys can't nest in a cul de sac I don't know about everywhere but in foot hills we have tone of what would have been prime turkey habitat farmland plenty openings hardwoods tons nesting but most of that now is homes with small woodlots since 90's . Them add to that the increase in population equals increase in hunters on land that is left trying to find a place to turkey hunt between Morganton and east of Raleigh is awful tough task