Plastic Broadheads...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Broadhead prices are ridiculous these days, but...

Every hunter has a collection of much-used second or third tier arrows intended for non-trophy game or animals intended for the family dinner table.

^Interesting... direct marketing to the meat hunter.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can go for some of that marketing. I know i try to keep an old arrow/broadhead in the quiver for coyotes or something kike that. Tough to blow $20-$30 on a coyote.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Broad head prices are high nowadays but I have no problem paying 45 dollars for a pack of three for the quality. Knock on wood I haven't lost a deer or had a difficult tracking job with G5 strikers.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Quality on the china rage and high dollar one is the same, and I dont see anything about made in USA on most broadhead packs nowadays

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I would rather buy someones old broadhead's they were going to toss and resharpen them to be honest. I cant imagine that blade would hold up after hitting a shoulder blade but I do know this....I wont be the guy that finds out.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I shoot single bevel 2 blade Tuffheads. They're $20 each but are built to last. Ill shoot anything with them.

ChasinTrophies

I was thinking recurve, wing shooting or even turkey hunting. I'd probably wing shoot geese with them! It'd be interesting to mess with them.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I might try them out. One shot was from 80 yards. One thing I did notice, it seemed most of the bow were low poundage. I might get a 50 pack and shoot all grades of stuff from inanimate objects to game. I would not under estimate the polymers developed with todays' technology.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I am intrigued by them. I have a pack of them but have not shot them yet. My initial impression is I do not like the serrations. It gives the heads a poor mechanical advantage IMO, but then again it may be the only way to cut through anything with polymer. I plan on using them as my "aint nothing safe" arrow...small game, coyotes etc. for $1 that seems rational; I never could justify launching a brand new $10-15 broadhead at anything other than a deer.

Last edited:

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Did half of y'all watch the videos? If they can take down a hog they are plenty good for deer I would say.

Interesting concept, however, I'm not a fan of the 2 blade.

I like how cold steel and the relentless pursuit guys go outside the box. Refreshing compared to the hunting industry norms.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeah but who the heck is the dude with the died blonde hair and dark beard? interesting blend,,,,,,,,,,,

as to the broadheads,,,,,interesting concept,,,,,,but as far as cheap,,,,the arrow costs a hunk as well,,,,,,

Arrowhead

I saw them at the ATA show. DO they have any data on them hitting bone? Do they shatter or splinter? wouldn't want any in my processed meat.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A friend and fellow traditional archer(who happened to be a butcher) bought a pack of them. Couldn't get them to cut paper. Not sure I'd use them for anything serious....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
A friend and fellow traditional archer(who happened to be a butcher) bought a pack of them. Couldn't get them to cut paper. Not sure I'd use them for anything serious....

that's what I am thinking how they will turn out,,,but I have wasted money on worse things,,,,,,,,I'll be the Guinea pig

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Here's the thing, if you get your bow tuned to shoot them, they will work for you and kill deer too.
BUT if you have no idea how to tune your bow or don't get help from someone who has tuned bows before, you need not try shooting ANY 2 bladed head.
A few tips on shooting any 2 bladed head.
If your bow will handle 5" feathers use them on properly spined arrows, don't worry about speed worry about accuracy.
Spin all your arrows/heads,if they won't spin,they won't fly well.
Shoot alot and have a pro watch and help you if he sees any form issues.
Lastly, small bullet heads are easy to tune for and they are very forgiving of small form errors.
Larger heads, esp the 2 bladed kind are not nearly as forgiving, they will sometimes fly badly at the least little hiccup in your form.
I will shoot some of them this fall and find out for myself.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree completely that tuning is paramount and a poorly tuned shaft flying at any degree of sideways at impact severely limits penetration. I've learned to become near OCD about it, tempered by the fact that without good form and a clean release, tuning is a moot point. The latter however is a situation where the archer has some control. He/she can learn, practice, improve, and overcome.

A broadhead should also pass a few tests before it ends up on the front of an arrow. Anybody's arrow. First it should be hair-popping sharp, scary sharp, with a point capable of penetrating hide with minimal pressure. With traditional equipment that's even more important and why we favor a cut-on-contact.

Videos I've watched by those who have tried these new broadheads already have proved that these have neither of those qualities. When you can't cut notebook paper and it requires enough downforce to bend the shaft waaayyy past anything it will encounter in paradox before penetrating a stretched piece of hide I'll pass on them for anything serious. Rabbits with Adders behind them, varmints maybe, on some $3 Walmart arrows for fun.

I think they're posing a question that's already been answered by all but the inexperienced new archer on a budget. And losing a few $12-$15 shafts over a $2 broadhead will cure that pretty quickly.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,. And losing a few $12-$15 shafts over a $2 broadhead will cure that pretty quickly.

that's what I've been scratching my head on,,,,,,,it's the arrow to me way more than what's on the end of it when it comes to $$$$,,,,,,,

guess I am a cheap butt,,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
kind of reminds me of when some folks were touting plastic and glass knives back in the 80s,,,,,you could get them through security,,,,,,even had a fellow had one made to go behind the flash on his beret,,,,,,,,,,,

plastic edged weapons (knives, broadheads, whatever) can kill,,,,,but are they better than steel??? not so far,,,,

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
yeah but who the heck is the dude with the died blonde hair and dark beard? interesting blend,,,,,,,,,,,

as to the broadheads,,,,,interesting concept,,,,,,but as far as cheap,,,,the arrow costs a hunk as well,,,,,,

His name is Buck....seriously

he does a lot of spear and blowgun hunting for cold steel and the Relentless Pursuit TV show.